Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

Rudder trim

Do you use rudder trim?

Rudder trim is one thing I never got into the habit of using in flight sim. Aileron trim I use all the time but I pretty much never touched rudder trim. If there is left or right turning tendency I just compensate with rudder or ailerons. Am I missing out by not using it?

I designated those button on the yoke to other functions. If you use it, what's your setup? Do you use mouse in VC, keyboard, do you have designated buttons on the yoke, joystick? What do you use to center the trim, if anything?

I had them on my G27 shifter D-PAD, BTW the G27 shifter is also use as landing gear lever for fligt sim.

I don't use them oftern in P3D/FS/XP, as the real metal. only when one engine quite i'll use them, I rarely fly single prop GA so hard to say....

However, when I fly WWII fighter in IL2, I really need them, as bad as I set it on my joystick 4-way pad...

• Like 1

Greetings,

Even in the real world, you rarely use rudder trim. During recurrent sims, I used it a lot during single engine ops. Was big in the DC10 with a wing engine out. Your legs would get worn out holding the rudder in, so you threw in the rudder trim. On short approach, you take it out before the landing. There have been two scenarios in real life that I have used rudder trim. 1. During acceptance flights, we would take the jet up and do some max speed descent tests. You would trim the jet for the max speed descent and note how much aileron and rudder trim it took to keep the the jet trimmed. This test verified the flight control rigging and had trim limits, like no more than 2 degrees of trim in the roll and yaw axis for trimmed flight. If out of limits, they re-rig the flight controls. 2. We had a couple of jets that had altimeter splits during flight. One was so bad that it would cause a mis compare between the pilot's and copilot's altimeter. The zoid on the PFD would be off and I would use rudder trim to center the zoid and kill the altimeter split. Jet seemed bent, but Gulfstream blamed the rain guard on the EVS camera. Said it was disturbing airflow to the sensors.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mandatory use if you ever fly the majestic Q400 😁 long plane, high torque, turbo prop engines. Nose swivels about quite much even with small power changes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

43 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

Mandatory use if you ever fly the majestic Q400 😁 long plane, high torque, turbo prop engines. Nose swivels about quite much even with small power changes.

This is actually the reason why I asked this question! 😀 I started flying Q400 lately and I suddenly realised that rudder trim can actually be pretty useful and I wondered if people use it.