Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

May 14th, 2020 - Development Update

2 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Really?

There are no watermarks on those screenshots with the undulations. They have been taken by Asobo (not Alpha testers). 

I'd say undulations (for generic airports) have only been added in the latest build, otherwise we would have seen at least one undulating runway in all the screenshots previously posted by alpha testers and Asobo.

I saw undulated runway earlier, in the FsElite video for exemple, at 26:10 you can se that runway 34R of KSEA airport is undulated. 

Also in the discovery episode 6 you can see at 8:07 that the airport apron is undulated. 

4 hours ago, badderjet said:

Now isn't this forum funny. People whine about the length of grass blades, and once someone makes a substantial and sound comment about something actually aviation related, he shall "get some perspective". No comment. But great that you finally got your undulations, even where there are none irl. Last time I checked Madeira, it didn't look that way. But before someone jumps on that, yes I am glad we have sloped runways, a feature that actual FFSs also have nowadays. Yet I wonder what their data source is. I can't comment on the other places they showed but they certainly seem to be extreme examples. More on topic, I fail to see what's so bad about pointing out the runway markings are wrong. If you had followed the Airport episode, you would know they place a ton of features according to Bing imagery. Since FNC seems to have quite decent satellite data, it's questionable why the markings are off in the first place. The feature to have the numbers right on the threshold marking was already existent in FSX.

About the argument I had with the two people you quoted. The second person you quoted after mine, Carts85, we cleared everything up so there's no reason for him to be included. Sure I wish I communicated better on my original post, but at the same time, I still think the response from the first person (quoted after me) was uncalled for as I never said Asobo made Madeira looked bad. I only thought some details don't match up with both how I remember and from photos and charts. There's a difference between saying something is off and something is done badly. I'd understand if I said something like "offensive initials not allowed are you doing Asobo, you messed up the runway threshold! You're the worst!", but I would never say something that unconstructive in that tone ever to Asobo because other than the fact that wouldn't help anyone, I recognize that although the runway didn't look right, they got the other parts right, and that's fine. In fact, this is already a million times better than FSX. I just want them to make some more improvements, that's all. The change log for this update mentioned surface types on runways, so I know Asobo can improve the threshold and the color of the beginning parts of the runway if they wanted.

4 hours ago, badderjet said:

You are correct. Plus there are not these elevated approach light posts in front of the threshold.

Funny enough, I did notice the approach lights before the runway (I assume that's what you're referring to, if not I apologize), but decided not to mention it in the original post because I only felt like mentioning three notable discrepancies with LPMA at the time, the threshold and beginning runway colors (they go together to me), the runway over undulating, and some of the trees surrounding the airport.

• Like 1

Júnior Silva

Just read that the new alpha is 45% larger than the last, about 116 GB.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Have they ever said anything about how future updates will be delivered? Considering the size of the new Alpha and that it may get even bigger with the beta when everything is included for release I wouldn't want to have to download it all over again when a new version is released. Perhaps I'm just too used to re-downloading P3D with every new major version.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Just read that the new alpha is 45% larger than the last, about 116 GB.

That will most likely keep me from participating even if invited. I really hope they find a way to deliver it, because 116 GB download is unsustainable. 

20 minutes ago, KenG said:

That will most likely keep me from participating even if invited. I really hope they find a way to deliver it, because 116 GB download is unsustainable. 

Aren't most big games that big now? How do you think you'll play the game when released? 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Aren't most big games that big now? How do you think you'll play the game when released? 

Depends on what you play. Last brand new big game I downloaded was 50GB. So this is more than double.

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

Have they ever said anything about how future updates will be delivered? Considering the size of the new Alpha and that it may get even bigger with the beta when everything is included for release I wouldn't want to have to download it all over again when a new version is released. Perhaps I'm just too used to re-downloading P3D with every new major version.

According to a notice on the official forums, those who are on version 1.2.5.0 or newer can just update to the latest build, but those on older versions will have to fully reinstall the Alpha. But I think that the final version will have a smarter delivery system so that patches can be small and frequent, similar to most AAA games. This was the case with the Flight Simulator X service packs and expansion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KenG said:

Unfortunatelly, for whole world in presented quality you must accept, that you will need download very big data. Other way isn't real for distribution.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, KenG said:

Depends on what you play. Last brand new big game I downloaded was 50GB. So this is more than double.

Well of course it does. Some games are only 5GB. The majority of big games like Fifa, COD, GTA, Battlefield and similar are close to if not over 100GB. That's been normal for ages. I'm not sure why you would think it would be any different for a game such as MSFS. Especially considering the specs state you need 150GB of space available. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KenG said:

How would you want it delivered, then? A flash-drive? Would you really want 15 Dual-Layer DVD's ? (reminds me of the time, I bought a chess-game on 30 FloppyDisks... *sigh*)

To be honest, I think you need to calibrate your expectations... As games get bigger and bigger, delivery on physical mediums is getting less and less feasible. 

• Like 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Modern warfare was 180gb download, most modern games seem to be in and around that these days

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot_zps560238d1.jpg

44 minutes ago, anden145 said:

Would you really want 15 Dual-Layer DVD's ?

One or two Blu-ray discs would work, though you then run into the issue of how people actually have a Blu-ray drive in their computer these days.

• Upvote 2

I'm surprised size is even an issue given hard drive sizes & fiber optic internet becoming more & more common, unless you live in a country with low bandwith and/or data caps, if so then I truly feel sorry for you.

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

I've been hoping we can order it pre-installed on a physical drive. 😄 

If Microsoft doesn't offer this as an option, maybe a third party will.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;