Sign in to follow this  
c912039

P3D, VSYNC and multiple monitors

Ive read how some users, who have monitors/TVs that can sync at 30Hz, have been able to set VSYNC ON, unlimited frames in P3D and via the monitor sync rate, have it running at 30 fps.
Ive also read that for monitors that don't natively run at 30Hz, you can use an external program/config to achieve the same.

As I have 2 GPUs and 7 monitors, the external limiter has never worked for me, as whatever value I set, I have P3D working at 1/3 the preferred rate.
I have 3 x 27" monitors for my front view (no instruments), a ultrawide screen below where P3D main window is, just to display instrument panel, and the other monitors are touch screen, and GPS displays.

So, I am about to replace the 3 x 27" monitors that I use for outside front view, with a OLED 65" TV, that is capable of running 30 Hz. The remainder of the monitors are still 60 hz only.
(Id prefer to keep the main P3D window on the ultrawide, as Ive read that text/menu is very difficult to read on 4K 30 Hz screens)

How does P3D use frame rate limiting with VSYNC if I have multiple monitors with only some capable of syncing at 30Hz?
Is there a primary display that VSYNC is calculated off?
Why do external syncing solutions always chop my target framerate down to 1/3 of what I set (IE set to 30fps, I get 10fps)?

Regards

David

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, c912039 said:

How does P3D use frame rate limiting with VSYNC if I have multiple monitors with only some capable of syncing at 30Hz?
Is there a primary display that VSYNC is calculated off?
Why do external syncing solutions always chop my target framerate down to 1/3 of what I set (IE set to 30fps, I get 10fps)?

It appears that the external so-called VSyync limiters see 3 x DirectX 3D windows and somehow assume each should get 10 fps to make the total 30 fps. Weird.

The only ways I found round it were stretching one window over all three monitors (projectors in my case), which was no good for me as I needed at least a 180 degree FOV, or using VSync in P3D, which works fine.

BTW, I changed recently from 3 x HD Projectors to 2 x UHD Projectors. The reduction of P3D scenery windows from 3 to 2 gave me a >30% boost which was more than enough to offset the increase in total pixels displayed.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 2004 19041.264
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3900 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 30Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

9 hours ago, c912039 said:

As I have 2 GPUs and 7 monitors, the external limiter has never worked for me, as whatever value I set, I have P3D working at 1/3 the preferred rate.

With 7 monitors you must have some difficulty maintaining 30 fps regardless of the synch settings. Do you have to turn down the sliders very much? What version of P3D are you running?

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

BTW, I changed recently from 3 x HD Projectors to 2 x UHD Projectors. The reduction of P3D scenery windows from 3 to 2 gave me a >30% boost which was more than enough to offset the increase in total pixels displayed.

Pete, any chance of another video of your current cockpit setup. I saw the one you made a few years ago, but you seem to have quite a few changes to your system since then. It would be interesting to see it with the 2 UHD projectors.

John B

1 hour ago, Biggles2010 said:

Pete, any chance of another video of your current cockpit setup.

There was the intention of doing one recently, when I had visitors (in turn Rob Ainscough, Nat Crea and Thomas Richter have visited in short order) but we have run out of time in all three cases to actually do a proper flight where I or a third party (if we could find one) could make a video. In fact Thomas only just got back home to Shannon just before the current lockdown was imposed.

Now, with the lockdown here there's no chance of visitors.

I suppose I could try to set the camera up on a tripod and just leave it running, editing it afterwards, but it would be much better with two pilots and myself making the video properly.  (I used to have a tripod -- I wonder where it is? The anti-shake mechanism in today's video cameras are so good i've not used one for many years!)

I'll get one made one of these days! 😉

Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 2004 19041.264
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3900 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 30Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen