Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Person hit and killed by Southwest 737 in Austin

Pilot: Tower, Southwest 1392, We believe there might be a person on the Runway

ATC communications 

News story 

Photo of engine cowling after contact was made.

EXeBlD1WkAISTuv-1024x497.jpeg

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Poor fellow probably never even knew what hit him...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Just incredible!. Thanks for posting.

Regards, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

What on earth were they doing there?

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

5 hours ago, n4gix said:

5 hours ago, Jazz said:

I think they probably didn’t it on purpose as a suicide attempt. Maybe not, but why else would you step in front of a landing aircraft?

Judging from the sound of the ATC call, I’m not sure the pilots even knew they hit the person.

7 hours ago, n4gix said:

I'm pretty sure someone who walked in front of a plane on finals had a fairly good idea of what hit him, or at least what was about to. Although in all seriousness, judging from where the dent is in that engine cowling, you are possibly right if he happened to be not looking in the direction the aeroplane was coming from, because based on the size, shape and height of the cowling dent, it looks to me like damage from a head impact, so in all probability, it would have taken his head clean off his shoulders.

6 hours ago, Jazz said:

On another note, clearly it's a suicidal thing to do and for all we know that may have been the intention. Other than that, the reasons I can think if for someone doing this are: airport worker in the wrong place (unlikely), a stupid dare gone wrong, mental issues, drunkeness/drug abuse, some sort of dubious criminal intent/terrorism, really irresponsible plane spotting, or taking a really ill advised short cut.

Whatever the reason was, although it's unfortunate for the crew to know their aeroplane finished someone off, I hope they don't feel too bad and console themselves that there wasn't much they could do to avoid someone when they've only just dropped below flying speed, i.e. presumably a bit below 130 mph or so. Their duty is to the safety of their passengers right up until they stick the parking brake on, not some bloke on a runway who should not be there.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Landing lights. as we know. can be seen for miles at night, so unless the guy was totally inebriated or high as a kite, he surely knew what was coming... Or maybe he thought he was on the St. Maarten Beach...

• Like 1

If an airport worker was in the wrong place, then identification after the event should be quite quick and relatively easy unless I'm missing something? "Barney didn't sign back out after his shift" or some such.

The truth is out there.

Poor aircrew! This kind of thing happens to train drivers too. Granted an airliner's not on rails but it may as well be when they're landing. :sad:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Not surprising at all. When I use to fly into San Diego's Brown Field there use to be a NOTAM to be on the lookout for illegal aliens crossing the runway.  

It is nothing more than a fence and rovering security, it is more painful for a ticketed passenger to make it to their airplane than for someone to sneak onto the airport at night. 

• Like 1

According to news reports (but not confirmed) the deceased did not have airport ID badge... 

It appears the last thing to go through that guy's mind was a CFM-56...  😱

Having run a couple of military airports myself, I can tell you that keeping 5-10 linear miles of airport perimeter fence secure is an almost impossible job.  If someone wants to go over/under/through it, it's trivially easy to do.  We've all seen pictures of people going over the 30-foot walls along the border...airport fences are much less substantial; often nothing more sophisticated than 8-10 foot chain link, and much of that unlit and remotely situated away from inhabited areas. 

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case