Sign in to follow this  
canadiantree

Choosing the right monitor for your virtual cockpit

Keep in mind that going Ultra Wide will probably give you unrealistic perspective in the cockpit. In real life, the pilot only sees a fraction of it at a time.

Great solution for this is Track IR or VR.

• Upvote 1

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

4 hours ago, canadiantree said:

How so? I though high refresh rate monitors were only good for fast paced games like first person shooters. What would the benefits be for a flight simulator? 

Well, I am easily achieving 60fps in P3D V5 and possibly constant 100fps+ will be doable in MSFS with next-gen GPUs. More FPS means more fluidity overall, so of course Flight-Sims also benefit from it.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Don't forget to get a display certified HDR 600 MINIMUM !! https://displayhdr.org/certified-products/
In flight sim the Hdr is very important with Sunbeam and shadow effect ! 

( in oled screen even 500 nits it's good because your black level is really = 0 )

Edited by topatov

My best content 👇                

spacer.png                              

R7-3800XT // 32Gb@3200 // B550 TUF// NVIDIA 3090 FE // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Seasonic GOLD GX-850W // Philips OLED 804 // YOKE Honeycombe + Throttle X52 Pro // Windows 10

3 hours ago, Thomasso said:

Keep in mind that going Ultra Wide will probably give you unrealistic perspective in the cockpit. In real life, the pilot only sees a fraction of it at a time.

The perspective is allright but you do see less of the cockpit. For GA it might be less of an issue than for airliners with their big overhead panels.
I did use Track-IR for FSX and hope it still worls for MSFS.

The video that Jean-Jaques posted shows a super-ultrawide. That might make things much more awkward.

38 minutes ago, topatov said:

Don't forget to get a display certified HDR 600 MINIMUM !! https://displayhdr.org/certified-products/

( in oled screen even 500 nits it's good because your black level is really = 0 )

My monitor is from before HDR. I would certainly recommend HDR nowadays.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

On 5/10/2020 at 4:44 AM, Thomasso said:

What is your suggestion, maybe two or 3 monitors side by side vs an ultrawide?

2 hours ago, Richard Jacks said:

What is your suggestion, maybe two or 3 monitors side by side vs an ultrawide?

My recommendation is 1 huge main monitor (ideally 3840x2160) for the sim and 1 smaller secondary for charts / add-on management. TrackIR is a must with this setup in my opinion.

Or if you wanna go all-in, go VR and pray that the new simulator will be compatible 😄

🙂

Edited by Thomasso

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

Just now, Thomasso said:

My recommendation is 1 huge main monitor for the sim and 1 smaller secondary for charts / add-on management. TrackIR is a must with this setup in my opinion.

Or if you wanna go all-in, go VR and pray that the new simulator will be compatible 😄

🙂

I have never tried TrackIR but that does seem the way to go with a 49" ultrawide...also if the plane I am flying has a HUD, even better!  I am guessing that a 2080ti will handle that along with a smaller display for addon management

1 minute ago, Richard Jacks said:

I have never tried TrackIR but that does seem the way to go with a 49" ultrawide...also if the plane I am flying has a HUD, even better!  I am guessing that a 2080ti will handle that along with a smaller display for addon management

TrackIR makes all the difference (if you don't have VR). Once you try it, you'll never want to fly without it. 🙂

Ultrawide monitor makes sense with TrackIR I guess because you can be zoomed in and just pan around with TrackIR. But if you zoom out and try to squeeze the cockpit (like a B737 one) on the screen, then the result will be highly unrealistic.

2080 Ti will handle multiple monitors just fine, it could be maybe even considered a slight overkill 🙂

Tomáš Pokorný

I'm on the anti-TrackIR bandwagon now. I have one, and could never get it to work well. It's either twitchy, or you have to smooth it down so much to make it too slow to respond to head movements. I was starting to wonder if I was getting tremors running TrackIR. Manipulating clickable cockpits without pausing the head tracking was pretty much impossible. And if you wear glasses and have large screens, it gets confused by the reflection of the monitors off your lenses. You'll be looking forward and all of a sudden the view starts snapping around to full deflection until you move your head just right to eliminate the glare.

I switched to a Delanclip with a modified PS3 camera running Opentrack software. It's more of a pain to set up, but once it's up and running, the difference is considerable. No more jiggly viewing, and head movements are smooth and timely, and it only ever sees the IR lights from the clip, not random reflections.

The best part is that you can get the setup for a lot less than TrackIR costs. They'll even sell you the already modified camera if you don't have one.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:17 PM, highflyer2020 said:

There's no point going higher than 60Hz you're unlikely to get anything higher than 60 FPS on 4k...that's not a criticism of the sim it' s just reality. 

I would highly recommend a  4k ultrawide though!

There is a point and we have no idea right now what FPS people were getting but you can pretty much guarantee there will be machines capable of 60+ upon release. Particularly if you drop some graphical settings. It’s sometimes a choice, but either way, with adaptive sync it will use it whenever it can. Playing at higher than 60 FPS offers a lot more for your eyes, makes animations more believable and makes images in motion far clearer.

Whether that’s something you personally want and want to pay for should be the deciding factor.

On 5/10/2020 at 1:10 PM, topatov said:

Hdr on monitors at the moment is a joke compared to an oled tv or even a qled tv. 

the issue isn’t how bright the screen can get, but how many dimming zones the screen has. Most of the consumer quality screens do not have enough dimming zones to offer a decent implementation of hdr. The asus  Proart range (at about £4000) offers just over 1100 local dimming zones. A £500 hdr monitor might give you 8. 

So yeah, 600/1000 can be okay as an introduction but I worry how many people are going to think hdr is a bit of a “meh” for graphics because of substandard implementations that don’t have good local dimming. I’d consider the proart to have the minimum required amount of local dimming zones to be considered a good implementation of hdr.  

I’d also advise against using oled screens for computers because the quality would degrade pretty quickly because of screen burn in. Oled looks great but there’s a reason monitors aren’t utilising the technology right now. It’s not a great fit for what monitors display.

Edited by Anthracite

8 hours ago, Anthracite said:

would degrade pretty quickly because of screen burn in

My friend have OLED LG C8 as computer monitor for 2 years and no burn in . This is why im going on the new LG 48CX 

My best content 👇                

spacer.png                              

R7-3800XT // 32Gb@3200 // B550 TUF// NVIDIA 3090 FE // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Seasonic GOLD GX-850W // Philips OLED 804 // YOKE Honeycombe + Throttle X52 Pro // Windows 10

1 hour ago, topatov said:

My friend have OLED LG C8 as computer monitor for 2 years and no burn in . This is why im going on the new LG 48CX 

2 years is a relatively short amount of time and would depend on use. 2 hours a day I’d expect him not to experience anything noticeable until around 4 years provided he is playing a lot of motion content. It depends on how long you want it to last, many people are happy upgrading after 5 some want longer.  I believe LG OLED panels are expected to last 100,000 hours, but their quality degrades substantially more during that time because of burn in, if they’re displaying static content. This is particularly true of the red pixels. All panels tend to lose brightness and colour over time but the compounds in oled are more prone to it - if you’re interested in oled and can wait a year, Samsung is looking to bring qdoled out in 2021 according to the rumours. That’s assuming corona doesn’t effect their timescale. These will have better efficiency, brightness, colour and lifespan.