Sign in to follow this  
AllanK

Auto pilot - altitude

I have just bought this plane and am running it on P3D V5. I have spent a lot of time watching the training video and documenting the procedures.

I have not yet figured out the altitude control. I have set the digital altitude display to 4000. After takeoff  I enable HDG and then arm ALT SEL. The plane does not level out at 4000 and continues to climb.

Any suggestion on the correct procedure for the AP to work with the altitude setting would be appreciated,

Allan - newby

39 minutes ago, AllanK said:

I have just bought this plane and am running it on P3D V5. I have spent a lot of time watching the training video and documenting the procedures.

I have not yet figured out the altitude control. I have set the digital altitude display to 4000. After takeoff  I enable HDG and then arm ALT SEL. The plane does not level out at 4000 and continues to climb.

Any suggestion on the correct procedure for the AP to work with the altitude setting would be appreciated,

Allan - newby

After arming ALT SEL, you should turn on SPD or V/S. And of course, the AP must be turned on with the ENG button. The AP SPD function will try to maintain the indicated airspeed (Knots) the a/c is climbing (or descending) at, the AP V/S function will try to maintain the vertical speed (ft/min) the a/c is climbing (or descending) at. It is usually best to climb using SPD, and descend using V/S, because if you climb in V/S there is the danger the a/c may stall if it has to pitch up to much in an attempt to maintain the vertical speed.  Note it is very important that before you engage SPD or V/S you have trimmed the a/c so it 'almost' flies hands-off. If the a/c is not in trim when you engage SPD or V/S, the a/c will pitch up and down as it "hunts" for the correct trim setting.

Al

Edited by ark

Thank you - I now have successfully taken off, navigated and landed for the first time.😊

This is a fun plane to fly - a lot more hands-on than other jets I have tried.

Allan

8 hours ago, AllanK said:

Thank you - I now have successfully taken off, navigated and landed for the first time.😊

This is a fun plane to fly - a lot more hands-on than other jets I have tried.

Allan

🙂

Al

On 5/11/2020 at 9:47 PM, ark said:

After arming ALT SEL, you should turn on SPD or V/S. And of course, the AP must be turned on with the ENG button. The AP SPD function will try to maintain the indicated airspeed (Knots) the a/c is climbing (or descending) at, the AP V/S function will try to maintain the vertical speed (ft/min) the a/c is climbing (or descending) at. It is usually best to climb using SPD, and descend using V/S, because if you climb in V/S there is the danger the a/c may stall if it has to pitch up to much in an attempt to maintain the vertical speed.  Note it is very important that before you engage SPD or V/S you have trimmed the a/c so it 'almost' flies hands-off. If the a/c is not in trim when you engage SPD or V/S, the a/c will pitch up and down as it "hunts" for the correct trim setting.

Al

Hi Al,

Still continue to enjoy the Flightsimware Lear 35.  It's still one of the best add-on for FSX/P3D.  

I too noticed that ALT SEL needs the V/S or SPD engaged to capture.  Just FYI, that's not how the real airplane works.  You can leave in PIT mode with ALT SEL armed and the F/D will capture the preselected altitude and transition to ALT at the selected altitude.  That's true for the FC-530 and FC-535 FD/AP systems.  

Is there a chance to get this corrected in a future update?  

Thanks,

Rich Boll

Wichita, KS (home of the Learjet). 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

22 hours ago, richjb2 said:

Is there a chance to get this corrected in a future update?  

Don't know. I've been told there is a sim limitation involved. I'll take a look and let Mark know what I learn, if anything. Whether to do anything is his call, of course.

Al

Edited by ark

On 11/1/2020 at 3:59 PM, ark said:

Don't know. I've been told there is a sim limitation involved. I'll take a look and let Mark know what I learn, if anything. Whether to do anything is his call, of course.

Al

Thanks Al!

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

11 hours ago, richjb2 said:

Thanks Al!

Rich Boll

Rich,

I put together an experimental Lear35.cab file you can try. This goes in the Lear's panel folder. You would just need to first back up the original file of the same name by renaming it to Lear35_Orig.cab, and then paste the new file in the panel folder as a replacement. Then start the sim.

With this new cab file, if you turn on the AP without any other modes on, you will be in Attitude Hold (Roll and Pitch Hold) which in the sim means pitch hold and wings level (unfortunately there is no non-zero bank hold in the sim). If you then turn on ALTSEL, but nothing else, you should remain in wings level and pitch hold and capture the altitude in the altitude preselector assuming you are already in the needed climb or descent pitch attitude.  Any mode other than ALTSEL takes you out of Roll and Pitch hold.  Climbing or descending in VS or SPD should work as before.

So if you want to try this PM me an email address and I'll send you the cab file. This is experimental code so there could be some unintended surprises -- wear a parachute!

Al

Edited by ark