Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

FSPS : FFTF DYNAMIC P3Dv5 Released

The FFTF P3Dv5 version is apparently not available from SimMarket yet which is where I bought the P3Dv4 version.

Al

5 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It’s released, I am going to try it, I just hope it works with variable refresh rate setting. 

Hi,

Please be more specific.

You mean something like the frame limiter?

Edited by Achilles Philippopoulos

Achilles

Flight Simulator Plaform Solutions

49 minutes ago, NickBo said:

I don't know which one is the most outrageous, the fact that this software is needed or that people actually pay for it, even multiple times. Have you thought about what this software actually does?  Well it says it right on the package, it changes a value inside of the sim during runtime based on a couple of other variables like the aircraft height. That's it. It's what, maybe 30 lines of code? Changing this variable will cost you around 15-19 euro. And if you got it for Prepar3Dv4 you will have to pay again with almost no discount. That's almost as much as e.g. an entire game or other complex software that took years to develop.

If changing the FFTF value is required for a smooth sim you should complain to LM. You paid a lot for their software and you should not accept lazy programming that require payware 3rd party bug fixes.

Sorry but I think that if you buy software like this you're part of the problem. Prepar3D will not evolve, bugs will not get fixed, and 3rd party developers will continue to see fantastic opportunities to sell overpriced bug fixes to desperate users.

NickBo - you've had a total of 13 posts - each of them a complaint about LM and/or P3D - I suggest you find another agenda. You are entitled to your opinion - you've made your point known - now move on.

Vic

• Like 10

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

14 minutes ago, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

[...]

Hi Achilles, will FFTF Dynamic for v5 also be available via simmarket?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

18 minutes ago, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

Hi,

Please be more specific.

You mean something like the frame limiter?

No, the new version 5 setting, variable refresh rate for Freesync and   G-sync monitors. 
I did already purchase FFTF now and it most certainly does work. 
My 9900KS is purring along and my rtx2080ti is nice and loaded. On my ultrawide at 2k, using about 5-7GB VRAM so room to spare, flying Over Aerosoft Ibiza at 50fps locked to gsync, pretty much all maxed out with new advanced atmospherics, and now, thanks to FFTF, no stutters, you can imagine how it looks on my screen? And my grin 🙂 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Hi Achilles, will FFTF Dynamic for v5 also be available via simmarket?

Hi Chris,

It will be after a while as usual.

• Like 2

Achilles

9 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

My 9900KS is purring along and my rtx2080ti is nice and loaded. On my ultrawide at 2k, using about 5-7GB VRAM so room to spare, flying Over Aerosoft Ibiza at 50fps locked to gsync, pretty much all maxed out with new advanced atmospherics, and now, thanks to FFTF, no stutters, you can imagine how it looks on my screen? And my grin 🙂 

I can imagine. Thats why we increased also the FFTF setting range to 2. Plenty room here also.

• Like 1

Achilles

Just now, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

I can imagine. Thats why we increased also the FFTF setting range to 2. Plenty room here also.

I’ve got it set at .34

What happens up to 2?! 

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’ve got it set at .34

What happens up to 2?! 

Same question :happy:

My understanding is that this setting is a fraction of the time slice available.. with 0.33 the FS default (with locked framerates).. How can this ever be greater than 1.0??

• Like 1

Bert

2 hours ago, NickBo said:

it changes a value inside of the sim during runtime based on a couple of other variables like the aircraft height. That's it. It's what, maybe 30 lines of code?

Have you ever actually tried analysing 64-bit code in machine disassemblies to work out who is doing what to which and thus locating exactly the right thing, or things, to change? 

I have done it extensively in 32-bit code (FS98 through to P3D3), but I took one look at P3D4 innards and said to myself 'no way'!  The only reason I felt qualified to attempt it in 32-bit code was because I started programming as an engineering test programmer back in 1963 (on the prototype Leo III), so I had a lot of low level experience. But these days the compilers are so damned good at optimising with parallel activities and making weird uses of the many complex registers and instructions now available, that it has become a nightmare.

I have used FFTF extensively with P3Dv4 and it was the last add-on I needed to make a complete move over to P3D5.

I don't think anyone has the right to belittle someone else's work unless they can show they can do it better. And even then it isn't a nice thing to do.

