Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

ORBX PNW - my problem child

I've never had a CTD of any kind with v4.5. I have all the ORBX scenery loaded and no other add-ons except the A2A 172. So...I moved ALL the sliders full-right and took off from KSEA. I flew around the Seattle area for 20 minutes with no issues (except the framerate - which sucked 😊). Next I'm going to try S43 as I don't remember ever flying out of there.....Doug

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

4 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I've never had a CTD of any kind with v4.5. I have all the ORBX scenery loaded and no other add-ons except the A2A 172. So...I moved ALL the sliders full-right and took off from KSEA. I flew around the Seattle area for 20 minutes with no issues (except the framerate - which sucked 😊). Maximum RAM used was  12.1 and the maximum VRAM used was 3.9. Next I'm going to try S43 as I don't remember ever flying out of there.....Doug

You're flying now in 4.5 or 5.0?  With 4.5 I did not experience CTDs in ORBX PNW. But now with v5 ... I get them quite frequently. As you say, framerate is a different story.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, Reader said:

Could it be just for those in the "fastlane", or is that you as well?

Yes, fastlane is active. There was an objectflow update, but a week or more ago, if I remember correctly.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

9 minutes ago, Nemo said:

You're flying now in 4.5 or 5.0?  With 4.5 I did not experience CTDs in ORBX PNW. But now with v5 ... I get them quite frequently. As you say, framerate is a different story.

My bad. I missed the 5.0 part. But I did enjoy the flight 😊.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

. Next I'm going to try S43 as I don't remember ever flying out of there.....Doug

First Air (a few miles to the east) and Harvey Field are must have airports by ORBX they have trains and hot air balloons lots of great exploring.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I did another flight last night around the seattle area for about an hour w/DD seattle, ORBX NW region, all settings maxed except loading distance was medium or high which was probably equal to max on v4. Still no crash yet. HOWEVER I have NOT installed any of the smaller airports in V5 yet, so they may be the culprit to the crashes people are seeing. I will install S43 (Harvey Field) tonight and see if I can get it to crash as several folks on here have mentioned that as a CTD area.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

5 hours ago, Nemo said:

Just another CTD. This time at ORBX KTIW (Tacoma Narrows) approach. Maybe it was coincidence, but it happened exactly when I changed the radius in the F1GTN 750. Sim was at 6.8 GB vRAM (from 10.0). Sometimes it appears to me that if I interact with aircraft gauges and a so-called long frame happens at the very same time I get a CTD.  

There must be something strange with the way v5 and DX12 are interacting with regard to gauges and open windows - P3D is a borderless windowed app (not true full screen), so it could be that the way memory is being managed for different windows or views is not quite optimized.  But I can almost always trace my driver hangs to when a popup gauge is open (like GPS or a MFD or something) or there is some other window in use (the ATC window bug that HF1 seemed to fix was perhaps an extreme case of the same thing?).

I am not daring to open 2D popups to access gauges at the moment; I am using Chaseplane to give me closeups in the VC of the GTN or whatever when I want to use them, just so I don't accidentally trip something up. Certainly keeping any background apps in Windows to a minimum. My shift-z VRAM in the sim always looks OK, but I suppose that only accounts for the current view?

(I'm just brainstorming here...  I am not wanting to spend much time troubleshooting, I would like to just fly.  The engineer in me gets sucked into it anyway though.)

Edited by PurdueKev
  • Like 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

1 hour ago, TurboKen said:

I did another flight last night around the seattle area for about an hour w/DD seattle, ORBX NW region, all settings maxed except loading distance was medium or high which was probably equal to max on v4. Still no crash yet. HOWEVER I have NOT installed any of the smaller airports in V5 yet, so they may be the culprit to the crashes people are seeing. I will install S43 (Harvey Field) tonight and see if I can get it to crash as several folks on here have mentioned that as a CTD area.

Just to add my personal story... after installing V5, I found that I could not fly in the Seattle area without CTDs.. HF1 did not solve the problem. 

What I finally figured out, was that the Victoria+ scenery which I confidently moved over from my V4.5. install caused all the problems..  Once I disabled it, I could fly just fine around KSEA and the surrounding airports.  I have Orbx PNW, KORS, and the freeware FTX airports for the area installed.   So, a single scenery package can create havoc quite a distance from "home" when combined with other high detailed sceneries..

Bert

Started a flight from KSEA to CYVR, and I just had the VCRUNTIME error about halfway there in the Realair Turbine Duke (yes know, not v5 compatible) and the faulting module was the F1 GTN.  I am going to try the same flight with the RealityXP unit in its place, since I have been having success with the RealityXP GTN in the Bonanza.

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

8 hours ago, TurboKen said:

First Air (a few miles to the east) and Harvey Field are must have airports by ORBX they have trains and hot air balloons lots of great exploring.

Thanks. I've put them on my list of things to do over the weekend...............

guys for you have CTD - do you have Dynamic streaming on?  Without that Texture management goes crazy with video cards.  

I have been aggressively flying PNW area with heavy addons like PMDG (see my other threads with pretty pics) - no crashes here.  Rock solid

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

56 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

guys for you have CTD - do you have Dynamic streaming on?  Without that Texture management goes crazy with video cards.  

I have been aggressively flying PNW area with heavy addons like PMDG (see my other threads with pretty pics) - no crashes here.  Rock solid

Yes, I have Dynamic Texture Streaming On.  My VRAM is pretty consistently less than 5.5 in all these flights.

Just tried to repeat my flight from KSEA to CYVR that crashed with the F1 GTN, this time with the RealityXp GTN in its place. No crash or errors this time - I even had SimToolKitPro open in the background.  At least in some cases I am now wondering if the F1 GTN may have some instability with this build or at least withmy combination of add-ons - I seem to not have any crashes with the RXP GTN installed.

Edited by PurdueKev

- Kevin

3 minutes ago, PurdueKev said:

Yes, I have Dynamic Texture Streaming On.  My VRAM is pretty consistently less than 5.5 in all these flights.

Just tried to repeat my flight from KSEA to CYVR that crashed with the F1 GTN, this time with the RealityXp GTN in its place. No crash or errors this time - I even had SimToolKitPro open in the background.  At least in some cases I am now wondering if the F1 GTN may have some instability with this build or at least withmy combination of add-ons - I seem to not have any crashes with the RXP GTN installed.

I do not have have my f1 or realityxp units installed at the time being. 

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

1 hour ago, Skywolf said:

I do not have have my f1 or realityxp units installed at the time being. 

Well, I just had a visualfx.dll crash with the new Flight Replicas Super Cub just north of Anacortes - that's a pretty simple aircraft and they just did it native to v5, so I suppose its possible there is a bad visual effect with that add-on but I doubt it.  It was the same phenomenon - sim starts stuttering like crazy and then crashes.  The common denominator seems to be something Orbx-related. I may uninstall PNW just to see if I still get the issues, or maybe just all of the add-on airports in the area one-by-one.  It's like there is a Bermuda Triangle between Paine and Orcas.

Edited by PurdueKev

- Kevin

On 5/14/2020 at 7:42 AM, TurboKen said:

Just to update this.. I installed Harvey Field and First Air, had my daughter fly around the airports and chase hot air balloons, she's 7 and after 3 attempts performed a great landing, her first time flying ever. (A proud dad). Back on topic, then I flew around Everett and then Seattle and finally landed at Seatac. Maybe just over an hour flight, same flight no restarts. And NO CTD. With very high settings.