Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Ground Textures Blurry Including When Stationary

Hi everyone, one thing I've noticed is that my ground textures are very blurry.  This isn't the usual textures not loading due to high speed flying (I don't think), it seems to happen all the time even with the aircraft stationary.  This happens both at ORBX fields, regions, and outside regions (I do use ORBX Global textures).  I didn't have this issue in v4.

g4kLoi4.jpg

oWJs8fm.jpg

d9nQHBv.jpg

QmCAHci.jpg

I tried to take a screenshot of my settings but it didn't seem to work.  However I have high resolution ground textures enabled, and am running at 4096x4096 texture resolution.  I don't want to paste my entire Prepar3d.cfg here and take up a bunch of space, but here are a few of the sections that I assume are most relevant.

[GRAPHICS]
SCREEN_CAPTURE_MAX_JOBS=10
VIDEO_CAPTURE_WIDTH=720
VIDEO_CAPTURE_HEIGHT=480
VIDEO_CAPTURE_FPS=30
VIDEO_CAPTURE_BIT_RATE=3200000
VIDEO_CAPTURE_IS_THREADED=True
VIDEO_CAPTURE_INFO_SEND_RATE=20
VIDEO_CAPTURE_MAX_FRAME_SIZE=500000
VIDEO_CAPTURE_TTL=255
MAX_POINT_LIGHTS=250
MAX_SPOT_LIGHTS=250
RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS=2.000000
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=1000.000000
HDR_BRIGHTNESS=1.000000
HDR_BLOOM_THRESHOLD=10.500000
HDR_BLOOM_MAGNITUDE=1.000000
HDR_BLOOM_BLUR_SIGMA=0.800000
EXPOSURE_KEY=0.180000
DAY_MAX_EXPOSURE=2.500000
NIGHT_MAX_EXPOSURE=2.500000
HDR_SATURATION=1.000000
ADAPTATION_RATE_SCALAR=0.050000
GRAPHICS_TIMER_CAPTURE=False
REFLECTION_PROBE_DELAY=20
ViewGroupWindowBorders=0
ViewGroup_Number=-1
MAP_DRAW_THREADED=1
MIPMAP_VC_PANELS=0
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
DynamicTextureStreaming=0
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
DYNAMIC_LIGHTING=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
LENSFLARE=1
HDR=1
DYNAMIC_REFLECTIONS=0
SHADOW_QUALITY=2
SHADOW_DRAW_DISTANCE=3
CONTENT_NO_SHADOW=0
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_CAST=0
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_CAST=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_CAST=0
BUILDING_SHADOWS_CAST=0
CLOUD_SHADOWS_CAST=1
PARTICLES_SHADOWS_CAST=0
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
BUILDING_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_LOW=4
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_MID=5
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_HIGH=7
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_ULTRA=12
OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048
TRANSLUCENT_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512
OPAQUE_SHADOW_DRAW_DISTANCE=2000
TRANSLUCENT_SHADOW_DRAW_DISTANCE=2000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_LOW=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_MID=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_HIGH=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_ULTRA=0.850000
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
EFFECTS_DISTANCE=2
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
DYNAMIC_INTERIOR_CAPTURE=False

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
TESSELLATION_FACTOR=90
MESH_RESOLUTION=22
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=26
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=3
AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=3
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1
WATER_REFLECT_CLOUDS=1
WATER_REFLECT_USERAIRCRAFT=1
WATER_REFLECT_SIMOBJECTS=0
WATER_REFLECT_TERRAIN=0
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION=0
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS=0
WATER_REFRACT_CLOUDS=0
WATER_REFRACT_USERAIRCRAFT=0
WATER_REFRACT_SIMOBJECTS=0
WATER_REFRACT_TERRAIN=0
WATER_REFRACT_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION=0
WATER_REFRACT_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS=0
ENABLE_BATHYMETRY=0
WATER_CLARITY=30
WATER_DETAIL=4
UseGlobalTerrainView=False

Any thoughts?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Do you have the latest version of ORBX Object Flow installed? If not, that can cause blurry

ground textures.

There may be several reasons, but here's an exotic case of non-speed related blurries I incured once and how I remedied them:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/550614-blurries-under-prepar3d4-and-how-i-got-rid-of-them/

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

i too feel like i've had this problem the last couple weeks without finding out why.  I'll have to check these out.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Had that problem as well with a few airports with v5, like LOWI, where I could move the camera and then the sharp texture would suddenly appear, move camera gain and it would go low-res. Think it's a compatibility issue somewhere, the actual texture on-top seems to stop rendering and you only get the ortho underneath with a few signs and arrows on top. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone

20 hours ago, Caveney737 said:

Do you have the latest version of ORBX Object Flow installed? If not, that can cause blurry ground textures.

Yes and I reinstalled just to be sure.

