Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Unreal Engine 5 Revealed!

I was watching this and thinking that MSFS 2020 is coming along none too soon: Graphics technology is advancing so rapidly, and sims were falling so far behind, that probably sometime in the fairly immediate future, the gap might have become insurmountable........

• Like 15

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Holy smoke! That is awesome!!! :)

• Like 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's (excuse the pun) unreal!

The character walking through the water wasn't great, but the dynamic lighting, texture detail and animation was just fantastic.
The colour palette was very realistic too.

We've come a long way since Tomb Raider!

Tomb-Raider-II-PS1-3.jpg

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

....... WOW.......... 

Impressive. Water still seems to be one of the trickiest mediums to represent in the game world.

However, all the fancy demos in the world amount to naught and are wasted if the gameplay is terrible.

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Impressive, 30m triangles for a statue.

Amazing

but size of file?? and cost of hardware? when? etc...

Cheers,

Pierre

22 minutes ago, ppo said:

Impressive, 30m triangles for a statue.

Amazing

but size of file?? and cost of hardware? when? etc...

Cheers,

It runs on a Playstation 5, so I assume that size and price are in an acceptable range.

When? I think near the end of 2020.

MSI Tomahawk B550, Ryzen 5800X3D, Gigabyte RTX 4070 Gaming OC, LG Ultragear 27GP850P, 32GB DDR4 RAM, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280

Jaw dropping!  Awe inspiring!

Thanks for sharing that!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

now i can add my photogrammetry just inside the engine, no matter millions of polys, i like the idea, especialy for private stuff. I allready watch my scanned 3D stuff wih the unreal engine in VR, but it needs alot editing before until its fluid in the Unreal Engine.

Edit: PS5 as far as we know is simmilar to a rtx 2080 ti today,

so yes you need a beefy computer to get this quality.

Edited by Nedo68

Great looking demo, but the demos for the next iteration of their engine have always been impressive. Really looking forward to the next gen consoles and the output they achive.

Hello,

This is truly awesome, but, XPlane11 with Vulkan, P3Dv5 withDX12, and MSFS2020 again, probably, with DX12, how is this going to be reflected in the Flight Sim platforms? By this, I mean, both Vulkan and DX12 are new engines and are unlikely, given the workload to change, I cannot see which Flight Sim is likely to adopt it. 

Am I on the right track here, or will this technology be easily adapted/incorporated into Xplane, P3D and MSS2020 as a possible upgrade down the track.

Regards

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

43 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello,

This is truly awesome, but, XPlane11 with Vulkan, P3Dv5 withDX12, and MSFS2020 again, probably, with DX12, how is this going to be reflected in the Flight Sim platforms? By this, I mean, both Vulkan and DX12 are new engines and are unlikely, given the workload to change, I cannot see which Flight Sim is likely to adopt it. 

Am I on the right track here, or will this technology be easily adapted/incorporated into Xplane, P3D and MSS2020 as a possible upgrade down the track.

Regards

Tony 

That was the point in my original post. That our existing sims may simply be two far behind to adopt these newer techniques, whereas Msfs 2020 almost certainly will eventually, if applicable.

A good example might be something as simple as shadows, which can bring our current sims to a crawl, where newer programs can layer realtime shadows on every object in sight with a negligible FPS penalty.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 hours ago, F737NG said:

We've come a long way since Tomb Raider!

And even farther from things like Pong, Frogger and Asteroids. I still remember as a kid when I got my first Atari and was happy with it and would never imagine games looking like this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

HiFlyer,

If, MSFS2020 adopts this new technology, (in lieu of DX12) what does it say about DX12 (a Microsoft product)

In my opinion, unless, this new tech is easily upgradable for Vulkan or DX12, and, if MS does go down this path, I believe, that P3D, at least, has been left to the wolves,so to speak. I say this, mainly because, I cannot believe that the new technology has been such a well kept secret in this day and age.

In essence, I cannot see MS abandoning its own product (DX12) and if this is indeed the case, where is the benefit for any existing Flight Sim platform? In other words, is this a stand alone engine or can it be integrated with Vulkan and DX12.  There does not seem to be any indication.

Have our flight sim developers missed the boat? I guess this also pre-supposes that this technology is indeed, better than both Vulkan and DX12.  I would guess that there may well be a significant FPS improvement at best, but again, this is supposition.

Any further thoughts?

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

If, MSFS2020 adopts this new technology, (in lieu of DX12) what does it say about DX12 (a Microsoft product)

Things like this spark innovation. If a desirable feature appears on any platform, that spurs other platforms to develop their own versions as alternatives. Equilibrium is restored when everyone moves that one extra step necessary to catch up.

Until somebody takes another step.......

• Upvote 1

Devons rig