Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

IFR pilot's take on clouds in v5

Clouds are such a personal taste. I have found many different clouds to be realistic looking given the limitations of desktop simulation. The same clouds I like others will call cartoonish. 

Most clouds in video games seem to be based on a Hollywood representation which are designed for visual impact. The reality is much more mundane. There is also a huge difference when viewing a cloud from the ground, from within, and from above. Finally, even if you take a picture the camera captures so much more than the eye, so the artist will try and recreate the incorrect camera perspective. 

Lets not forget the world is 3D while a monitor uses visual tricks to try and make a 2D object appear to have dimension. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

No sure what you mean here, I have the SpeedTree for games license agreement ... unfortunately it's a confidential document so I can't show you the details.  With this license you can create from scratch (or buy) your own SpeedTree assets to be used in P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

https://store.speedtree.com/speedtree-for-lumberyard/

BTW, I just wanted to add another point. SpeedTrees only displays 3D vegetation when the user is near to the model. At distance, ST uses billboard 2D versions, just like the standard tree models inherited from FSX.

trueSky takes a similar approach. It only uses volumetric (3D) clouds close up and 2D clouds at distance.

He's planting his virtual victory garden.

Quick follow-up: just did my first real IFR flight with an approach to minimums in v5 (in the Commander 114), and all I can say is... WOW!!!

Minimums for the approach were 600 MSL (200 AGL), I set the cloud base as stratus at 800 MSL. First of all, on the takeoff, it's not just no clouds and then you enter the clouds. In other words it isn't off and then on. The clouds envelope you as you climb. It really gives you a sense of transitioning to instruments that you don't get in v4.5. Then when you are in the clouds, you don't have a bubble around you where there's clear air in a 20-foot radius around the plane and then clouds. Again, you're enveloped in the clouds. And then on the approach, there is no altitude at which you transition out of the clouds. You get ground contact, then see the approach lights, then runway lights, etc.

For IFR flight in light GA aircraft, it is so realistic I can't even tell you. This is what I got the sim for: IFR training. I get off on tangents flying around the Caribbean and doing the eye candy thing, but I got it for IFR training. LM absolutely smashed it out of the park for this type of flying. I'm simply astonished.

And this is from someone who thought v4.5 did a pretty darn good job with IFR flying.

Edited by mtr75
  • Like 1

Just did my first hard IFR flight in v5 HF2, I still can't get over how immersive IFR flight is in v5 (talking w/ EA). Flew to my home real-life aerodrome, flew the ILS, went missed, did the hold, flew the second approach and landed. Just an absolutely magnificent IFR experience.

You aren't in a bubble within the clouds with 15 feet of clear air around you in every direction, as in v4. In v5 you are IN the clouds. It's just amazing.

• Like 3

4.5 was all around a very solid sim. But I’m willing to deal with all the inconveniences of V5 simply for TrueSky. Xplane might have better default ga physics, but it’s hard to argue with a nice A2A plane in ifr conditions in V5...

• Like 4

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

10 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Just did my first hard IFR flight in v5 HF2, I still can't get over how immersive IFR flight is in v5 (talking w/ EA). Flew to my home real-life aerodrome, flew the ILS, went missed, did the hold, flew the second approach and landed. Just an absolutely magnificent IFR experience.

You aren't in a bubble within the clouds with 15 feet of clear air around you in every direction, as in v4. In v5 you are IN the clouds. It's just amazing.

Yes, you nailed it. Add VR to the mix, and the experience with the clouds is incredibly immersive. 

EA and A2A are a great combination.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

14 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

4.5 was all around a very solid sim. But I’m willing to deal with all the inconveniences of V5 simply for TrueSky. Xplane might have better default ga physics, but it’s hard to argue with a nice A2A plane in ifr conditions in V5...

I vey much agree. V4.5 was really good, especially with some of the weather and shader add-ons, sceneries, aircraft, etc. It was also a good IFR experience in light GA aircraft. V5 just blows it out of the water with TrueSky. It is absolutely amazing.