Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Win 10 Pro 2004 - Heavy Addons - VRAM Settings etc - 30fps

Hey guys,

This is going to be mega thread with pretty pics - here are my settings on my PC to get 30fps pretty much with 30hz 4K Monitor on P3Dv5.  My PC is i7-5820K OC to 4.4GHZ, 16GB Quad channel DDR-2400 Ram, RTX 2070 super 8GB, all ssds, pcie-ssds.  4K monitors

Here is quick TL/DR

WINDOWS 10 2004 (10.0.19041.208 Release Preview) is a MUST for VRAM management (Right now you have to be Windows Insider to get - pros/cons to this - google it)

Nvidia Drivers Latest 445.87 Drivers 

8GB+ Video Card req (if less than that - ymmv but Windows 10 2004 build will help to some degree)

Do the 30hz Monitor trick with VSYNC ON+Triple buffer+Unlimited Frames in P3Dv5

Affinity mask it is upto you.  I have 6 core with HT on - I am using all cores except for the 1st core and its logical core.  4092 on my end.

My P3Dv5 Manual 4 Configs (rest are in pics below)

1) RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS=1.000000 (Default is 2)  - Update 6:54pm - see Rob's Answer below - this is better left alone to default

2) TextureMaxLoad=9   - @Rob_Ainscough can you help on this - I went to 9 as I was getting black textures when I went panning outside the VC and then back to VC in PMDG 747.  Weird I never had to do anything like this before.  This setting helped on the black VC textures reload etc I dunno what the frak is going on.  This setting has to be in on [DISPLAY] section.  See P3Dv5 Documentation it is listed in Advanced Config Section.

3) UseGlobalTerrainView=True - Default is False.  YMMV.  True does take some VRAM but I have always enabled it (from p3dv4).  Again Rob can chime in on this one.

4) Affinity Mask is set to 4092 for my cpu

If you disable TrueSky - you do save way more VRAM that is true but this is to show with Truesky I was getting great VRAM management and it looks so nice except for this patchy truesky blocks around things.  It is Beta lol.

Addons Used:

Orbx Global

OpenLC NA 

Global 2020 NG Mesh (this may not be needed at all moving forward),

FSDT Airports

AIG Planes

Active Sky P3D (Beta #2)

PMDG 747

RAAS 64bit Unlocked,

FSUIPC 6

@Rob_Ainscough and @simbol Please let LM know that Windows Build 10 2004 (RP) does better VRam management infact I accidently installed latest fast ring that was showing me 500MB consumption of VRAM vs 800Mb of VRAM - but fast ring is Not recommended at all for us simmers.  Things will break with it.

Now the Long part with pretty pictures (All Images are 4K - you will have to click them to see vram usage and fps)

P3D is love/hate relationship - we all are paid testers for LM - no denying this.  I wish we can get awesome graphics like other titles do but we are stuck with legacy code which I am amazed that LM decided to use for v5.  Freaking annoying but this is the fact of sim world.

We are now have come full circle to the land of OOMS (good old FSX days are back 🤦‍♂️.  Now it is VrOOMS - but I didn't worry as much this time with latest windows 10 build but this is now a moving target.  Any update could bring horrible VRAM management, even Nvidia drivers could.  Multiple vectors are there for freaking annoyance.  Sure bigger VRam cards are key but honestly I can't justify in this time of covid pandemic era to buy a new card when I have a 2070 RTX (which I bought on release 2019). 

As more features keep getting added even the 10 gb+ vram cards are not the answer. 

Efficient coding is KEY from all devs to leverage hardware properly (DX12 requires that).  If the product you buy and devs are sloppy - screw their product.  I am ultra strict now.  I vote with my wallet plain and simple.

LM will release Hotfix to get this sim to stable quality I am sure of that - so install addons which install outside the sim.  If you value your time - you will save it here.  At least keep it to minimum when installing addons which bury itself into SIM's root directory (b/c some devs will NEVER change their bad habits).

Here is what I do.

1) Install Sim

2) Install only addons which install outside the sim root - Orbx , FSDT etc

3) Configure Sim

4) New Update comes - Download Update

5) Move third addons from their addon directory to another directory (disabling them)

6) Run the current Sim - updates the addon files and it shows no addons are active

7) Uninstall the sim - completely - delete all P3Dv5 directories

8 - Install the new Sim update - Full Build Install

9) Best Part - Move all the third party addons into the original prepar3d addons directory, for Orbx I just put them back where it was originaly, and run sync my sim again.

10 Use Lorby Tool to check everything is fine and dandy - It usually is

11) Time Saved insane amounts  😃

I truly wish PMDG and Flightbeam will install outside the sim.  Atleast in Flightbeam's case they have files like Flytampa has hooks to install outside the sim.  I have done it in the past manually but I wish they would listen and do it.  FSDT @virtuali is always ahead of the game - just amazing.  And now Orbx followed suit and boy everything works flawlessly.  PS - I did alpha test Orbx Central lol for a short time - it truly has come a long way.

1) Windows 10 2004 Default VRAM usage

It shows 905 MB b/c I had windows Snipping tool open.  All windows open take some VRAM (but it is not crazy usage like Windows 1909 builds).

j0SXcRI.png

2) 4K Monitor Set to 30hz

3) P3D v5 Settings with TrueSky

2yA8gKY.png

U9R4BEE.png

3WQn3D5.png

4) FSUIPC Settings with Aggressive Traffic Settings

I just want to see some planes period and not drag my FPS down as it loads up entire airport.  I want FPS and fun bits.  Without AIG, my FPS is way over 30 fps.  I usually get like 45 fps with these addons at monitor set to 60hz but for now it is set to lowly 30hz.

