Sign in to follow this  
ThrottleUp

External sounds in wingview mode. Ruins immersion.

Hi friends,

Hope you are all keeping well during these times. 

On many of my freeware airliners (like the excellent Thomas Ruth A330-200/300) Im hearing EXTERNAL engine and wind noise when I cycle to the passenger wingview. It ruins immersion for me. Its like you are sitting OUTSIDE on the wing during a Mach 0.84 cruise 🙄  Of course when I cycle back to the flight deck the sound reverts to interior mode.

Why doesnt FSX play the same internal sounds in wingview?

I then panned the camera around while in wingview and found that the camera viewpoint is located OUTSIDE the fuselage. So using the movement keys I moved back into the cabin - no luck. Its still external sounds that are playing. 

I would love to have internal sounds during wingview, the sounds we hear as passengers when we ride on jetliners. Or at the very least is there a way to tell FSX to play the same interior sounds that I hear on the flight deck? Anything I could tweak in a config file somewhere?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Nev,

FSX's views, whether internal or external, have corresponding sounds allocated to them. So, if you change your wing view viewpoint to inside the aircraft, all you're doing is changing how you view the wing and not changing the sound.  To change the sound (& I've never done it because it would be beyond my abilities), you would need to go into the Sound.cfg of your aircraft & not only find the correct internal sounds to use, but also readjust the parameters for the sound to reflect where you're located at the window.  Remembering of course, that the likely internal sound you will want will be one allocated to the cockpit, so the sound direction will also need changing.  A very difficult exercise.

Anyway, here is an AVSIM link (a solution by Brucek) on what to do, but if you proceed, ensure you back up your aircraft sound cfg.

Chris

Edited by Angels40
unnecessary word used
  • Upvote 1

Wow, that is exactly what I was after, I will back up my sound.cfg before fiddling around. 

There are some planes Ive come across where they do use internal sounds but they are on the rare side. Those excellent Russian freeware planes like AN32, AN12 etc have that feature. 

Thanks very much Chris.