Sign in to follow this  
BIGSKY

Delta Grounds Entire B-777 Fleet!

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Delta's not grounding their 777s...they're retiring them permanently.  And accelerating the retirement of the MD-88/90s.  And furloughing over half of their 13000-14000 pilots come Sept when the CARES Act layoff moratorium period ends.

B u t t   u g l y !

• Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

20 hours ago, w6kd said:

Delta's not grounding their 777s...they're retiring them permanently.  And accelerating the retirement of the MD-88/90s.  And furloughing over half of their 13000-14000 pilots come Sept when the CARES Act layoff moratorium period ends.

B u t t   u g l y !

Shame they couldn't bung us at virgin some of all that money they are saving.... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

I feel sorry for all those who have invested heavily in training to become a pilot and mechanics. If you want a flying career now it sounds like the military is the only option.

Ted

• Upvote 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

9 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

I feel sorry for all those who have invested heavily in training to become a pilot and mechanics. If you want a flying career now it sounds like the military is the only option.

Ted

Well that’s a very limited view of aviation, and overlooks an entire industry of professional flying. There’s a lot more than just 121 and military flying for those looking. I’ve said many times that the best career jobs in all of aviation, as well as the worst, are 91 jobs. Corporate/private, and even many 135 jobs are excellent, with great qol. Every operator is not a south Florida 134.5 fly by night operation. The good jobs don’t fall out of the sky though, and you really need to have great networking skills. Also, if you want to fly the most advanced avionics/systems and highest performance airplanes outside of military planes, it’s definitely not 121. I’ll add that if you just want to clock in, fly your route, clock out, and put nothing more into your operation it’s not for you. It’s not remotely like airline work. I wouldn’t trade my department for any airline job.

13 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

Ted

Or cargo.  They are looking for drivers. ACE in leige want 50

14ppkc-6.png

11 hours ago, Rbass said:

Well that’s a very limited view of aviation, and overlooks an entire industry of professional flying.

7 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

Or cargo.

You both make good points and I'm glad to hear that there is still for demand cargo pilots. All I was saying is that for those that have just invested in a pilot or aviation mechanic career, a lot of the demand has disappeared almost over night. The pilots and technicians fresh from school are now not only competing with others just completing their training but also with the experienced personnel recently furloughed for a much smaller pool of aviation jobs in all categories.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

There will not be any shortage of pilots if airlines need them, present airlines are sheading thousands.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

You both make good points and I'm glad to hear that there is still for demand cargo pilots. ..

Me too. The current chaos will change air travel for self-loading pax, but cargo flights and ocean-going cargo ships will always be necessary IMHO.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I have a good friend who retired from the USAF and got hired as a pilot by FedEx.  His scheduled class start date for training was the 15th of Sept 2001.  While airline pilots all over the country were getting furloughed after 9/11, the only impact it had on him was they slipped his class date 2-3 weeks.

Cargo ops may not be looked upon as "glamorous" like the pax carriers, but that sector sure has gotten through every major economic downturn of the last 50 years much better.  With today's "just-in-time" production lines and expectations of instant gratification, it's that much more secure in its place.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

There’s a really nice coffee table book I’m flicking through at the moment simply called “cargo pilot” written by a Cargolux 747 pilot.

Quite an interesting lifestyle. Instead of flying from A to B back to A ,2 days off and repeat like passenger airline pilots , they seem to take their jet on a 2-3 week world tour then get 10 days off in a row.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

As New Zealand steps down out of lockdown, we see winners and losers.

You'd queue for a haircut, some shops are running shifts 24/7 to keep up.
You can't get into a hardware store, all that pent-up DIY retail therapy needs servicing!

Air New Zealand has essentially fallen apart. There is no international passenger air traffic to speak of. The big Boeings are mothballed, and only a few regional routes are being serviced with Dash 8's and ATR's.

But Auckland rail commuters might see this as a win: they are set to get some of the best-qualified train drivers around.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/416612/jobless-pilots-swapping-wings-for-railway-tracks