Nice, this is the CPU I've been waiting for. But now I'm having doubts. Sigh. I was so set on getting this for my next build. But hearing all the negative feedback regarding how hot this CPU gets has me considering going with AMD now. I really don't know what to do anymore.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just now, captain420 said:

Nice, this is the CPU I've been waiting for. But now I'm having doubts. Sigh. I was so set on getting this for my next build. But hearing all the negative feedback regarding how hot this CPU gets has me considering going with AMD now. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Yeah i'm concerned about heat too, Im hoping I will be ok with my 240mm aio but its sure gonna run hot.  For p3d it still seems like intel with a good overclock is better than zen 2 with an overlock but with other multithreaded apps amd wins out vs the 9 series.  The 10 cores should be enough to get intel very close to amd in multithreaded performance for now.  I think zen 3 will end up taking the performance crown in all cases when it comes out though, I almost considered an x570 build for that reason.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

9 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I'm in the same boat. And I just looked at the list price here in the UK. I can pre-order it for £530. And there was me thinking I wouldn't get much change out of 500 and they have gone and whacked another 30 quid above that even. This platform is really feeling like a price gauging p**s-take at this point with the absurd cost of the motherboards and the potential cooling solutions required.

I'm feeling pretty deflated, I must say. I have been pretty loyal to intel but this is too far. I will see what the benchmarks reveal but with this pricing they may have just priced themselves out of the market for me. Bonkers. I may just wait for AMD's next offering.

Edited by Jazz

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I ordered a 360mm AIO for my next build. But as far as which CPU to go with, Intel or AMD. I'm going to hold off until they are out in the wild next week to see real world usage and case scenarios. Hopefully that will give me a better understanding on how the 10900K will perform. I'll stick with whichever CPU that will offer be better performance for flight simming for all the major titles, Prepar3D, MSFS 2020 and X-Plane.

I would be extremely mad if I decided to go with Intel only to find out that these app developers decided to make their apps run more efficient with multicores. In that case, it would be more wise to go with AMD instead. I guess it depends on the game/app/flight sim and whether or not it's optimized for single core or multi cores. But I feel that multithread is the future. Since you really can't squeeze much more juice out of a single core much for awhile now, which is why they're adding more and more cores to CPU these days.

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Check this video out guys, however I wish those that have their hands on this CPU early could benchmark the major flight sims and how it performs instead, since that's what most of us here are going to be using it for. But hopefully this will help us make a better decision somewhat until more details arrive.

Edited by captain420

14 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Check this video out guys, however I wish those that have their hands on this CPU early could benchmark the major flight sims and how it performs instead, since that's what most of us here are going to be using it for. But hopefully this will help us make a better decision somewhat until more details arrive.

That second vid is of the 10900X. It's not the the same thing as a 10900K.

Edited by Jazz

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

19 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I ordered a 360mm AIO for my next build. But as far as which CPU to go with, Intel or AMD. I'm going to hold off until they are out in the wild next week to see real world usage and case scenarios. Hopefully that will give me a better understanding on how the 10900K will perform. I'll stick with whichever CPU that will offer be better performance for flight simming for all the major titles, Prepar3D, MSFS 2020 and X-Plane.

I would be extremely mad if I decided to go with Intel only to find out that these app developers decided to make their apps run more efficient with multicores. In that case, it would be more wise to go with AMD instead. I guess it depends on the game/app/flight sim and whether or not it's optimized for single core or multi cores. But I feel that multithread is the future. Since you really can't squeeze much more juice out of a single core much for awhile now, which is why they're adding more and more cores to CPU these days.

If you are just concerned with flight sims I don't think there is any reason to believe any current zen 2 cpu will beat the 10900k, even the 9900k is faster than the 3900x in flight sim.   The 10900k isnt exactly a slouch on core/thread count either, 10c/20t isnt that far behind 12c/24t.  I think by the time 10c/20t vs 12c/24t would make any difference in flight sim these cpu's would be long out of date.  Like i said I think zen 3 will shake things up though, with a rumored 15% ipc gain over zen 2, if they can get it to clock higher I can see those cpus becoming the next flagship unless intel has something special up their sleeve with rocket lake.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

17 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Check this video out guys

Thats about what I would expect, I wonder if this video is legit though.  The 10900k shouldn't really offer an ipc gains over 9th gen, or even 7th or 8th most likely.  The only thing that is better about it is more cores and higher clocks.  

Edited by Pilot53

I'm wondering the same. Both systems running at stock with no overclock. So it's good to see what the average temps are for gaming. But I'm concerned how hot it will get when running our flight sims in OC mode. I really hope that it won't be on average of 90C and above. On my old i7-3770K OC to 4.5GHz at 1.26V, the hottest my CPU gets is 75-80C at max. I don't believe going over 80C for long periods of time is good.

16 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I'm wondering the same. Both systems running at stock with no overclock. So it's good to see what the average temps are for gaming. But I'm concerned how hot it will get when running our flight sims in OC mode. I really hope that it won't be on average of 90C and above. On my old i7-3770K OC to 4.5GHz at 1.26V, the hottest my CPU gets is 75-80C at max. I don't believe going over 80C for long periods of time is good.

This is just personal opinion, but based on my results with overclocking I simply don't worry about safe temps anymore from a safety standpoint unless I am right around the save vcore limits.  The only consideration I give to temps is their limit to my max overclock.  The cpu will throttle down when it is in danger.  Ive been running my 6600k which gets pretty hot at 1.47 volts for four years now and no hint of degradation, and volts should hurt it more than temps.  Ive got another overclocked and overvolted i750 in another pc thats been running hot for 10 years now, it degraded slightly about 5 years ago but I only had to low the clock by 100 mhz, been running great ever since.  I figure by them time I see any significant degradation I can replace the cpu for nothing since it will be old nes by then, or just upgrade my pc again.   

Edited by Pilot53
  • Upvote 1

I have a i7 8700k 4,9 ghz i do not waste my money on this new one.

I just pre-ordered it. I'm not concerned with cooling considering the custom loop I'll be running it with. 😎

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hyperfocal said:

I just pre-ordered it. I'm not concerned with cooling considering the custom loop I'll be running it with. 😎

nice, i used to do custom loops but now ive gotten lazy.  

Funny this as the Intel embargo is due to lift on the 20th he may just have word not allowed on his chips as far as Intel is concerned. This is why the testers have not released there results, Der8auer has tested but is unable to post results due to the embargo and the same with the others they were sent CPU`s, I will wait to see the full results. 

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg