I recently got Radar Contact and so far I'm loving it. But I have a question.

Since these days I'm mainly flying GA aircraft, I was wondering if there is a way to have the Controller contact/call you by your tail number instead of a callsign and flight number.

I would be primarily looking for a way to do it without modifying any files, but if there's no way of doing it without adding/changing a couple of lines, I won't mind doing that.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely, kosmonautas.

P.S. I'm sorry if there was a topic opened about this already, as I have not found one, and a Google search came up empty about it, despite a couple of rephrasings.

@kosmonautas, as RC4 was designed for IFR flights I’m not aware of how that could be achieved, sorry.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@kosmonautas, as RC4 was designed for IFR flights I’m not aware of how that could be achieved, sorry.

*cough* Private-owned aircraft fly IFR at times too, I believe.

Anyways, that's rather sad.

I'll probably attempt to add it as a custom airline then.

Thanks for the help anyways, Ray.

Sincerely, kosmo.

One possibility is a setting in FSUIPC that allows you to change how an aircraft is identified. You’ll need to search for it, sorry. The default is flight (again, from memory) so see if that changes things.

Your own callsign is entered in the Options screen (from memory). Would that help?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Alright, I'll try finding that.

But I'm using the free version of FSUIPC so it's probably not there, or I never noticed it.

Sincerely, kosmo.

P.S. I don't think that it will change anything, as the airline/callsign and flight number are changed from within RC itself...

Edited by kosmonautas

kosmo, is there any way you can enter your callsign using the airline and flight number fields? What is it?

I know that RC will address another aircraft using the phoenetic alphabet if there is no airline name recorded. For example, Google Airways 123 would probably be enunciated a Golf 123. I can't check as my FS PC is off. Try that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, thanks again for the help, sadly I'm not at my PC, I will probably be on it only tomorrow (for the record, I'm on GMT+2).

I tried changing the callsign earlier already, but the callsign display box is not a text field, it didn't allow me to change it. Either I was interacting with it the wrong way, or it's just not modifiable.

For the flight number field, it only allows numericals and not letters.

My tail number (and preferably the "callsign") would be LY-WSR for the time being.

Sincerely, kosmo.

Ah, I’d forgotten about those restrictions. From the callsign you’ve given I can’t think of a solution, sorry.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I see. Well, thanks for the help anyways. I'll try to work something out and publish here if I do find something that works.

Sincerely, kosmo.

P.S. There should be more nice and helpful people like you in the world.

• Like 1

Just curious....what Sim are you using?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 minute ago, charliearon said:

Just curious....what Sim are you using?

Your curiosity shall be quenched 😄.

I'm using FSX Steam Edition.

I've heard and seen RC working even on P3D, so that shouldn't be of issue 😀.

Sincerely, kosmo.

Interesting!  Up until my CPU fried on my computer, I was using FSX and never had any problems using strictly alpha characters for my call signs.

Have you tried making the changes by highlighting the aircraft on the Selection screen and going into "Details"?  You should be able to enter either alpha or numerics, just no symbols.

Never tried strictly numerics , but tail numbers usually start with an alpha.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Charlie, I think you misunderstood something in this mish-mash 🙂.

I can set my tail number fine in FSX. The "issue" is with Radar Contact.

And I may have misunderstood the last part myself, but for the tail number beginning, it usually depends on country, e.g. N is for the US (and maybe Canada?), D for Germany, etc.

Sincerely, kosmo.

I'm not at my computer right now, but this should work, I think:

In RCv4, you should be able to use the dropdown box (the one for airline names). In it, you'll find the phonetic alphabet as well (alpha, bravo, charlie, etc.). Set the dropdown box for the first letter of the tail number, and then use the flight number for the rest of the letters. I'm in Canada, so I would set Charlie in the dropdown box ("C" for Canada, not "N'"), and then the other identifiers in the flight number.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I would not have thought that RC4 would ignore what is set in FSX!

Charlie Aron