Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Unreal Engine 5 Revealed!

goates,

Thanks for your reply mate.

Basically, I understood all of that. However,  I cannot see any of our current platforms getting involved in UE5 within about ten years, if ever,  particularly, given the new adoptions of Vulkan  and  DX12. Do you see this differently? 

Again, whilst UE has been around for a considerable time and been pointedly ignored by our Simming developers, why the excitement currently being generated in his forum?

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

23 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

There’s a reason for that. Most video games are played in a limited sandbox. A flight simulator is global in nature. Do you seriously think that either RDR2, GTA V or Battlefield would run on a console if either of them simulated the entire globe in a realistic fashion? Hardware is advancing to that point but we aren’t there yet.

While flights may not have been able to quite match what other games looked like, I don't think they are that unique that they couldn't have looked better. FSX was stuck with DX9 (and a partial DX10 implementation), X-Plane was stuck with OpenGL, and both were long stuck with 32 bit single threaded designs, while the rest of the world had moved on. MSFS is getting a lot of attention from outside the flight sim community because it looks great, even compared to other games. Based on your arguments, this shouldn't' be possible. I think the bigger issue was that flight sims didn't have near the development budget and resources that more popular games did, not that there was a technical limitation.

Edited by goates

4 minutes ago, goates said:

Based on your arguments, this shouldn't' be possible.

That's totally hypothetical. MSFS 2020 looks nice, but so does Aerofly FS/2. You know why? Because the former is an alpha missing a lot of the guts of a flight simulator. And the latter is missing so many features, it should be called an air travel simulator. I'm convinced that in the end, MS will make MSFS 2020 into a complete flight simulator, but that hasn't happened yet, except apparently to you.

41 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

goates,

Thanks for your reply mate.

Basically, I understood all of that. However,  I cannot see any of our current platforms getting involved in UE5 within about ten years, if ever,  particularly, given the new adoptions of Vulkan  and  DX12. Do you see this differently? 

Again, whilst UE has been around for a considerable time and been pointedly ignored by our Simming developers, why the excitement currently being generated in his forum?

Regards

Tony

Okay, let's try this a different way. I think you're getting too hung up on the idea that UE5 itself will be adopted by Asobo or Laminar research.

The point here was to show what can be done on the upcoming consoles and PC hardware. Think of it like the major airshows, such as Farnborough, Paris or Oshkosh. One aircraft manufacturer has brought out the latest and greatest prototype to show off their new technology. Maybe in this example it's the latest fighter plane. For most civilian users it isn't directly relevant, at least not in the immediate moment. However, many of the technologies that were developed for the fighter may make it into the next generation of civilian aircraft. That's what is going on here.

This UE5 demo is showing off a number of new and exciting features that other game engines will also adopt, or develop their own equivalents of. Some of these might make sense for Asobo to implement in MSFS at some point. After all, they said it was a ten year project. Many on this forum are interested in what our computers are capable of, and demos like this are great ways to see it. It isn't really any more complicated than that.

Edited by goates

goates,

OK mate, that is fine, and I will wind down my expectations as I cannot see it having any relevance to me personally, in my life time, unless Osobo take it up in the near future. That, is not something I expect either.

Thanks for your help and opinion.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

5 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

That's totally hypothetical. MSFS 2020 looks nice, but so does Aerofly FS/2. You know why? Because the former is an alpha missing a lot of the guts of a flight simulator. And the latter is missing so many features, it should be called an air travel simulator. I'm convinced that in the end, MS will make MSFS 2020 into a complete flight simulator, but that hasn't happened yet, except apparently to you.

Umm, what?? I think you're putting words in my mouth now.

FSX and X-Plane fell way behind the rest of the gaming industry. One because the team was dropped, and the other because it's a small team with fewer resources. This is why they struggled for performance, not because there is some magical barrier that says flight sims can't look better while also performing well. Asobo looks to be proving this with the new sim, though it does remain to be scene what the final product looks like.

8 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

goates,

OK mate, that is fine, and I will wind down my expectations as I cannot see it having any relevance to me personally, in my life time, unless Osobo take it up in the near future. That, is not something I expect either.