9s0EUsy.png

5) VRAM Consumption = PMDG 747, AS P3D Beta 2, AIG, Truesky, FSDT KORD v2, Orbx Global, openLC NA, Pilots FS Global 2020 NG = 30fps+  --- See the weather

brFfmH0.jpg

Otab4CX.jpg

5QtNzNV.jpg

LYwya3C.jpg

6) VC Shot - FPS is near 30 fps - around 25-27fps - Can't beat that  - It is pretty stable

z35atYK.jpg

zYkV8vq.jpg

Hope it all helps - Enjoy and be safe out there.  Wish you all good health and success.

-Skywolf

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 2

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

5 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS=1.000000 (Default is 2)

what's this do?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just now, captain420 said:

what's this do?

From what I can tell it makes the far away autogen when it is coming up little smaller in size than 2.  I remember Rob mentioning this tweak a while back during 4.4 testing.  I have followed it since then.  It really doesn't make huge different but right now for this setup I wanted to make sure VRAM is stable good.  So I enabled it.  

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Very helpful Skywolf

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

@Skywolf,Great post thank you.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot to remove originator’s post.

@suchw, please do not quote someone’s post in its entirety - especially one as long as the OP’s.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Originators post removed from reply.

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I'm really anxious to get my hands on 2004. Not interested in the insider build, however. Hopefully MS releases before the end of the month. 

• Like 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

17 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

I'm really anxious to get my hands on 2004. Not interested in the insider build, however. Hopefully MS releases before the end of the month. 

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/04/30/getting-the-may-2020-update-ready-for-release-updated/ 

This is the final (this is what I have) - it is coming in few days anyway

Edited by Skywolf

Thanks for the tips.  I'm just discouraged and disappointed that here we are in 2020 with a "new" sim and we are tweaking and configing away like we've been doing for years and years.  Honestly, I'm using higher settings in v4 with latest HF and things are pretty good.  Not sure why I should go to v5 with these lower settings.

I just can't figure out why a beautiful, realistic, stable sim can't be built.  I watch some of my friends play these blow-up, killing, shooting games that are scary realistic in both image and sound and all I want to do is travel around the world among puffy skies and I get the CTD; but if I want to rip someone's arm off or crush their legs...it can all be done in 3D at super speed over and over again.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

Hi

Its amazes me how we all have different experiences, i have mine cranked up as high as i have ever had it and its smooth and beautiful, hopefully the beautiful realistic sim you wish for is msfs 2020

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

7 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Be careful with this setting ... in some situations 1.0 can have a significant FPS hit.

I used it to reduce the unloading of textures, but it is far less effective then using MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000.  It's used to control whether or not an object is rendered when it's a give pixel size.  The default value is 2, so any object that is 2 pixels or less will not be rendered.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob.

I will go back to default - looks like I only have 3 things to do with my config file...yay

P3Dv5 with TrueSky+AS P3D+Orbx sure is Pretty

Edited by Skywolf

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I used it to reduce the unloading of textures, but it is far less effective then using MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000

Rob,

To be clear this value is 320000 not 32000 correct, I have seen others state it as 32 thousand not 320 thousand.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

Huh. I have an 8700k and 1080, both completely stock, I literally have absolutely every setting maxed, not a single cfg mod, and I get 30 FPS on a 2k monitor. 

3 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Huh. I have an 8700k and 1080, both completely stock, I literally have absolutely every setting maxed, not a single cfg mod, and I get 30 FPS on a 2k monitor. 

Hey

Im getting that in 4K almost fully loaded with all addons only difference I fly in Australia and im sure its not as taxing as some of those big world airports

Wayne such

9 minutes ago, suchw said:

Hey

Im getting that in 4K almost fully loaded with all addons only difference I fly in Australia and im sure its not as taxing as some of those big world airports

PMDG birds along with AIG planes do take some FPS hits but I have few year older pc but my goal was to show everything is at 30fps on my end (incluiding the monitor 30hz) and most importantly VRAM management is great.  I just do not have to worry about VrOOM like I was able to have in previous windows 10 builds especially 1909 build.

If I fly A2A birds - I will probably put the monitor back to 60hz and slide everthing to the right on the config but I actually enjoy 1 set the settings and forget it.  I am just happy that I can enjoy these heavy airport sceneries I have.  

Gonna fly a lot later this evening    

As long as I can get at least 30fps with heavy add-ons running at 4k then I'm happy. We're almost there. By heavy add-ons I mean the essentials and more:

1. OrbX Global Base
  2. OrbX Buildings HD
  3. OrbX Trees HD
  4. OrbX TerraFlora v2
  5. OrbX OpenLC
  6. OrbX Full Regions
  7. OrbX True Earth
  8. OrbX CityScapes
  9. Drzewiecki Design City X
  10. Global Ship Traffic v2
  11. FSReborn AI Lights Pro
  12. AIG-OCI
  13. Fs2Crew RAAS Pro
  14. Fs2Crew PMDG/FSLabs Voice/Button Control
  15. GSX Level 2
  16. 3rd Party Airport Scenery
  17. Pro-ATC
  18. Aivlasoft EFB
  19. PMDG/FSLabs Planes
  20. Active Sky P3D
  21. FSUIPC

Now if anyone here can run with all of the above in 4K with everything enabled, and sliders all the way to the right consistently at 30fps and up. Then we're talking.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU