Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

CS B727-200F at Alaska's Last Frontier (Yakutat)

For descriptions of Yakutat, I found, on-line, opening statements, about this (one of the remotest) region in the Alaskan wilderness, as follows, "If you are one of the many individuals that have never heard of Yakutat Alaska, you are not alone....There are no roads of access (from/to the outside world) for this secluded wilderness meaning it is a perfect destination to unwind and reconnect with Mother Nature....etc." It's, indeed, a bit off the normal radar of our familiarity. If you're not an Alaskan, you may wish to examine it's geography. It (and, btw, also, to its southeast, and better-known, Juneau) are located at the southernmost (and easternmost) tail-end extensions of Alaska. Yakutat is bordered by the Canadian provinces of Yukon and British Columbia to its north and the Gulf of Alaska to its west.

Regarding the aircraft, for this post, although, I've had Captain Sim's B727-100 variant, since many years (likely 10+), actually even before my years of break from SIM, I always knew I did not have their -200/-200F extensions, but, somehow, I had never got to purchase them. Today, I (finally) made up that deficiency (better-late-than-never, as they say). It's an wonderful add-on, that, goes without saying. I'm also aware that, between CS and Simmers, it has been (generally) a love-hate relationship...🙂.., but I'm glad, CS has, recently made their 767 (Beta, I believe) available for P3D, however, IMO, here is one aircraft, CS must look to convert for P3D too, if anyone is listening to me...🙂...!

One thing is clear: CS knows how to pay attention to the interior details of the Classic jets (and, their trio of 727/737/707, (continue to) stand out as the finest in the SIM; one just has to find enough time to do justice by flying these more often, which they (both Plane and SIM) surely deserve)! While noting down this thought, I am now looking at this 727's [VC] - e.g. on both Captain's and FO's sides, that partially obliterated (thick) "under-lined and over-lined" warning texts "NO LIQUIDS PLEASE"  (please see e.g. at top LHS corner of the pedestal close-up shot, below) - a far cry from the modern Airbus (and our Airbus SIMs too) with their clickable (collapsible i.e. on/off) Tray Tables. I presume, without those Yoke and Control Columns, taking up space, in there, these trays must be really handy on the Airbus - just speaking aloud, as a non-pilot, of course, having never experienced the use of one!!

Anyway, please find, below, the CS727-200F (in the (well-loved) UPS colors); please excuse my empty cargo compartment, in this test flight!), out on a (very) quick (test) flight - lifting off from Yakutat (PAYA)'s Rwy 29, traveling about (20-25) miles northward, and then coming around (in an U-turn) back to land on the opposite (ILS) Rwy 11...I do need to be careful about those dangerous (nearby) high peaks of the Pacific Coast Range Mountains, to the East (e.g. the highest mountain, Saint Elias, at >18,000', is barely 60 miles away from Yakutat)! BTW, in this plane, there is no Auto-throttle, no LNAV/VNAV, no FMS/CDU of any kind, (please see the pedestal (Pitch and Mode Selector) controls, in the close-up shot, below; CS has also provided a separate (and convenient) Sperry Autopilot pop-up). Nonetheless, this ILS capture and landing, seemed like one of the most enjoyable experiences, that, I've ever had in the SIM! It's as pleasing, today, as when I'd first flown this CS 727-100 (required for the -200 extensions), more than a decade ago...!

And, as a plane (and in the SIM), this Boeing trijet, with those unique JT8D engines, from the bygone era, (similar to the British Trident and Russian Tupolev), would always continue to fascinate us (something about a 3-holer)! In particular, here, for the B727, the first of its kind, in so many respects, it's said that thousands of (RW) Pilots had mourned its retirement (Delta Air Lines, the last major U.S. carrier, had bid farewell to its last 727 from scheduled service in April 2003).

