Sign in to follow this  
micstatic

V5: ENVTEX/ASCA/ActiveSky

What's the latest on how best to get these to play together in V5?  I'm currently running them without Enhanced Atmospherics.  I am confused which of the 4 boxes I should leave checked in ASCA 7420 and also how i should configure envtex.  Also I manually added my path to V5 in the asca settings under simulators.  But it's listed in orange.  Not sure what that means.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

There's an explanation in the help manual, its a choice which of  the textures you wish to use , from ASCA or Envshade.

from some odd reason I cant get it installed fully as I get a  pop-up message to say incompatible and shaders will not be loaded , most odd.

bob

edit .. The orange highlights the current sim, the box at the end needs to be ticked to make active.

Edited by onebob

@micstatic that's a bit hard to explain but I will try...

1. If v5 is run without EA then AS + ASCA + ENTEX will work exactly as in v4 (you will have to get the latest BETA's / versions for them to work)

2. If you run v5 with EA then ASCA will not inject anything (you will still get the green message but you will see Trusky clouds). ASCA has not yet a replacement for Trusky textures ;).

I suspect you have v4 and v5 in paralel. In ASCA you will see the orange path to your "Documents" for the ACTIVE simulator. Unfortunately you don't see the entire path (yup...silly one from ASCA GUI) but if you choose another theme and hit Activate, it will display where it will inject the theme "....v4" or "...v5". If it's the wrong one, you have to cancel and choose the other path as the active simulator....

• Like 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

@GEKtheReaper thanks for the explanation, now seeing clouds in EA, will try again to install Envtextures

I see paths to P3D4 and 5, although I've uninstalled ver 4 , maybe that's what's been the problem.

many thanks bob

Edited by onebob

On my system Asca ruined the whole immersion, the default sky gives a much better lighting or is it my imagination? With Asca on all looked horrible on my system.

Edited by rob0203

1 hour ago, rob0203 said:

On my system Asca ruined the whole immersion, the default sky gives a much better lighting or is it my imagination? With Asca on all looked horrible on my system.

ASCA should not change anything when you use v5 with EA enabled since it has not been disgned for it.

Over ground, default v5 without EA should look the same as default v4. Be also cautious what you compare, e.g.: if you load v5 in fair weather it would look different then with Active Sky and real weather, which again would look different with Active Sky real weather and ASCA....

Just have in mind that a HDR photo might blow your mind but it does not represent the reality...

Gerald K. - Germany

3 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

@micstatic that's a bit hard to explain but I will try...

1. If v5 is run without EA then AS + ASCA + ENTEX will work exactly as in v4 (you will have to get the latest BETA's / versions for them to work)

2. If you run v5 with EA then ASCA will not inject anything (you will still get the green message but you will see Trusky clouds). ASCA has not yet a replacement for Trusky textures ;).

I suspect you have v4 and v5 in paralel. In ASCA you will see the orange path to your "Documents" for the ACTIVE simulator. Unfortunately you don't see the entire path (yup...silly one from ASCA GUI) but if you choose another theme and hit Activate, it will display where it will inject the theme "....v4" or "...v5". If it's the wrong one, you have to cancel and choose the other path as the active simulator....

am I just missing it.  I am attempting to change a theme to see where it will inject.  But I don't see anything.  So I click Wx influence config. Then change to a different theme and click apply but see no alerts of any kind?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

@micstatic that's strange...

Questions:

1. Do you have both v4 and v5 installed?

2. Did you update ASCA to SP3?

3. Do you see 2 paths "c:\<your username>\My documents\..." in ASCA's settings page?

Im at work now and can't check on my system if I get the message when I choose v4 as the active simulator.

Gerald K. - Germany

1.  Yes

2. Yes I did.  ASCA 7420

3.  See attached image for my paths.  I added a 3rd thinking I needed to for V5 since I installed it on a different drive.  

https://imgur.com/a/ljsubC1

thanks for your time Gerald

The D:\ path is wrong.

Delete it and add the point to the v5 Addon folder "C:\users\David\....

The orange path is your v4 ACTIVE simulator path.

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Gerald K. - Germany

thanks.  I'll try.  Unfortunately I don't see anywhere in the settings to delete the d drive entry.  I'll see if I can figure it out.  Or did you just mean to change where I have the D entry and modify the path and have it point to to Prepar3d V5 Add-ons folder and then whenever I run V5 click make active on that entry.  Then whenever I run V4 click make active on the V4 addons one?  If so great.  Then I would like to move forward and see if my settings which i list below look good.  Your help is VERY much appreciated. 

BTW, here is a better link that shows the rest of the settings and the envtex settings. 

https://imgur.com/a/EwqD29j

1 hour ago, GEKtheReaper said:

ASCA should not change anything when you use v5 with EA enabled since it has not been disgned for it.

Over ground, default v5 without EA should look the same as default v4. Be also cautious what you compare, e.g.: if you load v5 in fair weather it would look different then with Active Sky and real weather, which again would look different with Active Sky real weather and ASCA....

Just have in mind that a HDR photo might blow your mind but it does not represent the reality...

For me FSGRW with default clouds looks way better then the new ASP3D and ASCA. I have been a lot in airplanes for my work and the ASCA clouds look like if they were drawn to fit in a comic book!  Maybe it is my widescreen I don't know but it looks really ugly compared to default!

11 minutes ago, micstatic said:

thanks.  I'll try.  Unfortunately I don't see anywhere in the settings to delete the d drive entry.  I'll see if I can figure it out.  Or did you just mean to change where I have the D entry and modify the path and have it point to to Prepar3d V5 Add-ons folder and then whenever I run V5 click make active on that entry.  Then whenever I run V4 click make active on the V4 addons one?  If so great.  Then I would like to move forward and see if my settings which i list below look good.  Your help is VERY much appreciated. 

BTW, here is a better link that shows the rest of the settings and the envtex settings. 

https://imgur.com/a/EwqD29j

You don't have to do anything prior to starting 4.5 or 5, if you updated ASCA as you said you did, ASCA will react automatically to which version of P3D you load. And you are correct that you point the ver5 path to your add-ons folder.

• Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

thanks Jim.  Have you found a particular preference for how you check the 4 asca cloud boxes and what envtex cloud/sky settings you use yet?  

For using Envtex cirrus and cumulus and sky, just keep all ASCA boxes checked, 'caus Envtex overwrite the ASCA files, so if you uncheck any boxes you will not have the clouds.  Envidir clouds: Cumulus set 4, Cirrus set 3, Cumulus for ASCA set 1. then Envtex settings I run the smallest res clouds offered. the sky is set to 24hr 

Edited by jimcarrel
  • Like 3

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's