Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

V5 Performance reevaluated

7 minutes ago, markjj said:

XP 11 is quite old but not 2006 old like the base code of P3D essentially is.  I find that with a few global enhancements (Mister X airport enhancements which gives you free PBR HD runway and taxiways, MisterX global for region based autogen, Xvision, and ortho imagery for regions you fly to the most), the experience cannot be beat.  XP for me has simply been more fluid as well from a performance perspective, free from the stutters I've always had with P3D.  P3D dominates in payware aircraft for sure though

Agree. The result is that currently you need at least two sims to satisfy your flying needs. Example: Southern France is horrible in Prepar3D no matter what add-on you buy. But the Pacific Northwest and Alaska are great with ORBX. On the other hand, X-Plane with X-Europe and Ortho tiles is a perfect rendering of the same area. I take this region as an example because I know it by heart. Maybe that's just competition in the market, nobody ever bothered to make a good product for that region for FSX/Prepar3D (I know what you are thinking, there is France VFR, but it makes a NASA computer go down to its knees). 

Edited by hjsmuc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hans

48 minutes ago, markjj said:

Having fired up P3D again after a long time, I'm going right back to XP11.  Performance just isn't there with P3D (I have v4.5), and it never will be since V2, V3, V4, V5, and Vx are essentially still just modified versions of FSX.  The platform is simply too old and all these updates only do so much to keep it relevant.  It's unfortunate since I've made some great memories with P3D, but it doesn't run the way an application in 2020 should

v5 is very, very different to FSX. It's like saying XP 11.50b6 is just a modified version of XP 9. Well...it kind of is, but that's missing the point entirely.

P3D v5 is a 64-bit DX12 sim using modern middleware such as Truesky. 

If you've just fired it up for a quick run, you're not going to be getting the most out of it, just like the people who try X-plane for 5 minutes and then give up.

As someone who flies all the sims, I am happy to say that P3D v5 is definitely my favorite at the moment. Really enjoying the new look and new features, and on a high-end system it performs like a champion (with more to come, I'm sure).

• Like 4

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

It will work well.  I've been using vr exclusively with the rig in my signature for 3 years and it's a good experience with v4.5 at least.   The only time I am gpu limited is with ssaa and extreme resolution, so I keep the res and use msaa.  My CPU still strongly limits me in terms of autogen, but that's with or without VR.  

Good info thank you.  That definitely helps with consideration in transitioning to VR at some point.

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

4 minutes ago, ywg256 said:

Good info thank you.  That definitely helps with consideration in transitioning to VR at some point.

I am doing 80% of my v5 flying in VR. Lots of fun, and I can do a lot fo things that I couldn't in V4.5 (flying over 1000s of trees and houses with shadows in Trueearth, for example).

• Like 1

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

v5 is very, very different to FSX. It's like saying XP 11.50b6 is just a modified version of XP 9. Well...it kind of is, but that's missing the point entirely.

P3D v5 is a 64-bit DX12 sim using modern middleware such as Truesky. 

If you've just fired it up for a quick run, you're not going to be getting the most out of it, just like the people who try X-plane for 5 minutes and then give up.

As someone who flies all the sims, I am happy to say that P3D v5 is definitely my favorite at the moment. Really enjoying the new look and new features, and on a high-end system it performs like a champion (with more to come, I'm sure).

To clarify, I used to exclusively fly P3D V4, so when I say fire up, do keep in mind that I'm still talking about a pretty decked out sim.  I have just about all of the top tier payware aircraft (PMDG, FSLabs, etc.) a lot of scenery (FTX Global, several airports, ENVTEX and ENVSHADE), and several additional plugins (active sky, chase plane).  Still, even with all of this, I find that P3D is lacking in the performance department.  I made a post about this in the Lockheed forums, but for whatever reason, my performance with hotfix 3 is now much worse than what it used to be.  The stuttering is very pronounced now and I'm trying to figure out why.  Even without this recent issue, I never found P3D to be a smooth sim the way XP is and the airports look quite bland unless they are addon airports.  Still, it's a good sim and I hope I can figure out why my performance has been so bad with this latest build

Mark Javornik

21 minutes ago, ywg256 said:

I was wondering about trying out VR.  Any comments on VR in terms of hardware (I have an i7700k and 1080ti 11g not sure if that's good enough for VR.  Any suggestions on a head set to get if I were to flip?

you should do ok with your PC you just need to dial down a bit and sacrifice compared to 2D but its totally worth it for the immersion, certainly no where near that same image quality but im using a quest via link cable im sure if I have a HP reverb 2 it would be much clearer, go for it its fantastic just have to be creative around using documentation outside of VR, im waiting for Flyinside for P3D v5

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

2 minutes ago, suchw said:

you should do ok with your PC you just need to dial down a bit and sacrifice compared to 2D but its totally worth it for the immersion, certainly no where near that same image quality but im using a quest via link cable im sure if I have a HP reverb 2 it would be much clearer, go for it its fantastic just have to be creative around using documentation outside of VR, im waiting for Flyinside for P3D v5

Oh man you guys are getting me convinced to go buy a vr headset lol.  I guess I need to budget around $1000.00 CDN  for a head set then from the looks of things. How does it handle two or more monitors?

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

Here's a quick FPS comparison. 

FSDT KORD 28R in the 747-8 VC

V4 - 40
V5 - 45

Drzewiecki JFK 31L in the 747-8 VC, looking toward the terminals where FPS really takes a hit.

V4 - 25
V5 - 26

This is with AS and AIG. 

If there's a performance improvement here, it's nothing to write home about. And for people on the fence about V5, it doesn't seem like there's much point jumping in during this transition period. 

• Like 2

Don't listen to Johnny Raincloud. It is worth the flip. See how many of us there are that are pleased with it visually and performance wise.

• Like 3

Just now, ywg256 said:

Don't listen to Johnny Raincloud. It is worth the flip. See how many of us there are that are pleased with it visually and performance wise.

It'd be one thing if I was just complaining (which I usually do), but these are actual numbers. 

To see what v5 can do, make sure you have a great video card and then give it a workout - Orbx TrueEarth is a good example, because there are a lot of objects for a GPU to render. Turn the water up to max (not something you can get in v4), crank up Truesky, turn on lots of shadows and reflections and fly.

The problem with trying to compare it with v4 is that 1. much of the point of v5 is enhanced atmospherics and complex water, but you can't compare that with v4  and 2. you need a use situation that pushes the GPU, and the hardware to match it.

Oz

9 minutes ago, ywg256 said:

totally agree im glad i switched, this will do me until Ms new sim if fully functional and if not im happy anyway

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

7 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

It'd be one thing if I was just complaining (which I usually do), but these are actual numbers. 

Fair enough however oz makes a great point. Apples to oranges trying to compare

12 hours ago, ywg256 said:

Fair enough however oz makes a great point. Apples to oranges trying to compare

It's not apples-to-oranges if you set similar graphics settings in V4 and V5. I should see a clear performance improvement, but I'm not. Right now I'm sitting in the 747 VC at FlyTampa's YYZ and getting 20 FPS. That's pretty much what I get in V4. And there's no point in trying to push my GPU any further, because I "only" have 8GB of VRAM. I have no doubt that someone with 11GB is getting better results.