This short flight, here, uses my Orbx Yakutat (PAYA), as Airport scenery. Orbx, as usual, has done a good job of the airport and its vicinity (only Orbx can replicate some of those "run-down" buildings, structures, miscellaneous oddities and junk (wooden-pallets, oil-drums etc.), so well...and, of course, an (animated) human "sweeper" is almost always (and pleasingly) found, somewhere, as appropriate...). I also make a special note, here, of the fact that, "On-site photos were taken by Orbx staff" - which must have helped with replicating the realism of this scenery! The scenery also includes a couple of nearby airports and seaplane-bases. [Not shown, below, but, at a later time, I plan to display additional (on-the-ground) screenshots (including a few on-the-foot sightseeing shots - with my companion BOB), in and around this interesting (and quite scenic) airport.]

Hope you enjoy this post and the images below, of this legendary trijet. Thanks for your interest. Add-on comments and notes are always welcome! Good weekend, all!!

[CS(727-200F)/Orbx(PAYA)/REX]

d3URw1.png

836D9h.png

jVYA5u.png

TGJzXr.png

jPhk2h.png

2VjM1i.png

6rXljI.png

wIHluo.png

2QPyXK.png

Z8067q.png

E4EzKn.png

KpJrDa.png

taVIaM.png

OO6qxX.png

C9MlEP.png

AL0sOb.png

Hvwbs8.png

9LxsoB.png

AGTvxR.png

SWDYrk.png

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Your skill at handling these different developer's aircraft and screenshots compilation is an art form to study and admire👍

• Like 1

Another very interesting compilation! Beginning to sound like a broken record, but I DID visit Yakutat in RL in 1998...an Alaska Airlines 737-200 combi flight from Juneau to Cordova. We deplaned and walked around for about 15 minutes. No terminal, just a small cluttered office with some fishing gear, etc.

John

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John F said:

Another very interesting compilation! Beginning to sound like a broken record, but I DID visit Yakutat in RL in 1998...an Alaska Airlines 737-200 combi flight from Juneau to Cordova. We deplaned and walked around for about 15 minutes. No terminal, just a small cluttered office with some fishing gear, etc.

John

You lucky person, the last unspoilt Wild Frontier

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaDDogz said:

Baby MD11 😀

🤣and even trickier to handle in R/L, it seems

• Like 2

Nice shots!  I have probably 2500-3000 hours flying Anchorage to southeast Alaska with generally a stop every morning in Yak to drop the mail off. Even got stuck there for a full day due to freezing rain with Alaska’s de-ice equipment inop. Had to wait for it all to melt enough.

• Like 2

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

***Super Cool*** I remember seeing 727-200F's flying for Fedex coming in and out of KORD around Christmas time a few yrs back,

I think they were only used as Back-ups for other jets that might have been down for maintenance .

• Like 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Folks: (I should have checked earlier...) Wonderful mix of comments, here, with some humor, and bits, too, from a RW pilot, who had to  fly for real....into (icy) "Yak" airport....!

Brian: Thank you. You say you used to drop off cargo/mail in Yakutat, generally every morning, in your flights, same way as if I would go pick up my grocery every week...in my car....only thing, there is a slight difference in the planning, involved, I guess...🙂...

Some of us who (live or lived) in Chicago, know cold, but, these places, must be beyond "cold" is what I think! (And, btw, you might have probably also made some notes, where this (wannabe) 727 Pilot needs some (serious) further training...oh well...as long as it's fun, everything goes in virtual piloting...🙂...so, kindly erase those notes, for now...!)

Rick: Appreciated! We learn from each other...there are some true masters of presentation around here in the other platforms. BTW, Rick, myself, being free-scope, without the burden and limits of being a pilot (or an aspiring pilot), I've always opened up myself to "all" developers' products, including Freeware, good and not so good. In the SIM, it's great fun to examine and learn different planes (or even the same planes) from different developers....(737NGX/747X clearly come to mind....)...🙂...

Luke: Baby MD-11...it surely looks like one, and the term sounds good to me too...as long as we also remember, there is no "AUTOFLIGHT" (always liked the tone of that sound in the PMDG version, which SIM, believe it or not, still flies well for me...will go back to it one more time...maybe...!), and no auto-land in this thing....🙂...probably needs to be flown by the seat of one's pants, as they say...(So, I'm leaning here more towards Rick's counter-point...)

