Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The new Beta AS P3D (for v.4x)

Just seeking opinions on if there is any technical benefit between using the new Beta for P3D v4.x, or just use the latest Stand Alone AS P3D 4?

I haven't used the latest AS P3D for v4...only v5.

What do you the reader think?  Is there a compelling reason to now only use the new Beta for v4 weather?

Edited by Sesquashtoo

I have been suffering numerous Kernelbase.dll CTDs with the AS Beta on P3Dv 4.5HF3.  So have other people according to AS forums, I have now reverted to AS for v4 and all is well again.  I guess thats why they call it beta.

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Just seeking opinions on if there is any technical benefit between using the new Beta for P3D v4.x, or just use the latest Stand Alone AS P3D 4?

I haven't used the latest AS P3D for v4...only v5.

What do you the reader think?  Is there a compelling reason to now only use the new Beta for v4 weather?

My SkyForce clouds did were not depicted in the same way as they did in ASP4 & HF3 so I immediately went back to ASP4 and HF2.

I feel bad for Hi-Fi. They were pressured by the community to release an update to P3D v5 when the sim is technically still in beta.

Now they must deal with customer frustrations for what is basically a free upgrade.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Anyone who uses ASP3D in P3D version 4 and finds that it does not quite work as expected and finds this to be too hard for them, has the option to return to Active Sky for P3D v4, as you did and has no need to complain to anyone. I realise that a lack of need will not prevent complaints.

Anyone who is using it in P3D v5 has the option to return to P3D v4 and use their copy of Active Sky for P3D v4.

Anyone who removed their copy of P3D v4 in favour of P3D v5 acted too hastily and is the author of their own problems.

Anyone whose first version of P3D is v5 will not have access to this beta in any case.

I think that covers most eventualities.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 2

I believe the OP was asking for opinions - not a sermon.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

Thanks, the reply was not to the OP in particular, as they have already stated that they did not use it in P3D v4, but I am grateful to you for your intervention. If you are having a bad day, I hope that it improves for you.

Edited by Reader

A lot of simmers remove perfectly fine working installations of sims/addons in favor of the shiny new thing. More often than not, the results are predictable.

Reading the beta-product prescription I seen no compelling reason whatsoever to use P3D.

Edited by Ricardo41

34 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

A lot of simmers remove perfectly fine working installations of sims/addons in favor of the shiny new thing. More often than not, the results are predictable.

Reading the beta-product prescription I seen no compelling reason whatsoever to use P3D.

and then they come here and claim or want to make us think that the latest version is the best since slice read.

ASP3D, just like P3D v5, for me were downgrades. 

9 minutes ago, DJJose said:

and then they come here and claim or want to make us think that the latest version is the best since slice read.

ASP3D, just like P3D v5, for me were downgrades. 

Yep,

But I'm petty much optimistic about the future. Probably, with 5.2 or 5,3 version we'll get a stable sim.

So far, enjoy flying with 4.5hf3

10 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Yep,

But I'm petty much optimistic about the future. Probably, with 5.2 or 5,3 version we'll get a stable sim.

So far, enjoy flying with 4.5hf3

I'm optimistic about the new sim coming in 2020. 😀

Sorry, I could not resist.'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyD said:

I guess thats why they call it beta.

Correct. And that's why I don't like betas anymore.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

3 hours ago, TonyD said:

I have been suffering numerous Kernelbase.dll CTDs with the AS Beta on P3Dv 4.5HF3.  So have other people according to AS forums, I have now reverted to AS for v4 and all is well again.  I guess thats why they call it beta.

Thanks very much for your input.  I'll just use the new Beta for v5 then, and use the prior rock- solid AS(v4) for that.  Thanks...was wondering...

Post Edit:  Just wanted to also add, that I was having pretty constant CTD's...about 8-20 minutes into a flight. I 'thought' it might have to do with AS for P3D interacting with some code bug in V5. Nope...it was actually my A.I. Traffic Pro (created for V4)...which I think,  over ran some sort of 'buffer'?  But I would get two huge stutters...one 20 second total freeze of animation, with no keyboard interaction, and then a dump to the Desk Top.  I removed the program from V5...and no further CTD's of any kind...no stutters...and AS for P3D (v5 mode) is working without flaw!   It was not the problem...(CTD's).  It was my using my Pro Traffic built and vetted for another P3D series. My risk...and my fault...now, corrected. 🙂

Edited by Sesquashtoo

4 hours ago, TonyD said:

I had the same issue but I traced it to MSI Afterburner's overlay, turning off RTSS before starting P3Dv5 fixed it for me so far.

As always with the current state of P3Dv5 YMMV 🙂

This is the problem that developers face. There are so many add ons that can affect a product and there is no way to test them all before release. What makes it more difficult is when trying to debug the product the user states no addons and then later we find they forgot that they installed some little tweak program ,etc.

Legit complaints are helpful and it assists the dev in tracking down the bug. Just saying it doesn't work, it's a piece of garbage and I'm going back to old product is not helpful.

Lastly, remember that most people do not come to the forums to post how good a product is - they are too busy enjoying it. People who are having a problem come for answers so it is very easy to get a negative slant on any product,

Vic

• Like 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

7 hours ago, DJJose said:

My SkyForce clouds did were not depicted in the same way as they did in ASP4 & HF3 so I immediately went back to ASP4 and HF2.

Are you talking about v4.5 or v5? I'm still on v4.5 and the clouds when using ASP3D really do look strange... like the bottom part of the cloud is something that resembles soft clouds and the top part is what REX SkyForce provides.

Anyway, I did only two flights with ASP3D so far and didn't experience any issues. I installed and activated it solely because you have to do that to be eligible to free upgrade when the beta ends. Now that I have it installed I'm going to use it because, so far, I can't find any reason not to.