20 hours ago, pmb said:

There may be several reasons, but here's an exotic case of non-speed related blurries I incured once and how I remedied them:

Thanks, I did try restoring both the application-specific and global nvidia settings to default but it didn't fix the issue.

20 hours ago, Sethos said:

Had that problem as well with a few airports with v5, like LOWI, where I could move the camera and then the sharp texture would suddenly appear, move camera gain and it would go low-res. Think it's a compatibility issue somewhere, the actual texture on-top seems to stop rendering and you only get the ortho underneath with a few signs and arrows on top. 

Interesting, I'm not having the sharp textures ever appear, but it does seem like the expected sharp texture just isn't loading.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Hi, Please try these in the [DISPLAY] section

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=180
TextureMaxLoad=30

TextureMaxLoad you will need to add, it's not there by default. Works for me 🙂

Edited by djbully
Sausage Fingers

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

Thanks, I gave that a shot and didn't notice a difference on my setup.

I'll note that the issue shown in the first two pictures is largely fixed now - I reinstalled ORBX PNW and the airport (KSFF), however the general issue of low resolution ground textures remains.  The kicker is that I tried loading up P3Dv4 to see what that looked like and the ground textures were similarly low resolution.  This leads me to believe there's one of two things going on:

- I have a more central system issue causing this that is impacting both sims.

- I'm losing it (quite possible) and the textures are actually normal for P3D.  I really don't remember them being this blurry though.

I do have the latest Nvidia drivers installed.  I also have a new GPU arriving tomorrow (RTX 2080ti) so who knows, maybe that will help somehow.

Dave

1 minute ago, regis9 said:

Thanks, I gave that a shot and didn't notice a difference on my setup.

I'll note that the issue shown in the first two pictures is largely fixed now - I reinstalled ORBX PNW and the airport (KSFF), however the general issue of low resolution ground textures remains.  The kicker is that I tried loading up P3Dv4 to see what that looked like and the ground textures were similarly low resolution.  This leads me to believe there's one of two things going on:

- I have a more central system issue causing this that is impacting both sims.

- I'm losing it (quite possible) and the textures are actually normal for P3D.  I really don't remember them being this blurry though.

I do have the latest Nvidia drivers installed.  I also have a new GPU arriving tomorrow (RTX 2080ti) so who knows, maybe that will help somehow.

you are not alone.  I agree with all your points and have done the same things you have.  V4 also effected.  There was no radical moment when I realized something was wrong.  It was just a gradual thing I noticed.  I can't imagine it's always been this way.  I'll be following this thread.  I suspect more are affected and haven't noticed yet.  Or simply following this thread silently.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

10 minutes ago, micstatic said:

you are not alone.  I agree with all your points and have done the same things you have.  V4 also effected.  There was no radical moment when I realized something was wrong.  It was just a gradual thing I noticed.  I can't imagine it's always been this way.  I'll be following this thread.  I suspect more are affected and haven't noticed yet.  Or simply following this thread silently.  

Time to go to the Optometrist?  :unsure:

• Like 1

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Time to go to the Optometrist?  :unsure:

😄 

in my case I can see the monitor fine, but as I approach 40 reading charts on my iPad gets harder and harder.  🙂

Dave

I got fed up with blurry textures, configuration entries and setting changes.  I was so disappointed I decided to un-install and delete everything off my system related to P3D V5 - deleted every file and folder, cleaned the registry, rebooted and cleaned it again. Hours and hours later after re-installing the sim, Orbx, ActiveSky, Ezdock, A2A aircraft, Orbx Trees HD & HD buildings etc, I have the best looking P3D I have ever seen. Sharp textures out to the horizon and smooth performance. I flew around for hours so excited at the amazing view.

The settings are EXACTLY the same as before, apart from shadow distance low and no reflections in the water. Autogen is extremely dense.  NO additional CFG file entries at all.

Maybe time for you to do the same because finding that one little thing causing the blurries is so frustrating.

My system is an Asus Zephryus GX501K gaming laptop.  The CPU is just 2.8GHz with a Nvidia 8Gb GTX 1080 Max Q graphics card.  The laptop has 16Gb Ram.  P3D and addons are on a 4TB SSD drive.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Hi, 

I have the problem too, i didn't notice it before but now that i see it i can't get it out of my mind, 

I did a fresh clean install of v5 ( dont have v4 anymore) everything is perfect except those blurry ground

I did not tweaked anything in the .CFG, just installed v5, orbx and active sky,

here's an exemple at EDCG from orbx 

My sliders are almost all to the max and no water what i change there i can't see any difference

200515051957360260.jpg

Edited by dyl55

I had severe blurry textures in the air.  The one thing that seemed to fix it was to go to nvidia control panel and reset the configuration...maybe?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

9 minutes ago, bic said:

I had severe blurry textures in the air.  The one thing that seemed to fix it was to go to nvidia control panel and reset the configuration...maybe?

I'll try but I never touched this so don t think it will change something, lets hope
🙂

Edited by dyl55