Sign in to follow this  
Maaarp

PMDG 777 vs iFLY 737NG

To cut through the noise and clutter here, go to flightsfrom.com, select the Australian airport you wish to fly out of, then sort by longest flight. That'll tell you which aircraft covers what destination. The 787 is in there. 

My advice: fix whatever problem you're having with the 787 and stick with it. The solution to having a problem with one addon is not to buy another one. Especially if the one you have is so versatile, has ramp presence and covers a lot of destinations. Trust me, you're not going to be happier with the 777.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jon b said:

The main parts of flying an airliner is being able to operate the autopilot through the MCP and use the FMC.  If you’re able to do this on the 787 then you will be able to on the 747-400 they’re extremely similar and for the most part identical.

very buggy....Feels ok but needs a lot of work in comparison to PMDG....usable though....I like the sound though. But quite a few things are missed. Hopefully better over time...My take anyway.

Alex 

14 hours ago, C2615 said:

The only reason I keep ifly737 while also have NGXu is because it can fly RF-legs at HIGHLAND airport, but I believe both feature are on PMDG's to do list then...

I wouldn't hold your breath there. They have been on the to do list for years.

I have both the iFly 737 and the PMDG 777. Both are my go to airliners. Considering how long the iFl7 737 has been out for they have done a great job keeping it up to date.
The remote FMC/CDU app running on an iPad is great to fly the 777 with. There is also a Virtual FMC/CDU app for the iFly 737 as well (which i should get). I fly the 777 in the RW and find it an incredibly accurate simulation. In fact I "trained" with it during my conversion course. The checklists are a little different from my company's version but not by much. It's only downside is that it cat accurately fly RF leg types in approaches. It can only approximate. Why PMDG continue to use their old nav coding escapes me. The 737 is fun to fly and runs on rails. Very simple to get up and going.

You wont be disappointed with either choice.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Cheers

Steve Hall

Thanks everyone for your incredible input here. There is so much experience out there, it's quite mind boggling. I'm in the fortunate position as a retiree of being able to indulge my hobby and experiment with different aircraft. I'll persist with the QW 787 and work on getting the one or two VNAV problems sorted.

I'd also like to look at a dedicated cargo plane and I reckon that'll give me an excuse to try out one of the suggestions that you've spoken about here. So much to learn and do, how can we ever be bored!

Cheers

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Maaarp said:

I'll persist with the QW 787

& here am I at 2257 betting you would fly the 777 as QTR do / did YSSY via YSCB to OTHH ..... short & long haul !!

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

1 minute ago, vadriver said:

& here am I at 2257 betting you would fly the 777 as QTR do / did YSSY via YSCB to OTHH ..... short & long haul !!

Hahaha, I'm going to take her from VTBD (Thailand) to LSZH (Zurich) tonight. It's 4,895 nm and almost 11 hours. Should keep me busy!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maaarp said:

Thanks everyone for your incredible input here. There is so much experience out there, it's quite mind boggling. I'm in the fortunate position as a retiree of being able to indulge my hobby and experiment with different aircraft. I'll persist with the QW 787 and work on getting the one or two VNAV problems sorted.

I'd also like to look at a dedicated cargo plane and I reckon that'll give me an excuse to try out one of the suggestions that you've spoken about here. So much to learn and do, how can we ever be bored!

Cheers

https://www.airportspotting.com/boeing-787-routes-2/

https://www.radarbox.com/data/aircraft-models/b788

https://www.radarbox.com/data/aircraft-models/b789

Enjoy

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Maaarp said:

I'm going to take her from VTBD (Thailand) to LSZH (Zurich) tonight.

how is the flight going ..... i'm off to bed now after the "busiest" flight in a T7 i've ever done.

VMMC to VHHH ... was actually "grading" some issues in VOXATC but have to say "well done" T7 (&VOXATC)

short haul is fun .....

for now, cheers

john martin

1 hour ago, vadriver said:

how is the flight going ..... i'm off to bed now after the "busiest" flight in a T7 i've ever done.

VMMC to VHHH ... was actually "grading" some issues in VOXATC but have to say "well done" T7 (&VOXATC)

short haul is fun .....

It was going well until halfway through the descent then CTD! Bugger!! I feel I may have been partly responsible because I used the "Relocate" facility in the QW settings to skip the middle of the flight. Even though it's part of the aircraft software, I really don't think that either the 787 or P3D like it when you do that. About 15 mins after I'd flipped forward, BOOM!

Ah well perhaps a short haul tomorrow to make up for that.

You are probably seeing him in the "post anger phase" here.....after the PC was thrown out of the window, and the nearest wall was used as a punchbag 🤣

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

21 hours ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

very buggy....Feels ok but needs a lot of work in comparison to PMDG....usable though....I like the sound though. But quite a few things are missed. Hopefully better over time...My take anyway.

The QW787 is close to half the PMDG 777 price, I would reasonably expect a few things to be missed compared to a product significantly more expensive.

9 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

You are probably seeing him in the "post anger phase" here.....

not unusual behavior if around the Capital Hill precincts ........

commiserations to the OP

for now, cheers

john martin