Sign in to follow this  

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this but...

In order to get very good frame rates in the simulation...does it depend on the GPU or the CPU or both?...

7 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this but...

In order to get very good frame rates in the simulation...does it depend on the GPU or the CPU or both?...

My humble advice is to have a powerful system in every aspect if possible. Any weak link will present a bottleneck possibility.

We know that flight simulators require a lot of computing power (math) as well as a lot of rendering power.

A strong overclocked (and cooled) CPU (4.5 to 5 GHZ if you can stabilize it) with one of those top GPUs and a solid amount of RAM, as much as you can fit in the box, as well a sim dedicated SSD are the best combo in my opinion.

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

I started to explore this very same question a few weeks ago and this is my conclusion. But first I want to mention I am a noob at hardware and I am not an Alpha tester.

Obviously, very few simmers could afford to get the most powerful CPU-GPU-RAM combo, so a few choices will have to be made.

1- What I understand until now is all CPU cores will be used but the sim doesn't need more than 5% of each core, at least that was the case a few months ago (according to Asobo) but then, road/air traffic wasn't implemented. So the first question is do I need (for the same price) an older 8 core CPU or a newer/faster 6 cores CPU?

2- All the weather will be handled by the GPU (according to Asobo again), this will be the most important piece of hardware. It has to be the most powerful but not too powerful for your CPU or it may cause a CPU bottleneck. So a nice balance will have to be found here.

3- If you can get 32GB RAM, get it, or plan to be able to get it in the future. And the newest AMD CPUs will perform faster with high frequency RAM (3600 Mhz...)

If I am wrong please tell me because this is how I plan to get my new PC. 🤔

FYI my goal is to get a Ryzen 5 3600 (or Ryzen 7 2700x) with a RX 5600 XT and 16 or 32 RAM (3600hz)

Edited by Noooch
  • Upvote 1

Flight simulation really allows you to add to the simulation. So the real question is a year after release how many add-ons do you plan of having? Highly detailed airports in an aircraft that is near training level will most likely cause an ideal system to fall to its knees. 

The requirements are for running the sim plain without any addons. Most likely minimum requirements will be nothing like the screenshots we have seen. Most of the Alpha testers, at least the ones who leaked their system requirements, have ideal systems. 

I would also say that now is not the time to purchase hardware. Cost is slightly elevated from the stay at home crowd and we are on a parapet of new technology from AMD, Intel, and nVidia. Anything you buy today could be vastly outperformed by even budget hardware coming down the pipeline. I would not even consider anything less than an AMD 4000 series desktop, or Intel 10xxx series from Intel. With DX12 supposedly on the horizon, however leaked screens have shown only DX11, I would consider a next gen card with lots of VRAM. 8GB VRAM will become the new minimum and in fact you can already see that starting to happen. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Noooch said:

I started to explore this very same question a few weeks ago and this is my conclusion. But first I want to mention I am a noob at hardware and I am not an Alpha tester.

Obviously, very few simmers could afford to get the most powerful CPU-GPU-RAM combo, so a few choices will have to be made.

1- What I understand until now is all CPU cores will be used but the sim doesn't need more than 5% of each core, at least that was the case a few months ago (according to Asobo) but then, road/air traffic wasn't implemented. So the first question is do I need (for the same price) an older 8 core CPU or a newer/faster 6 cores CPU?

2- All the weather will be handled by the GPU (according to Asobo again), this will be the most important piece of hardware. It has to be the most powerful but not too powerful for your CPU or it may cause a CPU bottleneck. So a nice balance will have to be found here.

3- If you can get 32GB RAM, get it, or plan to be able to get it in the future. And the newest AMD CPUs will perform faster with high frequency RAM (3600 Mhz...)

If I am wrong please tell me because this is how I plan to get my new PC. 🤔

FYI my goal is to get a Ryzen 5 3600 (or Ryzen 7 2700x) with a RX 5600 XT and 16 or 32 RAM (3600hz)

I have a lot of respect and admiration toward Asobo but I don't think one must buy hardware based on the way a software is developed and optimized in my opinion. This is my experience with flight sim software since the 90s...

Even if the software is programmed in a smart and clever way, well optimized to take advantage strategically of this and that aspect of a specific hardware, the hardware combo you purchase, is not for the optimum scenario of this software neither it is for the raw aspect of software or its V1 specs but you get the hardware to serve you for few years of flight simulations using this software + its upcoming versions and sub-versions as well as the addons as mentioned above.

