Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Unreal Engine 5 Revealed!

12 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

It's funny that you should focus on LODs for objects, since the trend has been to reduce the number of LODs. In FSX many of the AI aircraft had 5 or more LODs, but as screen resolutions increased in P3d, developers realized that loading and unloading that many LODs was less efficient than having just 2 LODs.

Just let me know when a mainstream video game simulates the whole earth. It will eventually happen, but not soon.

I find it extremely funny to take as an example of a trend P3D, considering how there is nothing trending feature wise about P3D and its features, just things that have been in different measure already present on other games.

My point however, which i am not sure if i explained properly or not, is that currently there are no simulators nor games simulating the whole earth. Being able to fly over the whole earth doesn't mean that at every point the whole earth is simulated. So the famous claims about P3D we heard in the past on the line of "yeah you get only 30 fps but it's because it simulates the whole globe" are bull. What actually happens, and this is a similarity between P3D and any other 3d application, is that only a minor part is drawn, specifically the part around the player. How far this extends now of course depends from game to game, but it does not cover the whole globe, obviously.

Hope you understood now what i meant.

Edited by Pastaiolo

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Stop confusing the term rendering with simulating. Again, if it was so easy to simulate the whole globe, every game would do it. Most video games are limited fantasy lands. Flight simulators are virtual realities.

• Like 1