Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

CS B727-200F at Alaska's Last Frontier (Yakutat)

I flew on Delta's B727 numerous times between 2000 - 2003. Loved that plane...and if my memory serves me correctly, it was the only plane I flew where I didn't feel congested for the next couple of days after flying.

Long before that, when I was living in Vancouver...on my drive to work I would see the daily 7:10 am arrival of Fedex (B727) gliding through descent onto YVR 26L...an unmistakable silhouette in the sky!  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, edetroit said:

The short finals shot alone is giving me the hebegebees... flaps up landing? 

Ed: As far as I could tell, the flaps were fully down, for landing, being controlled by my external input, and also did exhibit the gradual and expected impact on slow-down of speed...this (SIM) would be, otherwise, too powerful to land with flaps-up....🙂...I would be nervous too...

But, I can't tell about the gauges....I'll need to check the gauges later sometime...(this is the very first time I'm testing the -200)..I also recall one or two Light Rheostat knobs were not rotating for me...(maybe need to do a fresh-install)....

True, about weather in SE Alaska, Brian...Googled a bit, e.g. Juneau seems quite nice in Summer, for a visit:

"The warm season, in Juneau, lasts for 3.5 months, from May 21 to September 6, with an average daily high temperature above 54°F."

Almost same for Yakutat...(not bad at all)...

Yes, Chicago's bone-chilling cold winds....I recall one flight from Miami to Chicago, some folks from Miami, in the plane, leaving 80°F(+) temperatures, probably didn't have/pack thick-enough jackets, and were "unpleasantly" surprised when the Captain announced, during the flight, that it's sub-zero and windy in Chicago....!

And, yes, the de-ice equipment inop, in YAK, can be rather disruptive...that is for sure...!!

Edited by P_7878

21 hours ago, vc10man said:

Swore then I'd never fly on a 727 again!

Understood coming from a VC10 man. :laugh:

I flew the BOAC VC10 a lot in the 60's between London and the middle east. I loved it also.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

On 5/10/2020 at 2:47 PM, P_7878 said:

Ed: As far as I could tell, the flaps were fully down, for landing, being controlled by my external input, and also did exhibit the gradual and expected impact on slow-down of speed...this (SIM) would be, otherwise, too powerful to land with flaps-up....🙂...I would be nervous too...

But, I can't tell about the gauges....I'll need to check the gauges later sometime...(this is the very first time I'm testing the -200)..I also recall one or two Light Rheostat knobs were not rotating for me...(maybe need to do a fresh-install)....

Hi Ed:

I did some testing, and, indeed, confirmed the anomalous flap-gauge displays in the [VC]!

It appears that, although, (both) the flap-gauges in the [VC], at LHS of the Gear handle, show (=0) readings, during landing, in my post above, in actuality, full-flap (=40) was deployed!

I also read, today, that a CS Service Pack 2.6 has been made available, that will/may fix this "flaps gauge issue". This error seems to be for the base (-100) install (and therefore carried over to the (-200 model)). As I'd mentioned, the (-100) has been around with me for many years....though, not used, in my recent memory, until this post. And, because, the external wings' leading edges had indicated (expected) visible motion, and the pedestal Flap Lever had also (normally) moved down (takes six "F7" keystrokes, to reach (40), I used, today, just the FSX key, instead of my externally defined control input, but the effect is same)...

So, in summary, thanks for catching it, but don't get nervous...even if I'm not certified on this plane...🙂....I didn't land with flaps-up, that would have been disastrous, for sure,......!

I will probably do a clean re-install of both (-100/-200) applying the Service Pack to the base....(hope, that will fix the gauge displays)...or, I'll contact CS......

After that, next, to do a Cold & Dark start-up, while things are still fresh on my mind...🙂...looking forward to that exercise with this (nice) thing...

[BTW, I fixed my light knob issue, there is a sweet-spot, on the knob, for the mouse-wheel sweep, which I was missing earlier...so that's taken care of...]

Thanks!!

Good day or/and evening, all!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P_7878 said:

Hi Ed:

I did some testing, and, indeed, confirmed the anomalous flap-gauge displays in the [VC]!

It appears that, although, (both) the flap-gauges in the [VC], at LHS of the Gear handle, show (=0) readings, during landing, in my post above, in actuality, full-flap (=40) was deployed!

I can see flap handle set at flaps 5 for takeoff, Flap annunciation working but flaps position indicator not.

Cleary externally the flaps are set. In cockpit on finals a little confusing...apart from no flaps indicator. 

You look fully established on ILS or LOC DME rwy 11 (both ADI and HSI indicating LOC and GS on point, course is 115 btw) so why is the FD indicating otherwise?

I would have set my altitude selector as well but I understand this is a test flight. 😁

Ed: Thanks!!

I see, in that CS Service Pack, nearly "30+" fixes and improvements (you may enjoy looking at that list, on the CS website,...you'll probably get more out of it, than I), I didn't examine all the items individually. Most of all, as you know, many of these wonderful CS classic SIMs were first started in FS9(?), and, even if, supposedly, FSX=FSX-SE; generally, in my own experience, the move is not "transparent"...at least for complex add-ons...(Only thing, for sure, the "blue-circle-of-death"...🙂.. CTDs are much less in FSX-SE, as long as we/I honor the dense Airports by staying out of their airspace...)...

And, yes, my primary objective of this test flight, was to particularly verify the LOC/GS establishment...especially, sometimes seen in SIM aircraft, the up/down pitching, even after correctly established on it. This one excelled really...I recall, while watching those (Alaskan) mountains to the East, all the time...🙂...I caught the LOC at about 30-35 degrees inclination (~3K altitude, it was, I think), and it caught it so nicely and gently, indeed. And, once established...on LOC/GS, I barely had to touch my Saitek throttle to keep the GS in sync....(good enough for my (non-pilot) purpose), and it was good fun too....(I didn't miss auto-throttle)....

Finally, Ed, do you (currently) have any CS Classic jets, such as this one, in FS9 (or more correctly, FS9.x)? It would be always nice to see them here...(my SIMing does not go too far back into FS9, although I'd started in FS9)...

20 hours ago, P_7878 said:

...(I didn't miss auto-throttle)

I turn my auto throttle off early.  This is because auto throttle does not leave hardware throttles where they should be.  (Some exceptions apply - eg:  aircraft IL-96 or full auto land )

20 hours ago, P_7878 said:

Finally, Ed, do you (currently) have any CS Classic jets, such as this one, in FS9 (or more correctly, FS9.x)? It would be always nice to see them here...(my SIMing does not go too far back into FS9, although I'd started in FS9)...

I have the CS 707 as I wanted a good model for my 707 panel. But as I have not made it yet it has never flown. 😄

I think I am done with payware as I do not get the support I require.