Sign in to follow this  
shrike1978

Am I missing something?

I downloaded the demo and tried a flight with the Aerosoft CRJ Pro, and this doesn't seem to at all do what I was hoping. What I want is something that will help me actually split the workload between PF and PM, without voice commands. Basically, I want to be able to set duties for the PM that will be carried out during the checklists. Something like what happens with Aerosoft's Airbus Professional copilot function, but more customizable so the PM doesn't just do all the work for me. As it is, all this seems to do is read the checklists off to me that I already have in documents, and follow voice commands that I have to correct 4 times because it hears the word "to" as the number "2" or insists that the trim is already set at 6 when I asked for 6.7 and it's set at 8.2. And on top of that, I have less than zero interest in using voice commands, especially when they're this frustrating. I tried to go through the files and settings I could find and there doesn't seem be any mechanism for actual division of labor. So, am I missing something? Is there a way to make this do what I want it to do?

have you looked at the "voicescript" flows for your aircraft ....... & which can be tweaked to suit your SOP's with a little help from the "voxkeys" feature (as well)

when i flew the AS airbus, i preferred MCE's PNF.

for now, cheers

john martin

6 hours ago, shrike1978 said:

I downloaded the demo and tried a flight with the Aerosoft CRJ Pro, and this doesn't seem to at all do what I was hoping. What I want is something that will help me actually split the workload between PF and PM, without voice commands. Basically, I want to be able to set duties for the PM that will be carried out during the checklists. Something like what happens with Aerosoft's Airbus Professional copilot function, but more customizable so the PM doesn't just do all the work for me. As it is, all this seems to do is read the checklists off to me that I already have in documents, and follow voice commands that I have to correct 4 times because it hears the word "to" as the number "2" or insists that the trim is already set at 6 when I asked for 6.7 and it's set at 8.2. And on top of that, I have less than zero interest in using voice commands, especially when they're this frustrating. I tried to go through the files and settings I could find and there doesn't seem be any mechanism for actual division of labor. So, am I missing something? Is there a way to make this do what I want it to do?

Although not advertised at all, it is actually possible to use MCE as "button control".

Don't need a headset at all.

However, you would need to go to <command> tab in MCE user interface, click <Voxscript> and trigger one of the flows.

Voxscript is like a speech simulator. It is as if you spoke those sentences, even without headset or failing microphone.

The flows you see there can be customized.

Select one of them and click <Edit>

In next panel, choose whether flow is to be silent or vocal with option "Verbose".

Click <Edit script commands> and you will see a list of tasks FO will be performing as part of the flow.

You can then "Divide labor". I mean, remove all the things you deem your area of responsibility and keep the rest for FO to do.

Can also add new things for him to do and get him to notify you about something if you wish.

Now if you want to get back to voice control,do not use the "to" word for dialing requests such as "set speed to 250" .

Speed will be interpreted as "set speed 2250" and since it's an invalid request, Fo will want you to confirm. Could just reply "two five🙂 zero" to the prompt.

As for trim, I can't remember well as the Aerosoft CRJ was interfaced years ago.

It could have been either an oversight (trim setting task not implemented correctly), or aircraft went through an update recently and MCE needs to adjust to the changes, as there is no proper SDK for that plane.

It does work well though. Don't be put off by the insane amount of talking in the video. David likes to have all crew members very chatty, telling him all they'e doing, all the time. Switch "verbose" option off for each flow and you'll get completely silent execution.

David also prefers TTS voices, as opposed to human recorded voices we provide, for extreme flexibility. So he can get co-pilot to utter anything he wants, including non cockpit related chatter . You don't need those.

<media> 

</media>

Just in case you think that in having the developer of MCE pointing this out is a bit of a biased viewpoint (since it might seem obvious that the 'the developer would say that'), I'll add that I too would suggest using MCE. It is very customisable  with lots of options as to how you can use it, either dipping into it to hand off mundane tasks to your virtual co-pilot, or realistically sharing the workload and all points in between, with loads of ways to create all kinds of checklists and such.

There is a demo of it available to see if you get on with it before you cough up the cash, although I'm fairly sure if you try it, you'll decide having it is a no brainer. I would not be without MCE for FSX and P3D, it's one of the best and most comprehensive co-pilot add-ons you can get and offers a tremendous amount of bang for your bucks. It even makes the default ATC a lot better than it would otherwise be.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Voxscript does get me closer, but it still doesn't really do what I want it to do.  It does give the ability to do things in a sequence, but in a very "dumb" way.  I was really wanting to be able to create checklists with awareness, conditional logic, etc (ask to set a switch, detect when the switch is in the correct position, then automatically move to the next item), and do it all with button control.  As I said, I wasn't the least bit interested in voice control when I downloaded the demo, and I'm even less interested after using it.  And I think I saw on another thread that came up in a search that you've intentionally left out conditional login to not scare people off, which is ironic, because conditional logic is probably what would make me buy it.

Also, while trying to set up some voxscript for the CJR Pro (there were none whatsoever defined for the CRJ-700 Pro by default), the application was crashing frequently.  I must have used up 10 demo app launches just trying to get the safety check script set up and tweaked because the application kept crashing.  Doesn't really instill confidence when the demo version isn't even stable enough to test properly.

So, while I understand the appeal of this for some people, I don't think it's for me.  The design would force me to compromise in a way I would not be happy with, and I can't see where it improves my experience beyond paper checklists.  I do want to thank you for providing a demo version, however.

Edited by shrike1978

On 5/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, shrike1978 said:

Voxscript does get me closer, but it still doesn't really do what I want it to do.  It does give the ability to do things in a sequence, but in a very "dumb" way.  I was really wanting to be able to create checklists with awareness, conditional logic, etc (ask to set a switch, detect when the switch is in the correct position, then automatically move to the next item), and do it all with button control.  As I said, I wasn't the least bit interested in voice control when I downloaded the demo, and I'm even less interested after using it.  And I think I saw on another thread that came up in a search that you've intentionally left out conditional login to not scare people off, which is ironic, because conditional logic is probably what would make me buy it.

Also, while trying to set up some voxscript for the CJR Pro (there were none whatsoever defined for the CRJ-700 Pro by default), the application was crashing frequently.  I must have used up 10 demo app launches just trying to get the safety check script set up and tweaked because the application kept crashing.  Doesn't really instill confidence when the demo version isn't even stable enough to test properly.

So, while I understand the appeal of this for some people, I don't think it's for me.  The design would force me to compromise in a way I would not be happy with, and I can't see where it improves my experience beyond paper checklists.  I do want to thank you for providing a demo version, however.

It's perfectly OK for you not to like it, it's the whole point of the Demo after all.

Demo lasts for 3 days or 30 runs whichever expires first (not the 10 runs you mentioned).

I invite any registered user to confirm it's crashing.

What is the point of this thread other than to discourage people from even having a free go at the Demo.