Regards

Tony

Don't give up completely. Asobo have talked about moving to DX12 and possibly adopting things like ray tracing down the road. And who knows, they may come up with something that this UE5 demo doesn't have. new hardware is always coming out, which gives developers opportunities to do things that weren't possible before. With Microsoft back in the game, the flight sim world is looking to be in great shape to benefit this time too.

goates,

I aint not yet given up lol.

I will actually accept any improvements in any flight sim (I have them all and use some more than others obviously) in my limited life time.  I am 71 years old and hope to have my last flight the day I pass on from this world. However, I specifically, cannot see any benefits from this technology in the years I have left, given that P3D and Xplane have just updated their engines (still working on them, in fact)  and MSFS2020 has yet to be released, but unlikely to include any benefits from UE5. 

When both, P3D and XPlane, have sorted out their engines I will be a very happy little vegemite, and, I figure that when MSFS 2020 is released, euphoria will surely follow. 

Nothing to give up on really. With the hopeful eventual demise of Covid19, can life get any better for a simmer in the short term?

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

4 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

and MSFS2020 has yet to be released, but unlikely to include any benefits from UE5.

Just remember the idea isn't that Asobo, Laminar or Lockheed would directly use code from UE5, but that they may develop similar features themselves using their own code. UE5 simply shows one way to do things, and are one of the first to show off what is coming. Other developers, including Asobo, will be looking to do new things with the upcoming new hardware as well. And it may not take that long to see some of the new features pop up elsewhere.

Life is certainly looking better for flight simming!

You can keep the vegemite though...

On 5/19/2020 at 6:47 PM, himmelhorse said:

goates,

Regards

Tony

Updated graphics capabilities are appearing everywhere on a regular basis, Unreal engine being just one example.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 5/20/2020 at 12:03 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

There’s a reason for that. Most video games are played in a limited sandbox. A flight simulator is global in nature. Do you seriously think that either RDR2, GTA V or Battlefield would run on a console if either of them simulated the entire globe in a realistic fashion? Hardware is advancing to that point but we aren’t there yet.

Do you seriously believe that flight simulators actually draws the whole world and simulate it entirely while you fly? 

• Like 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 minute ago, Pastaiolo said:

Do you seriously believe that flight simulators actually draws the whole world and simulate it entirely while you fly? 

It's an old talking point that has never gone away.

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It's not that a flightsim has to draw the whole globe every frame, but it has to maintain a database of scenery, mesh, navaids, flightplans and SimObjects that allows the sim to load and unload items  as the user's reality bubble shifts. I don't have anywhere near the full amount of AIG and MAIW AI aircraft installed and that alone accounts for 8,000+ texture sets. Each set consists of multiple texture files which just recently expanded by the addition of PBR textures.

By your logic, there's no limitation for any video game to simulate the whole world. Try wandering off a map in your favorite game. Some games warn you of imminent death. Others let you roam a world devoid of detail. I'm sure that Asobo, LM and LR could do the same and jack up performance to everyone's liking. BTW, DCS World is map based.

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

By your logic, there's no limitation for any video game to simulate the whole world. Try wandering off a map in your favorite game. Some games warn you of imminent death. Others let you roam a world devoid of detail. I'm sure that Asobo, LM and LR could do the same and jack up performance to everyone's liking. BTW, DCS World is map based.

Quite the opposite actually. The logic is that no game can render a whole earth with all its data at the same time, in detail on all its surface. P3D surely doesn't, MSFS won't, none of the games do unless there is less data to load (and that's where we meet things like Outerra or Star Citizen for example).

That's the same reason of why LODs exist for objects too, so that far away objects are less detailed and don't kill performance.

Edited by Pastaiolo

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

It's funny that you should focus on LODs for objects, since the trend has been to reduce the number of LODs. In FSX many of the AI aircraft had 5 or more LODs, but as screen resolutions increased in P3d, developers realized that loading and unloading that many LODs was less efficient than having just 2 LODs.

Just let me know when a mainstream video game simulates the whole earth. It will eventually happen, but not soon.