John: No broken record, at all, this sounds good! I've never travelled to Alaska, though, I believe, I have touched (or at least landed) in all the lower 48....(maybe one day...Juneau, I would like the most...I noticed (yesterday) Yakutat is not too far from there...)

Patrick: Yes, in and around KORD, these things must have been quite common in the long past (and, indeed, in the recent past), see below...

Your note made me look up, you may be glad to know this, about your correct observation:

"For 35 years, Boeing 727 aircraft were a reliable workhorse for the world’s largest express transportation company.  Today, the venerable 727 narrow-body freighter closes an enduring chapter in aviation history as FedEx becomes the last major carrier to retire the aircraft from service." [The date of the statement is June, 2013]"

I clearly recall the MD11s (including of UPS) flying overhead either climbing out or on approach to KORD, but, I guess, those things will be, also, things of the past soon (if not already)., and not to be seen again...!

Thanks again, all! Good day!

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 3

Great thread. Brought back memories of the last 727 I flew around 2000. A girlfriend of mine and I flew on American Airlines from Miami to Grenada to get on a Windjammer cruise (also gone unfortunately). I didn't check what type of aircraft we were flying but was excited when we got to the gate in Miami and saw it was a 727. I hadn't seen one in so long that I thought that they had all been retired. We had seats in the front so with all the engines in the rear it was nice and quiet once at cruise. Due to its age it had a lot of rattles and creaks during takeoff, taxi, and landing though. To me that just enhanced the experience. My girlfriend never could understand why I was so excited about flying that ratty old worn out plane. That flight and the sailing cruise was one of my best and most memorable vacations, especially looking back in these days of covid lockdown.

I also am still hoping that Captain Sim will bring back the 727 and 707 for P3Dv5 and/or MSFS.

Ted

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Ted:

Regarding your comment, "...I was so excited about flying that ratty old worn out plane. That flight and the sailing cruise was one of my best and most memorable vacations..."

Indeed, when I look at these sparkling clean, latest planes of Boeing and Airbus (in our SIM too..), I do like them, but, they don't catch my fancy and beg me to ask myself, "I wonder where these have been (or what they have been up to)...?"....🙂....as much as when I see, images of a beat-up workhorse like a 727 or 737....many been used as pax/freight or combi operations, under very rough conditions...in many corners of the world....

Within NAR, it looks like the Airlines talked to one another before retiring their 727 planes, almost around the same year(s):

e.g. I find:

TWA - 2000
FedEx - 2003
AA - 2002
NWA - 2003
UAL - 2002
DELTA - 2003

And, the very last B727 Pax flight seems to have occurred as late as last year:
"On Sunday, Jan 13, 2019, a 727 passenger airliner, operated by an Iranian Airline (it adds: a plane that used to be the most popular in the world...), flew its last scheduled flight with passengers. The 727 operated its final flight, between two Iranian cities."

This could indeed be the very last B727 Pax flight...

And I read somewhere:
"727, the earth-trembling workhorse that brought air travel to millions..."
Quite aptly put...!

Edited by P_7878

The seats in the old planes were also wider and had more padding, if they were not too worn out. :biggrin:

Interesting about the last 727 passenger flight being an Iranian flight. I believe the last 707 passenger flight was also Iranian by Saha Airlines.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

@P_7878 Southeast Alaska isn’t so bad actually.  Usually temperate so in the winter 20s.  Chicago is by far colder than most of Alaska. It’s got that bone chilling wet and windy cold.  I’ll take Anchorage or possibly even Fairbanks over it any day in the winter.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

20 hours ago, vc10man said:

Your skill at handling these different developer's aircraft 

The short finals shot alone is giving me the hebegebees... flaps up landing? 

This evokes a memory in the Med where I was taken to Corfu on one 737-300 by TEA, who promptly went bust while there. Had to rescued by a JAT 727-200. The onboard service with masculine-looking female FAs and the general state of the aircraft corralled at the last minute by the tour operator to rescue was  so bad, we all just skipped the onboard meals and could not wait to return to Manchester. Swore then I'd never fly on a 727 again!🤣