Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

VRAM the new bottle neck

15 minutes ago, ywg256 said:

Im interest to know how the heck to get that high vram in sim. I have pretty much all cranked settings after slowly moving most sliders to the right this week 4k res, texture exp=10 extended terrain, addons galore, orbx autogen maxed out, aig ai maxed out, truesky, asp3d, envtex all at highest resultion across the board with the highest i have seen at 6.3. I'm around 5.3 most of the time.  The one slider I dont have cranked is scenery complexity which once I am done my current flight will max out too. Maybe this one is why I am low still?

Well, which plane are you flying? 

I have absolutely no vram problems in most planes. But try the 717. Or have a look at LatinVFR KMIA. 

1 hour ago, JoeFackel said:

Uhm ... nope. Thats how the console guys are handling it, don't let us go three steps backwards just because some guys refuse to dial their sim settings fitting to their actual hardware capabilities.

Where did I say "backwards"???  I specifically said now, and I am referring to state-of-the-art hardware now - not what we hope might come along in 2 or 3 years. Honestly, these constant lectures about "dial your settings back" are tiresome.  I have been using P3D since v2, and been in on every version and every update.  I built my system specifically to run flight simulators. Take a look at my system specs in my sigs...  I have 12GB VRAM and basically every gaming title that is launched today I can run at ultra or near ultra settings - the only thing I can't run is ray-tracing (because most titles still don't have it and I would like to get a few more years out of my Titan Xp). Yet in P3D, regardless of which version, I don't dare go over mid-range settings on most sliders - I am basically using skywolf's recommendations from the other threads, which are hardly "max."

I mean, at what point will we actually get to tick all those shadow checkboxes that have been there for years?  v8?

Mind you, I am reasonably happy with what I see in v5, aside from the crashes and diver hangs that I am optimistic will get figured out (by somebody).  But I am tired of the constant tweaking and the compromising - to some it seems like that is an end in and of itself.  I would prefer to fly.

Edited by PurdueKev
  • Upvote 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

37 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

You'd probably CTD at a full PBR airport

Isn't SCEL by latinvfr full pbr or am I wrong? That is what I last flew in and out of. 

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

The Beta  TF 717 vram usage at the moment starts at 5.1 Gb for me.. very quickly rises to 5.9 then 6.. after another few minutes freezes the PC..which is a shame..would love to fly this..

I have an rtx 2080 with 8gb..and 16gb ram in an i7 4770k

I believe some fine tuning needs to be carried out both by LM and TFDI regarding Vram usage.as realistically most of the benefits of moving to P3Dv5 have yet to be realized by me

1 hour ago, PurdueKev said:

I mean, at what point will we actually get to tick all those shadow checkboxes that have been there for years?  v8?

Kevin - that's the same thing I've heard every release of any flightsim. The sim will always outperform the hardware. When the sim finally catches up and the hardware outperforms the sim, they release a new version that outperforms the hardware.  Rinse and repeat.

Think about it though - if the sim was maxed out and didn't stretch the hardware we'd be bombarded with posts asking " Why does my GPU only get used 40% with all settings maxed???" Pretty soon folks would get bored because there's  no way to improve - why buy a new system when you're not using this one? The concept is called planned obsolescence - keeps the demand for better programs which in turn demand better hardware - rinse repeat.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I've got all the shadow and water boxes ticked and most of the sliders maxed and in most places I get over 30fps. If you have top of the line hardware you can nearly max out everything.

37 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Kevin - that's the same thing I've heard every release of any flightsim. The sim will always outperform the hardware. When the sim finally catches up and the hardware outperforms the sim, they release a new version that outperforms the hardware.  Rinse and repeat.

Think about it though - if the sim was maxed out and didn't stretch the hardware we'd be bombarded with posts asking " Why does my GPU only get used 40% with all settings maxed???" Pretty soon folks would get bored because there's  no way to improve - why buy a new system when you're not using this one? The concept is called planned obsolescence - keeps the demand for better programs which in turn demand better hardware - rinse repeat.

Vic

I get it Vic - but at some point we need to catch up to where we were heading and set some new goals, don't we?  Anti-aliasing is still poor compared to benchmark applications, and even now only a very few can afford to apply SSAA...  shadows still cannot be used for more than perhaps clouds and a few buildings... etc etc.

L-M isn't in the hardware business, so why do they care about planned obsolescence? They should want as many potential users in their market to be able to actually use the tech they are creating. If even the super-users can't run it well, then what's the point of it all?

Again, I am happy we have finally reached a point where the doggone stutters are gone and I can run my variable refresh monitor with a (finally) proper sensation of flight - instead of having to buy a special monitor that can run handicapped at 30Hz (talk about going backwards!).  That is great!  But its kind of a low bar, to be honest.

My main objection to the topic in this thread - "VRAM is the new bottleneck" - is the expectation that we should again "brute force" our way forward, just now with the video cards.  It's discouraging.  There is no reason anyone should accept that you have to wait for new video cards that don't exist yet just to keep from crashing the sim at very modest settings.  I'm hopeful L-M patches the issues with DX12 just to prove that the extreme isn't necessary.

• Like 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

11 hours ago, ray hughes said:

The Beta  TF 717 vram usage at the moment starts at 5.1 Gb for me.. very quickly rises to 5.9 then 6.. after another few minutes freezes the PC..which is a shame..would love to fly this..

I have an rtx 2080 with 8gb..and 16gb ram in an i7 4770k

I believe some fine tuning needs to be carried out both by LM and TFDI regarding Vram usage.as realistically most of the benefits of moving to P3Dv5 have yet to be realized by me

Hi Ray seen the same . the issue is trueglass and reallight disable and VRAM is fine . Hopefully they can find a fix a so many aircraft I have brought have incorporated this software. Aerosoft and Qualitywings 787 for instance. TFDI are aware.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d