Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

FSPS : FFTF DYNAMIC P3Dv5 Released

8 hours ago, ttbq1 said:

I have it exactly the same as you. NVI vsync at 1/2 refresh rate and triple buffer on.

Then while in p3d you will need to untick the vsync and after starting the flight press ALT+ENTER to switch to “fullscreen” mode. In windowed mode it will not work.

Oh, I see, so vsync should be disabled.  Makes sense now I will try that next time.  Cheers

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

37 minutes ago, Noel said:

So I still do not know if it's possible to improve on unlimited w/ vsync to a 30Hz screen.  Quite frankly and I'm neither blind nor inattentive, I don't see anything wrong w/ a 30Hz screen.  Mouse pointer is not blurred or choppy, VC panning is perfect, it's really the Holy Grail! 

You are strange, Noel, it has been mentioned ad nauseam on these boards that on SOME hardware systems and in SOME congested areas many people including many reputed avsim characters experienced all kind of side effects related to Unlimited frame rate so using FFTF proved to work for them to eleminate those. You may want to look up "missing autogen", "blurry textures" etc. You don't really need to be "blind" to "fathom" this fact.

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

26 minutes ago, Noel said:

Oh, I see, so vsync should be disabled.  Makes sense now I will try that next time.  Cheers

I set 1/2 vsync and TB on in NCP and Unlimited VSync Off in P3D Display Settings - frames are not limited. I go fullscreen ALT+ENTER and still frames are not limited - running free.

Meanwhile the same 1/2 vsync setup in FSX ALT+ENTER Fullscreen, frames are limited to half refresh as expected, but when I window FSX ALT+ENTER, frames are not limited.

So the conclusion must be that since P3D fullscreen is still only a window, 1/2 vsync is ignored, just like in the FSX window.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

14 minutes ago, SteveW said:

So the conclusion must be that since P3D fullscreen is still only a window, 1/2 vsync is ignored, just like in the FSX window.

same as 1/3, 1/4 etc.

So working solution in my case is: Unlimited and Vsync Off in P3D, then 30fps set in NCP for Prepar3D.exe + FFTF (AGL mode), my monitor 1440p stays at stock 60Hz. All works perfect.

And for what it matters 00.00.11.11.01.01.01.01 HT On also helps very well for the above.

Thanks.

i9-9900k @5.2 HT On custom loop, 32GB RAM @3200, RTX 2080TI

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good show Dirk!

8 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

You are strange, Noel, it has been mentioned ad nauseam on these boards that on SOME hardware systems and in SOME congested areas many people including many reputed avsim characters experienced all kind of side effects related to Unlimited frame rate so using FFTF proved to work for them to eleminate those. You may want to look up "missing autogen", "blurry textures" etc. You don't really need to be "blind" to fathom this fact.

Thanks.

I have NO BLURRIES, NO MISSING AUTOGEN, NO HEADACHES, and NO problems w/ the mouse pointer, just perfectly fluid animation w/ no stutters.  The strange part to me others have any complaints whatsoever about vsync to a 30Hz screen w/ unlimited frames.  I guess my particular hardware, and the prior 6.5 y/o hardware, happened to work perfectly w/ these settings.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

I have NO BLURRIES, NO MISSING AUTOGEN, NO HEADACHES, and NO problems w/ the mouse pointer, just perfectly fluid animation w/ no stutters.  The strange part to me others have any complaints whatsoever about vsync to a 30Hz screen w/ unlimited frames.  I guess my particular hardware, and the prior 6.5 y/o hardware, happened to work perfectly w/ these settings.

You guess it right, Noel, you and your hardware are the chosen ones, enjoy!!

Cheers,

PS: FFTF won't hurt nothing anyway and is adequately priced for those who find it helpful.

