Sign in to follow this  
captain420

2xSSAA vs 4xMSAA

5 minutes ago, Shomron said:

DPI meaning? I have a Samsung 4k 32" ordered

dpi = dots per inch. I makes a big differnce whether you have 3820 x 2160  (4K) on a 27' screen or on a 49' screen (TV).

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

In the early days of v5 it was reported that using a lower SSAA than a higher MSAA was easier on VRAM but harder on FPS...not sure if that thought is playing out as we settle into the sim?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

5 hours ago, captain420 said:

8xMSAA would be comparable to 4xSSAA?

These are two different processes. Multisampling will always be inferior to Supersampling. Maybe there are noticeable differences in 8xMSAA vs 2xSSAA because 2x is really low, but it is still a superior image processing algorithm which will offer better results, obviously at the expense of GPU time.

• Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Perhaps it will be better when the new 3000 cards from nvidia arrive

49 minutes ago, modano said:

Perhaps it will be better when the new 3000 cards from nvidia arrive

I would like to make a remark on that. I bought a Titan RTX with 24GB and tested a lot. Please do always keep in mind that there will always be a combination for the whole output of the sim between CPU and GPU. 

P3D V5 does make much more use of the GFX card, but there are limits in terms of FPS as long as your CPU can´t keep up. I see this at heavy scenery like KLAX, EGLL and ORBX TE NE. Sliders almost all to the right and stuttering comes in because the ORBX TE NE loads a lot of terrain and autogen wich is still CPU bound also. 

VRAM up to 16 GB! And FPS around 30 to 35 stable. 

This with an i7 9700k to 5.0GhZ OC on all 8 cores. 

Marcus

My System specs:

Prepar3D_v5_Academic_5.0.24.34874

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 2004
Installed on 20200501
OS Build 1904.208
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0

Latest Nvidia Drivers

HMD VR WMR HP Reverb v2
i7 9700K all cores to 5.0 GhZ
32 GB RAM 3600 MhZ Corsair Vengeance
RTX Titan 24GB
32" Samsung UHD Monitor using highest resolution

Addons

ChasePlane (via ORBX)
GSX 2
ORBX Base
ORBX LC
ORBX TE NL
ORBX Regions
ORBX HD Buildings
ORBX HD Trees
Several Addon Aiports all by .xml method installed

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

8 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

The minimum setting that I can use on my PC @ 1920x1080 resolution on a 24" monitor is 4xSSAA. Both 2xSSAA and 4xMSAA (or anything MSAA for that matter) are nowhere near as good as 4xSSAA. However, I would say that 2xSSAA is better than 4xMSAA, and that it is probably slightly harder on performance.

I like what you suggest, Christopher, but when I tried your 4xSSAA, FSL promptly upon firing P3Dv4.5 suggest reverting to 4xMSAA, as apparently according to them,it's better performance. What's your take on this?

I got used to 8xMSAA with FXAA on on my 27" 1440p monitor. Add some nVIDIA sharpening in the mix to overcome the FXAA blurriness and the picture is fine. Of course more jittery than with using 4xSSAA, but 4xSSAA simply ruins FPS in bad weather conditions. Not tested yet how big the impact really is when using TrueSky, but at least in v4.5, 4xSSAA was a killer and made flying around in bad weather (or night time with DL on) impossible.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

4XSSAA is fine on my RTX 2080ti 

I wonder how 2x is with Fxaa 

Ps how you all maxing your VRAM so high? Is it addon planes Eating it? I’ve got pretty much all sliders maxed (except autogen draw distance at medium, as advised?) and advanced atmospherics on, and the most I've ever seen used is 7.2 GB? Thats over orbx and add on airports 

Without knowing your resolution... on FullHD, this might be the case, yes. In 4K, the story is different. I am usually as well at about 7-7.5GB usage max, just LatinVFR KMIA starts already at 7.8GB and then quickly increased until the sim crashes.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I feel like I'm in the sweet spot. 11GB of vram (2080ti) and a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor. No vram issues whatsoever, smooth flying, pretty high settings.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flycln said:

I feel like I'm in the sweet spot. 11GB of vram (2080ti) and a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor. No vram issues whatsoever, smooth flying, pretty high settings.

Likewise, You using the VRR setting in P3D with G-sync? Its brilliant. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

I like what you suggest, Christopher, but when I tried your 4xSSAA, FSL promptly upon firing P3Dv4.5 suggest reverting to 4xMSAA, as apparently according to them,it's better performance. What's your take on this?

4xMSAA will almost certainly give you better performance, but the compromise required in the visuals is not acceptable to me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

7 hours ago, zonda12s said:

Found my system could run 2xSSAA but VC instruments were slightly blurred. After trial and error went for 4xMSAA in P3D with Nvidia inspector Antialiasing transparency Supersampling set to 4x Sparse grid supersampling to compliment. Also in NV inspector set Antialiasing Mode to compatibility.

Best of both worlds. Clearer VC instruments and very little outside texture ‘flickering’.

I don't see a Compatibility in AA mode setting.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Can prepar 3d v5 run with nvidia inspector ? i did not know that.