Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Tech Overload...

The tech world is turning Big Brother into Big Father, Big Husband, Big Wife, Big Boy Friend, Big Smart Kid, Big Stranger and more.  I don't have an Alexia or whatever you call it in my house.  Unless I am expecting a call I power down my iPhone in the house.  I can check calls after I power it back up.  My computers are turned off when not in use.  I'm not tech aware enough to trust these devices.

A couple months ago I had my iPhone on in it's charger in the living room while watching TV.  All of  sudden Siri responded to something that was said on the program I was watching.  I told someone who is more tech aware than I am about it and he suggested I turn the phone off when I wasn't using it.  I added our computers to that.

Noel
  • Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

We're just the opposite. Our house is like the Ren and Stimpy episode "The House of Next Tuesday". And it's great. 

I have found that when subjects like this have arisen in the past, the general attitude of those who respond, here, will be along the lines of not seeing any problems with it all. I disagree, but hey.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Our Alexa picked up a query from the TV - someone asked Alexa something :ph34r:

I ask her when the Black Helicopters are coming.. :cool: I don't think my missus switches Alexa off as she controls the smart lightbulb in our living room. :blush:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

My grandmother's reply is, ''this smart TV is stupid!'' 😄 

• Like 1

Luke Pype

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

All of  sudden Siri responded to something that was said on the program I was watching.

You can change the settings for Siri so it doesn't respond without pressing a button or unlocking the phone.

I don't care much for Alexa or Google Assistant, especially when you read about what they can, and do, hear and record, as well as the cases where they did things like mistakenly email personal info to random people in someone's address book. One big issue I see coming is buying new TVs and appliances without one or the other built in.

On the other hand, check out Youtube for the pranks one can do, or could do at least, with Cortana on the Xbox.

I recently bought a couple new TVs and had to shop to find non-smart sets.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Do you even have a microphone on the computer ?  If not, how the heck can it listen, and why turn it off  ?

I agree about the phone.  TV's don't have mikes either Noel.

Sue

8 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

TV's don't have mikes either Noel.

Oh, they most certainly do these days. Many have built in Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant support with mics in either the TV or the remote for voice control. More and more TVs are adding similar functionality too.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/tvs/smart-tv/voice-assistant-on-your-smart-tv/

https://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/technology/security/samsung-smart-tv-privacy/index.html

Edited by goates

My wife asked me why I was speaking so softly at home. I told her I was afraid Mark Zuckerberg was listening! She laughed. I laughed. Alexa laughed. Siri laughed. 😂😂😂

• Like 7

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This why I have to smile when I see people going on about MS and Windows as spyware, when the big tech company's where investigated buy the US gov they said " If we don't collect users data and habits we would not be able to give our software away for FREE" we need to sell that to make money. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

21 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

This why I have to smile when I see people going on about MS and Windows as spyware

Yup, makes me laugh when people spend half their time on facetube and twatter letting people know their every move and what they had for breakfast, and then complain about 'being watched'. 🤣

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Social Networking???  This is it along with occasional emails between myself family and some friends.  Smartphone? Wazzat?  Mine makes phone calls and the occasional text message.  I did splurge on a non-smart 52 inch hi def TV in 2006.  It still works great. Heck, I still have a landline! :blush::blush::blush::blush:

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Remember:  "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone is not following you".

29 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Social Networking???  This is it along with occasional emails between myself family and some friends.  Smartphone? Wazzat?  Mine makes phone calls and the occasional text message.  I did splurge on a non-smart 52 inch hi def TV in 2006.  It still works great. Heck, I still have a landline! :blush::blush::blush::blush:

Good for you.

(At least land lines don't drop calls, and they have decent quality "sound").

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.