Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

V5 Performance reevaluated

13 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

To see what v5 can do, make sure you have a great video card and then give it a workout - Orbx TrueEarth is a good example, because there are a lot of objects for a GPU to render. Turn the water up to max (not something you can get in v4), crank up Truesky, turn on lots of shadows and reflections and fly.

The problem with trying to compare it with v4 is that 1. much of the point of v5 is enhanced atmospherics and complex water, but you can't compare that with v4  and 2. you need a use situation that pushes the GPU, and the hardware to match it.

I have a top end computer, one of the best, probably in the top three you can purchase. Yes V5 looks very very good, however it is a no go for VFR flying due to morphing terrain textures and mesh. Simple as that. 

39 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I have a top end computer, one of the best, probably in the top three you can purchase. Yes V5 looks very very good, however it is a no go for VFR flying due to morphing terrain textures and mesh. Simple as that. 

I did a test last night in a mountainous area to check on morphing and terrain popping.  Granted, I did this is a slow airplane, but I figure that's what we would be doing VFR in anyway, typically.

What I found was that it was almost non-existent (i.e. the same as with 4.5HF2), or at worst at a low level.

If you're getting massive amounts of terrain popping then something is amiss...

A little morph and pop YES, but if things are running and set properly, very little.  If you have a top end computer, you should be able to reproduce the same.  I realize what is a lot of morph and pop to one person, may not be much to another, but suffice it to say, I had to really LOOK for and watch for morphing, to see any.  It was there, but it wasn't prevalent.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

39 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Hi, it's not "a no go" and "as simple as that" for VFR. That's massively overstating the issue with some minor problems with the new sim OR you have a problem with your install.

I've flown 100% VFR GA - almost all with A2A planes - since the hotfix install (as I haven't got around to reinstalling the NGXu yet).

This is the most fun I've had with VFR flying in any sim, ever - and I'm updating to 11.50b6 in the background as I type this, so I'm fully open to other opportunities.

I have minor problems with my 12.5 cm per pixel and 25 cm per pixel photoscenery sometimes being slow to update (texture pop), mainly a problem when I'm looking down and pixel peeping from flying way too low. At normal flight altitudes, it's not something that I notice. 

VFR flying with enhanced atmospherics and good orthoscenery (enhanced Trueearth in my case) is beautiful. If I can get Vulcan X-Plane to look as good I'll skip back to that - at least some of the time - but right now P3D v5 is the best-looking VFR sim out there.

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I agree, when it works it looks brilliant! 
For example, if I take off from Oban, Scotland, with true earth orbx, I have zero morphing. 
However as soon as I go to Madeira island, using orbx LC and textures, the popping is insane! Surely it should be less to process there so should technically be better performance that Oban area. It’s got me scratching my head! 

21 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

For example, if I take off from Oban, Scotland, with true earth orbx, I have zero morphing. 
However as soon as I go to Madeira island, using orbx LC and textures, the popping is insane! Surely it should be less to process there so should technically be better performance that Oban area. It’s got me scratching my head! 

I wonder if it is a scenery design issue.. Orbx KHAF, flying north along the coast is terrible, Alaska is fine..  Not sure what the difference would be.. 

• Like 1

Bert

I had the popping textures and the blurries issue with V5 but they went away in V5 hotfix and a fresh re install of Orbx LC and California.  I do use texture bandwidth multiplier at 60 instead of thirty to help with the popping as I don't notice it that much anymore.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

50 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Madeira mesh has always been problematic in ESP sims, the Aerosoft addon fixes that but i would stay sway from madeira when testing!

I would be suspicious of your addon scenery install, as per the comments from others above.

My VFR flying in TrueEarth uk has been very satisfying. Though incidently, Oban airport was the first place i hit one of those infamous invisible brick walls in the release version!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Such performance was not available in P3Dv4.5      All sliders to the right

Over London TrueEarth - GB, I got strong stuttering. And then there is Heathrow and 747!

It is only possible to obtain CTD due to the excess of the video card memory.))) But they will fix it, I think,,,,,,

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

On 5/9/2020 at 7:27 PM, Chapstick said:

Here's a quick FPS comparison. 

FSDT KORD 28R in the 747-8 VC

V4 - 40
V5 - 45

Drzewiecki JFK 31L in the 747-8 VC, looking toward the terminals where FPS really takes a hit.

V4 - 25
V5 - 26

This is with AS and AIG. 

If there's a performance improvement here, it's nothing to write home about. And for people on the fence about V5, it doesn't seem like there's much point jumping in during this transition period. 

I have ActiveSky and AIG as well, but by comparison I increased fps from high 20's to high 30's/low 40's with the A2A Bonanza at FlyTampa KBOS in v5 compared to v4 (and with higher settings to boot, i.e. that is with all water reflections on except sky, High water setting, dynamic lighting On and 4xSSAA which I could never do at KBOS before, plus Enhanced Atmospherics, etc).  Also, the raw numbers are not everything - for those of us with variable refresh rate monitors, even with fps in the 30's it is actually very smooth in v5, whereas v4 was quite choppy and stuttery.  I have similar dramatic improvements across the board in the known fps "black holes" like Orbx London, Seattle, LA etc.

I can't comment for people with fixed refresh rate monitors, but if you have a Gsync or FreeSync panel then I think v5 will absolutely show quite startling improvements and actually takes advantage of the technology.  At first I was back and forth between v4 and v5 because of the CTD's (and shelved v5 for a bit out of frustration), but since HF1 and with a couple of compromised settings I haven't touched v4 in about a week, and won't go back even though some of my preferred add-ons aren't converted yet.  The choppy sub-30fps rendering in v4 gives me headaches, while v5 actually interacts with my Gsync monitor the way it was designed even in high-density areas.

Edited by PurdueKev
  • Like 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5