Also, your hardware must be useful for any alternative and similar software that might appear on the market during the life of this hardware...

My 10 years old Intel custom built setup with an overclocked and cooled CPU and with some upgrades I did 3 years ago on the GPU + SSD, still serve me very well today with many software and games not only flight simulators. 

Edited by Claviateur

14 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

I have a lot of respect and admiration toward Asobo but I don't think one must buy hardware based on the way a software is developed and optimized in my opinion. This is my experience with flight sim software since the 90s...

Even if the software is programmed in a smart and clever way, well optimized to take advantage strategically of this and that aspect of a specific hardware, the hardware combo you purchase, is not for the optimum scenario of this software neither it is for the raw aspect of software or its V1 specs but you get the hardware to serve you for few years of flight simulations using this software + its upcoming versions and sub-versions as well as the addons as mentioned above.

Also, your hardware must be useful for any alternative and similar software that might appear on the market during the life of this hardware...

My 10 years old Intel custom built setup with an overclocked and cooled CPU and with some upgrades I did 3 years ago on the GPU + SSD, still serve me very well today with many software and games not only flight simulators. 

I think the OP was referring to MSFS only, and as for myself, I will only use my PC for MSFS.

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Noooch said:

I think the OP was referring to MSFS only, and as for myself, I will only use my PC for MSFS.

Ok, if you can afford a dedicated PC just for MSFS then this is great. But then for what version of MSFS, do we know if it's an incremental upgrade or a classic 2 years new version? What other features will appear during the upcoming years and is the hardware only meant for the default versions and subversions or the multiple level of possible expansions (addons).

In my case, when I built my setup 10 years ago, I was using FSX and creating scenery for it, but I did not built my setup with FSX in mind otherwise I would have regretted it 🙂

So I believe personally as an advice to never get a setup for a specific title based on dev specs but rather for a type of use or multi use.

Edited by Claviateur

@KenG I am sorry but this is not what the OP asked for. Everyone who waits until purchasing hardware will get a better one in the future...

Of course if you can get the last next gen CPU and GPU you will do well, and besides of being obvious, I really think a small percentage of flight simmers have the budget for such an utopia build.

1 minute ago, Noooch said:

@Claviateur I fully agree with you, but how do you answer the initial question?

I did answer it I suppose and I hope!

I believe it's not GPU or CPU... The or is not a valid choice for any simulation software in  my opinion. 

Frame rate in flight simulation or any demanding software with a lot of math and rendering in real time, in my opinion and after all these years, is simply based on a strong combination of multiple hardware components GPU/CPU/RAM and now the great SSD.

Did I misunderstand the whole topic? Please correct me if I did 🙂

5 minutes ago, Noooch said:

@KenG I am sorry but this is not what the OP asked for. Everyone who waits until purchasing hardware will get a better one in the future...

Of course if you can get the last next gen CPU and GPU you will do well, and besides of being obvious, I really think a small percentage of flight simmers have the budget for such an utopia build.

The only one who can truly answer exactly what he asked is Microsoft. Since the final software has yet to be released no one knows. 

He might as well be asking for the winning lottery numbers for next week. 

What we do know are the published requirements. We also know it will work on a Xbox One. 

Since most people tend to use add-ons I am saying take the requirements with a grain of salt. I doubt anyone will enjoy the sim in a minimum requirements PC. But, to each their own. 

9 hours ago, Captain747 said:

Actual frame rate will depend on which of the two (CPU/GPU) will be the bottleneck. That in turn will depend on the relative performance of your CPU and GPU, and also on the in-game settings used (example: if you use low res/AA and max out scenery objects, AI traffic, etc., CPU will usually bottleneck; if you use instead very high res/AA and minimize scenery objects, AI, etc., GPU will usually bottleneck).

You should strive for a balanced load of CPU/GPU in your system and making good use of in-game settings.

Although, generally speaking, in the gaming world CPU bottleneck is not considered a good thing, leading to more unstable FPS and stutters.

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Also we know for a fact the sim can be ran at 4K 60 fps at ultra settings with the ideal specs.

So if you play in 1080p like the majority of gamers, the specs needed will be lower, at least for the default sim.