Sign in to follow this  
jwadsley

GTN750 and GPS Autopilot Tracking

Bought the GTN750 a few days ago and I've noticed whenver I setup a flightplan in the system when I fly the route, every time I get to a waypoint the GTN doesn't make the turn, and the autopilot system switches off GPS guidance.

Not sure why this is happening.  I do have the G1000 installed in the planes I'm flying but not using it at all.

17 minutes ago, jwadsley said:

I do have the G1000 installed in the planes

17 minutes ago, jwadsley said:

the autopilot system switches off GPS guidance

Hi,

I believe these 2 points are telling you why. The G1000 is also a GPS and X-Plane gives it authority over any plugin GPS override.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

1 hour ago, RXP said:

Hi,

I believe these 2 points are telling you why. The G1000 is also a GPS and X-Plane gives it authority over any plugin GPS override.

That helps me absolutely zero.

Do I have to setup the GTN to be the primary GPS, or how do I get this fixed?  I can't take out the G1000 as its built into the cockpit, and I'm using the GTN in a pop up window.

How do I "turn off" the use of the G1000 gps and have the autopilot feed from the GTN?

I shouldn't have to press "NAV" every time I pass a waypoint just to keep on track with the GTN

Edited by jwadsley

It appears that by switching over Guage Settings from Auto to GPS1, the autopilot now tracks the GTN.

The magenta HSI is not correct when it makes the turn, but at least it makes the turn.

When it was in 'Auto', was it displaying (GPS1) or (GPS2) next to the 'Auto' word?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

It was displaying GPS1

Also discovering that when using the moving map to add in waypoints, or adding a waypoint to the end of a flight plan, the NAV mode must be pressed again to kep the aircraft following the magenta line.

Continuing to investigate and figure out a sequence that works

I can't figure out why this device won't integrate more seamlessly with XP11

I flew the route P20 APHIS BAKSE DINBE PKE and at every change I had to reenable NAV mode.  This should not be required.  I love this product, but the lack of basic functionality or a workaround that is widely published makes me frustrated with this product.

Further research, it appears the default C172 with the 540 GPS doesn't require anything special, I can rubber band a course on the map, add in way points in the flight plan, etc and it all works great

The C172 with the G1000 I have the exact same issues I've had in other planes with a G1000, first way point and the GPS clicks off, I have to press NAV again to get it to follow the magenta line...

The issue with the G1000 is because like I've said above, X-Plane G1000 is coded in the simulator to take FULL control of any GPS feature.

Therefore, no matter what any 3rd party plugin can try doing, X-Plane G1000 won't allow the 3rd party plugin to 'override' the simulator GPS.

There is nothing we can do, it is a limitation of X-Plane G1000.

However with any other aircraft without the XP11 G1000, everything is perfectly fine!

Having said this, when you're using a G1000 system, you shouldn't need any extra GPS because the G1000 IS a GPS system too (hence certainly the reason why they've coded their G1000 to prevent 3rd party plugins to override the GPS).

This is a workaround but this probably won't exactly fly the GTN route, especially procedure turns, but only wpt-to-wpt via direct legs.

As for getting started, the first pages of the RXP GTN Manual are the "Getting Started" chapter! 

Please understand this is a complex product Garmin wise, as well as plugin wise. There is not a single and easy 'getting started' path. Rather, many different avenues you're going through to build knowledge and get proficient in a short time. It is involving but very rewarding too!

Actually it flew the procedure turns, even in and out of a holding, just fine.

I understand that its very complex, but if its your product, I would expect customer support to know how to configure it to work properly for Xplane, not have the users do a lot of trial and error on their own

Thank you for your feedback. Your post is now 'recommended' and will help others using the forum 'Search'.

I had the exact same issue on the TBM900 from hot start. i like the G1000 but the GTN750 blows it out of the water IMO. So i try what Jwadsley suggested it it now works like a treat.

Thanks heaps Mate.

• Like 1

Hi ive been breaking my head my gtn 650 and 750 respectivally do not follow turns, or begin turns at waypoints to late or even worse goes in different directions i have tried with multiple planes

any solutions or is this a known issue\