Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

P3DV5, one month in..

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

There will always be another fix around the corner... that is how we ended up with V4.5. HF3 🙂

If you are impatient... I would ask: What exactly are you waiting for?

Hi Bert,

Fair question and the answer lies in the reply above - Just too many reports about CTD and other issues.

At the moment I've just done a complete reinstall of Windows 10 after some hardware upgrades so I'd prefer to install a more reliable version of Prepar3d V5 to act as a "base" before I launch into reinstalling all manner of addons - some of which people report crashes with V5. Yes I know you can always just insttall the next hotfix or .X release over the top when its released without too many issues, but perhaps it's my inner OCD that would just rather start with a version that has fewer known  (or evident) issues in it.

But I am impatient - hence why I was curious about when this next hotfix or .X release might arrive 🙂

Cheers,

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

I understand, but there are always people with ctds

One more hotfix is not going to change that..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

True - But I'd suggest it's been a while since we've seen this many people experiencing this amount of problems. In any event, I'll hold off a little longer and see if another HF corrects some of the apparent problems.

Cheers,

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

10 hours ago, Quasimodo said:

Then out of nowhere I start getting a CTD's nearly every flight mostly on the run up to take off but sometimes in the air. I then discovered that I could reproduce this CTD in more or less the exact same spot on approach to ORBX CYSE. I think it Orbx tree's HD but I'm not sure.

Same here.
Same spot and crash.
Uninstalling ORBX trees doesn't help.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

One month in...and today....no computer...but going out ALL DAY,  on my big V-Twin...!!! 🙂

"...vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!"

Have a great day, y'all..., time for some vitamin D and wind therapy...

Screw Covid-19!

Ses

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Roch said:

Same here.
Same spot and crash.
Uninstalling ORBX trees doesn't help.

I flew from CYVR to CYSE.

A2A C172, FSDT CYVR, ORBX PNW, ORBX CYSE, ORBX Global, OpenLC NA, TreesHD, Library's, ObjectFlow. ASP3D

Got a CTD on final flying over Squamish. I unchecked everything in addons and completed the flight successfully. It was ugly though.

I flew the scenario again between each addon being reactivated in this order with no CTD. C172, Global, openLC, PNW, CYSE, CYVR, library's, Object flow.

Then after activating TreesHD I go the CTD in the same spot. I though Bingo that's it. But then I deactivated TreesHD and flew again to confirm but got the CTD again.

It was looking great there for a while but I have no interest in being a beta tester so that's enough for me for now. I suppose it will be stable in a few months.

I hate to say it but my gut feeling is the there are hundreds or even thousands of conflicts with ORBX scenery because I had scenario error reporting on and ORBX was coming up in it numerous time.

I'm going to give XP11 some love until then!😁

How tragic is this:

Edited by Quasimodo

On 5/14/2020 at 4:49 PM, Bert Pieke said:

And.. since I always get asked this, these are my current settings:

Graphics: FXAA=off, AA=4XSSAA. Ani=8x, TexRes=2048, Vsync=off, fps=Unlimited
    LOD=High,TessFac=High,Mesh=5m,TexRes=1m, UseHighResTex,
    Scene Comp=ExtremelyDense, AutoGen=High,Veg=Normal,BLg=Dense,DynamicVeg=off
     Water Detail=Medium, no Bath, no reflections
     SpecEff=Medium
     HDR=On (0.85/0.05/0.97), DynRef=off, LandLights=on
     Shadow qual = High, Shadow Draw Dist = Low, Casting+Rec = both for Internal and External
      Enh Atmospherics=on,  Cloud Res=Medium,  Weather: Clear Skies. 

I was starting to get a bit frustrated with trying to find a nice settings level for v5, and I decided to give yours a go, Bert. I have a 8700k and 1080, both stock. Basically all of your settings are lower than mine were, some much lower, and I just assumed that lower meant worse (specifically in terms of visuals). Well I was wrong. I did some flying with your settings, and had really solid framerates in the mid-30s and very smooth (where I was in the low 20s with some stutters before). The one thing I upped was cloud resolution, to Ultra. Got really good results.

I guess I just don't really know what to prioritize and what does what. Right now I have VRAM usage of about 3.7/7.1 and framerates in the mid-30s. So obviously VRAM is underutilized. I am much happier with what I'm seeing now with the framerates and the smoothness, but I guess my question is, what can I do to take more advantage of my VRAM capacity without killing my framerates?

Thanks for posting this, Bert, it really helped me.

Edited by mtr75

23 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Correction to my P3DV5 Settings:

fps set to 120 in P3d (instead of Unlimited), and limited to 29 in nvidia NCP actually is a better combination.

What does this do, if I may ask?

7 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

I was starting to get a bit frustrated with trying to find a nice settings level for v5, and I decided to give yours a go, Bert. I have a 8700k and 1080, both stock. Basically all of your settings are lower than mine were, some much lower, and I just assumed that lower meant worse (specifically in terms of visuals). Well I was wrong. I did some flying with your settings, and had really solid framerates in the mid-30s and very smooth (where I was in the low 20s with some stutters before). The one thing I upped was cloud resolution, to Ultra. Got really good results.

I guess I just don't really know what to prioritize and what does what. Right now I have VRAM usage of about 3.7/7.1 and framerates in the mid-30s. So obviously VRAM is underutilized. I am much happier with what I'm seeing now with the framerates and the smoothness, but I guess my question is, what can I do to take more advantage of my VRAM capacity without killing my framerates?

Thanks for posting this, Bert, it really helped me.

Happy you like it!   Personally, I see no merit in "taking more advantage of my VRAM capacity"...  It is like loading up your car.. just because there is still room in the trunk, does not mean you need to add another suitcase.. 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Happy you like it!   Personally, I see no merit in "taking more advantage of my VRAM capacity"...  It is like loading up your car.. just because there is still room in the trunk, does not mean you need to add another suitcase.. 🙂

Fair enough! I guess it's time to put in some cross-country time and see how I feel about it.

2 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

What does this do, if I may ask?

Locking fps in P3D below unlimited appears to cause P3D to use the FFTF setting.. have a look at the FFTF Dynamic discussion..

Bert

The only crashes to desktop I've seen in P5D all happened when I had the Active Sky Beta running without Enhanced Atmospherics.

The sim has been rock-solid and smooth for me when I have Enhanced Atmospherics enabled.

I am usually all over new releases like v5, I just can’t stop myself, but I am holding back on my urge until I start seeing more positive reports on v5. I am watching this forum very closely. I have even reserved space on my ssd drive for when I decide to pull the trigger.  I know v5 will get there and I fully intend to upgrade at some point, but I have no problem sticking with 4.5 for the time being. I have even surprised myself with my display of patience. And I do wish everyone well with their setups for v5.

• Like 1

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

13 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Locking fps in P3D below unlimited appears to cause P3D to use the FFTF setting.. have a look at the FFTF Dynamic discussion..

Will do!

25 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

I am usually all over new releases like v5, I just can’t stop myself, but I am holding back on my urge until I start seeing more positive reports on v5. I am watching this forum very closely. I have even reserved space on my ssd drive for when I decide to pull the trigger.  I know v5 will get there and I fully intend to upgrade at some point, but I have no problem sticking with 4.5 for the time being. I have even surprised myself with my display of patience. And I do wish everyone well with their setups for v5.

Agreed. There isn't enough in this release to cause me to move to this version and have to endure more of the time, pain and suffering of reinstalling and updating and general messing around.

• Like 2

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3