Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

May 14th, 2020 - Development Update

On 5/19/2020 at 3:59 AM, adino said:

This mean that finally we will have the runways textured similar to their corresponding Bing aerial texture, WoW! is that what they meant? So never again all runways will looks the same OMG😀

Yeah, as said before I’m like 100% sure this is NOT what they meant. Even in more current footage, look at the KORD video, the runways are more than off. Even at such a major hub with good satellite image coverage. The runway material is off, the skidmarks are almost completely absent. For such heavily used runways, the opposite should be true. I’ve never seen convincing skid marks in any sim yet, maybe excluding hand made custom airports with satellite runway textures.

Usually there will be heavy and widely spread out rubber deposit along the entire TDZ, with a bit less wide rubber area along the entire centerline, hiding quite some of the runway markings like the centerline.

Also you will often see rubber marks at sharper entry taxiways (even only 90°), where aircraft usually make tight turns to align themselves for takeoff. The nosewheels tend to skid a bit and leave those markings.

I think these visual features are extremely prominent irl and would add an enormous amount of real life airport feeling to the sim in general. Which I think should be of utmost importance in a FLIGHT sim.

On a quite related side note, they mentioned quite early they’d recreate the whole ground friction model. Irl the friction will be significantly reduced on the rubber deposits especially on wet runways. I wonder how their enthusiasm is gonna be concerning these details for a realistic simulation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, badderjet said:

I think these visual features are extremely prominent irl and would add an enormous amount of real life airport feeling to the sim in general. 

Thanks for the insight, I totally agree with you especially for such a novel sim. However is no showstopper I just hope they will consider this detail in the future. Can you imagine landing at an airport and seeing the same stretch marks you would see in real life? it really adds to the immersion indeed..