Pete

• Like 21
  • Upvote 5

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Ok, let's say this software is really advanced and required years of research and development.

That was not the main point though. The point was, if I buy a brand new car I expect all four wheels to spin.

I shouldn't have to tow the brand new car to another shop just to buy an expensive tool that will make the fourth wheel spin. Especially if I just did this a few months ago with my other brand new car. And the one before that. The car manufacturer should FIX their product. But if we as buyers just happily accept to get a 3 wheel car every time, why should the manufacturer bother to fix it? Nothing will improve.

In normal software you turn to the developer of that product to fix bugs. In Prepar3D on the other hand we always ask which 3rd party developer can sell us a fix. The fact that it seems to be a controversial opinion that the developer should fix their own bugs kind of explains why we still have all those well known 15 year old FS9/FSX bugs in Prepar3D.

Pay for extra features, yes. Pay to fix bugs and flaws, no way

Edited by NickBo
  • Upvote 2

I love the v4 app, and will gladly get it for v5 - when will it be on Simmarket - that is where I got v4. 

I wonder if your store discount will apply at Simmarket orders (when it comes there)? @Achilles Philippopoulos

Unless I can enter my simmarket order at your store (get the 20% discount).  I already have a FSPS store account

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

6 minutes ago, NickBo said:

The point was, if I buy a brand new car I expect all four wheels to spin.

I shouldn't have to tow the brand new car to another shop just to buy an expensive tool that will make the fourth wheel spin.

If you are going to use such rather silly comparisons, make them right, please:

what you compare here is not a brand new car just driven out of the garage, but rather a brand new car, moved over to the tuning shop before you ever have driven it, then you basically add new rims, wider tires, lower suspension, new exhaust, a lot of body works and on top of this, you chiptuned your motor and maybe replaced the gearbox. Only then, you sit in your car and then you drive. And something does not work as expected. Do you then run to the original garage and complain about it? What would you think does the garage tell you if you go there with your heavily tuned car and complain about the behaviour of the car on the street or other problems you have? Correct: they will tell you that you should go to your tuning shop and complain...

As I said (and obviously hard to comprehend for you): the default, blank P3D works like a charm, always did. It is our endless list of addons we stuff into our sims that make things complicated.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Exactly.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

If you are going to use such rather silly comparisons, make them right, please:

what you compare here is not a brand new car just driven out of the garage, but rather a brand new car, moved over to the tuning shop before you ever have driven it, then you basically add new rims, wider tires, lower suspension, new exhaust, a lot of body works and on top of this, you chiptuned your motor and maybe replaced the gearbox. Only then, you sit in your car and then you drive. And something does not work as expected. Do you then run to the original garage and complain about it? What would you think does the garage tell you if you go there with your heavily tuned car and complain about the behaviour of the car on the street or other problems you have? Correct: they will tell you that you should go to your tuning shop and complain...

As I said (and obviously hard to comprehend for you): the default, blank P3D works like a charm, always did. It is our endless list of addons we stuff into our sims that make things complicated.

No, it does not work like a charm by default. Pete even said he didn't want to upgrade until this 3rd party bug fix was released. And yes, it's a bug fix, not a new feature or enhancement. That's where things go wrong. Don't confuse bugs (lack of spinning wheels) with enhancements (a new gearbox). We see this all the time - can't upgrade until addon X/Y/Z is released because the default is so bad that it makes the sim unusable.

If the addons took something that was ok by default and turned them into something good or great, that's where we should put our money. Not to fix bugs or to compensate for lack of features that one should absolutely expect in a $200 software.

If the sim isn't smooth but can be fixed with a trivial 3rd party software, shouldn't we expect the developer to actually fix this bug? Since you and most people don't agree with me here, the result is that LM will not fix this bug or any other 100+ known bugs. In Prepar3D v6, v7, v8, v9, v10 you will likely still be paying money to fix the same bugs over and over again. And pay to get the ATC to go from unusable to usable. And pay to get clouds that don't look like squares. And pay to get AI that aren't from the 80's. The list goes on. Maybe I'm the one with a limited wallet here who think that if you pay $200, you could expect some level of functionality and some kind of response to bug reports.

Edited by NickBo
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1