Edited by Dirk98

10 minutes ago, Noel said:

Hi Noel,

I run my P3D EXACTLY the same as you with the same excellent results. Have been since P3Dv4. Totally smooth 🙂

I have yet to try FFTF Dynamic with v5 as I am waiting for it to be on SimMarket 🙄

Edited by panner
  • Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, XMP OC | GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti 11GB | MoBo:  ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit | RAM: 32GB 3466MHz DDR4 | HD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 3TB HDD | MSFS 2020

There are many ways to achieve smoothness in the sim. One way any particular system achieves smoothness does not mean other ways do not work or work better.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, panner said:

Hi Noel,

I run my P3D EXACTLY the same as you with the same excellent results. Have been since P3Dv4. Totally smooth 🙂

I have yet to try FFTF Dynamic with v5 as I am waiting for it to be on SimMarket 🙄

Well there you go it's nice to know I'm not hallucinating totally smooth excellence.  And, on a 6.5y/o system, my old 3930K, I got the same results w/ the common denominator being a monitor capable of 30Hz, and a wired mouse, just had to keep sliders adjusted for the hardware's capabilities.  Perhaps a wireless mouse is playing a role in the mouse pointer having issues w/ lag/blurry/whatever.  Which is why I keep pushing this there is simply no downside to it in my experience.   So much time and comment here about getting rid of stutters, missing autogen, blurries--have had NONE of it for over 5y now and most of that on very inferior hardware.

I'm hoping perhaps FFTF Dynamic might play a role in attenuating the rare  to occasional long frame which I'm pretty sure is about the only place it can play a role in how I'm set up.  With one rather arbitrarily setup test flight, it may be capable of playing a role with this.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

32 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I set 1/2 vsync and TB on in NCP and Unlimited VSync Off in P3D Display Settings - frames are not limited. I go fullscreen ALT+ENTER and still frames are not limited - running free.

Meanwhile the same 1/2 vsync setup in FSX ALT+ENTER Fullscreen, frames are limited to half refresh as expected, but when I window FSX ALT+ENTER, frames are not limited.

That is strange.

These are my NVI settings:

1378642485_NVISettings.thumb.JPG.0c738b35f87b896e4e031d7a73a6b3b7.JPG

This is my NCP screen refresh rate:

2046789381_ScreenResolution.thumb.JPG.02a86b3f75383dccc6e8cfba77be829b.JPG

This is my display settings in p3d v5:

870836644_newsettings28apr.thumb.JPG.3f8b19f72b19c12bec43fad1ca65b34e.JPG

And these are the results in p3d v5 running in "fulscreen mode" (Look at the frametime straight line at 33ms and framerate at 30fps in the top left corner)2020-5-13_17-57-34-688.thumb.jpg.8a627dbb25295ba58b0187a568158186.jpg:

• Like 2

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

When the monitor is set to a low frequency to enable vsync and lower fps, that can affect the way the mouse travels around. But 30 is probably not too bad.

2 minutes ago, ttbq1 said:

These are my NVI settings:

I was using 1/2 vsync in NCP not NVI. Although NVI always produced the same result with FSX vs P3D not halving. I'll check out what the latest NVI does in a moment....

Confirmed Nvidia Profile Inspector - Sync and Refresh settings 1/2 vsync does reduce the sync rate in P3D. The setting only works in fullscreen. So it appears to work just like the older versions did with FSX when they did not work with P3D due to being only a window. NCP won't do it in the profile you need to use NVPI. It's working by masking vsync, allowing only every 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) sync to pass.

3 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Confirmed Nvidia Profile Inspector - Sync and Refresh settings 1/2 vsync does reduce the sync rate in P3D. The setting only works in fullscreen. So it appears to work just like the older versions did with FSX when they did not work with P3D due to being only a window. NCP won't do it in the profile you need to use NVPI. It's working by masking vsync, allowing only every 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) sync to pass.

Oh boy, yet one more way of limiting fps in P3D!  🙂

• Like 1

Bert

The reason it can't do it in a window is because the desktop setting has priority.