Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Mega Addons with Amazing Performance in 4K - Part 2

25 minutes ago, julian2 said:

Hi Skywolf. Latest driver and also 2004 release preview. HT also turned off in bios and no affinity mask. 4 cores. 

Maybe P3Dv5 wants more cores.  Can you try with LoD 2.5 as you have 4 Core - see what happens.  Do the stutters go away? 

P3Dv5 is 

Hitting these cores fully

Core 0

Core 1

Core 2 (Not full)

Core  3 

Core 4 (Not full)

Core 5 

3 Cores full and 2 cores way less 

LfcniKr.png

may you can try - P3D on 3 Cores and open up 2HT threads

4 Core HT enabled CPUs.  V5 Requires more Juice/Power

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=245

That Uses Core 0, Core 1 and Core 2 and Core 3 (the last 2 have HT logical used)

Or 

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=117

Uses Core 0, Core 1, Core 2 with HT, and then core 3

That gives the sim 3 full cores only and only 1 core with logical core

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

LOD 2.5 also did not work. I also lowered all settings to the lowest for testing. I get around 80 to 90 fps but the one stutter every 30 seconds remains.

Will try Affinity Mask 245 now

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, Windows 10 Home 64bit with 2004 Update

3 minutes ago, julian2 said:

LOD 2.5 also did not work. I also lowered all settings to the lowest for testing. I get around 80 to 90 fps but the one stutter every 30 seconds remains.

Will try Affinity Mask 245 now

Remember to clear your caches. 

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Just now, Skywolf said:

Remember to clear your caches. 

I will think of it in my dreams 😉

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, Windows 10 Home 64bit with 2004 Update

I can finally pick up the dirt from the shores of Orbx KFHR Friday Harbor Airport - Flying over at 284 kts @ 5000 ft.  Crazy thing is Windows freed up max VRAM to 7.1 - I am only consuming 4.5.  You do NOT Need to look at VRAM management in your sim all the time as this is completely different from the days of 32bit sims and system memory.  I am just showing you for illustration.  All the pics are 4K with VRAM usage and FPS shown.

This airport was never super clear for me before.

Hope you all get to enjoy P3Dv5 as much as I do with these potentials tweaks 

LSUuV2a.jpg

IfHgFFo.jpg

Swbvq6Z.jpg

8h9Dwi3.jpg

Iq2Q91Z.jpg

wawuRt7.jpg

the view outside the window is so sharp - going towards FSDT CYVR

K0PCokU.jpg

KSEA Area

AlsAwii.jpg

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skywolf said:

Maybe P3Dv5 wants more cores.  Can you try with LoD 2.5 as you have 4 Core - see what happens.  Do the stutters go away? 

P3Dv5 is 

Hitting these cores fully

Core 0

Core 1

Core 2 (Not full)

Core  3 

Core 4 (Not full)

Core 5 

3 Cores full and 2 cores way less 

LfcniKr.png

may you can try - P3D on 3 Cores and open up 2HT threads

4 Core HT enabled CPUs.  V5 Requires more Juice/Power

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=245

That Uses Core 0, Core 1 and Core 2 and Core 3 (the last 2 have HT logical used)

Or 

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=117

Uses Core 0, Core 1, Core 2 with HT, and then core 3

That gives the sim 3 full cores only and only 1 core with logical core

It is frustrating. 245 made it worse, 117 made no changes, still stutters.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help.

Which one of the tweaks from the original post is the one which gets the lights and autogen to be displayed so far out into the distance?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

34 minutes ago, julian2 said:

It is frustrating. 245 made it worse, 117 made no changes, still stutters.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help.

Did you enable hyperthreading? The way Beau explained how v5 uses cores, it does seem advantageous to have HT on and use an AM to mask of the first 2 physical cores to just a single thread.  The 245 mask that was suggested would be with HT on.  11110101, or 245, will leave the first two threads (the most sensitive) free of competition, but give you for more threads. It looks like of those 4 additional threads, two will be used for terrain loading/rendering and two will be used as overflow for threads 0/1 - at least that's how it is behaving on my system with 6 cores assigned to P3D.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

Which one of the tweaks from the original post is the one which gets the lights and autogen to be displayed so far out into the distance?

These 3 are required.  By windows is build 2004 version has excellent vram management  and 8gb video card required

3) Enable HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1 in Settings

3) TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10  - this goes in [TERRAIN]

4) LOD_RADIUS=3.500000 

I have completely disabled HT on my end - but I have 6 cores.  Using no affinity mask

Edited by Skywolf

14 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Hi guys,

Looks like I have finally achieved on what I have been wanting to do for a while with my hardware.  I figured out the trick for people with 8GB video cards and having at minimum 30fps with the following addons installed - including one of the most fps hit area that has plagued almost all of us for ages.

Finally pulled off Slick FPS at 30fps with 30hz 4K monitor (TL/DR - see also pics) - My VRAM stayed around 5.2GB in SoCaL area with all that autogen and flying.  AT KORD area it jumped to 6gb but still tons left.

with 

Set the following in P3Dv5 and CPU - My tweaks are even less in the second round but the addons complexity increased insanely.

1) Disable HT and No Affinity Mask - I tried them all.  Let P3Dv5 do its thing.

2) MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=300000 (Default is 1000)

3) Enable HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1 in Settings

3) TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10  - this goes in [TERRAIN]

4) LOD_RADIUS=3.500000   

(Yes, put LOD to 3.5 with Texture Size ExP to 10, and hi res textures - all 3 go hand in hand) - If these are not like this - 8GB Video Card will get vrOOM!!! 4.5 LOD will straight up OOM with that high texture exp)

Thanks for the post, I have a few questions about your settings.  How are you getting autogen to draw so far out even with LOD of only 3.5?  Is it the texture request distance tweak?  I see you are using a rift S, are you able to use stereo mode (Without single pass so that truesky works) without killing your fps?  When I tried stereo instead of single pass to make truesky work in v5 my fps halved from what they were with single pass.  At that point I just gave up on v5.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

16 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

Thanks for the post, I have a few questions about your settings.  How are you getting autogen to draw so far out even with LOD of only 3.5?  Is it the texture request distance tweak?  I see you are using a rift S, are you able to use stereo mode (Without single pass so that truesky works) without killing your fps?  When I tried stereo instead of single pass to make truesky work in v5 my fps halved from what they were with single pass.  At that point I just gave up on v5.  

I have not tried Rift S with p3d v5 yet.  I am just enjoying the tweaks for now.  I want to sim lol.  I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to tweaking, even my wife laughs - she says I spend more time tweaking than flying.  

I know Rift S will force some more tweaking.

The key with Texture_Size_ExP is it expands - for example setting of 10 makes the sim use 1024 textures and you have to reduce LOD to 3.5 when using 8gb video card

“TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP   Is short for “texture size exponent”    This is the resolution of the per-tile texture.   By default this was 8 with previous versions of Prepar3D,   8 being each terrain tile at 256×256 texture. (2^8 = 256)   

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9     This will use 512 sized textures and will look like you have double your LOD radius,  You will need at least 6 gig of video ram to use this 

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10    This will use 1024 sized textures,

I knew about this from P3Dv4 days but I could never get good graphics with P3Dv4 using this tweak.  But now DX12 is pushing lot of data into the GPU - hence I am getting better graphics and fidelity in P3Dv5

HT is now issue - I am sure it works on some and doesn't on others.  P3Dv5 does thing different from v4.  It is a different sim after all.

My pc spec has Quad memory channels full active and I have bigger cache on my cpu.  I assume some of these things are making a difference provided being few years motherboard+cpu.

Edited by Skywolf

4 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

I have not tried Rift S with p3d v5 yet.  I am just enjoying the tweaks for now.  I want to sim lol.  I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to tweaking, even my wife laughs - she says I spend more time tweaking than flying.  

I know Rift S will force some more tweaking.

The key with Texture_Size_ExP is it expands - for example setting of 10 makes the sim use 1024 textures and you have to reduce LOD to 3.5 when using 8gb video card

“TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP   Is short for “texture size exponent”    This is the resolution of the per-tile texture.   By default this was 8 with previous versions of Prepar3D,   8 being each terrain tile at 256×256 texture. (2^8 = 256)   

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9     This will use 512 sized textures and will look like you have double your LOD radius,  You will need at least 6 gig of video ram to use this 

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10    This will use 1024 sized textures,

Tell me about it, I spend more time tweaking these days too lol, especially when im trying to give my 6600k some life while I wait for the 10 series to be released.  I understand about the texture size tweak, it should in theory allow more sharp textures to be rendered further out but what does that have to do with drawing 3d objects like autogen further out in the distance?  i always thought the only thing that affected that was the autogen draw slider.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

5 hours ago, cwburnett said:

Did you enable hyperthreading? The way Beau explained how v5 uses cores, it does seem advantageous to have HT on and use an AM to mask of the first 2 physical cores to just a single thread.  The 245 mask that was suggested would be with HT on.  11110101, or 245, will leave the first two threads (the most sensitive) free of competition, but give you for more threads. It looks like of those 4 additional threads, two will be used for terrain loading/rendering and two will be used as overflow for threads 0/1 - at least that's how it is behaving on my system with 6 cores assigned to P3D.

Ah thanks I havent seen it. In this case the 245 does not make it worse but also not better. I also tried the vsync tutorial from simmershome for v4. But also with that the stutter remains. FPS go down to 1FPS for one second around every 30 seconds. 

5 hours ago, julian2 said:

Ah thanks I havent seen it. In this case the 245 does not make it worse but also not better. I also tried the vsync tutorial from simmershome for v4. But also with that the stutter remains. FPS go down to 1FPS for one second around every 30 seconds. 

Is your video card running at Maximum power and is your pc set to Maximum power profile?

For video card it is the Nvidia Control Panel - and pc is well your windows power setting.

Your cpu is newer than mine, and you have more system ram.  You should get good improvements

Also - Did you exclude your sim directory in your Antivirus?

All my addons are inside one directory including Prepar3d v5.  So I have entire folder excluded along with Chase plane (it even comes with instructions during install automatically).  Followed by Prepar3d Addons directories 

5 hours ago, julian2 said:

As Skywolf mentions check your power profile on the vidcard in the nvidia control panel.

Monitor your cpu usage during one of those 30 second pauses.  Task Manager might tell you what app is eating cycles during those times, but, I'd suggest a utility like ProcessExplorer or Filemon to determine exactly what is running at those times.   A regular pause with that time interval makes me think it is an external app or process.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB