Sign in to follow this  
BlackBeltMike

Performing an airshow or sightseeing during an IFR flight

Hiya, 

At some point during an IFR flight plan, I'd like to perform an air show or go sight-seeing, and then resume the flight plan.  To try this out, I called P2A to Cancel IFR, but then I could find no way to resume it afterward (Direct To seems to require an active flight plan which I had cancelled, so I got stuck with ATC not really recognising what I was trying to do).

But now at the back of the manual I notice there are calls to "Leave Frequency" and "Back on Frequency".  I know the timings would be off for the NAV point arrivals etc so would that work or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Mike

P2A cannot handle that scenario directly.  However, you could do the following and it should work:

1) Save your flight plan so it can be reloaded after the airshow if you plan on clearing it.

2) Disconnect from the SIM.  If you want to follow the airshow on the map, you can reconnect.

3) Do the airshow or sight seeing

4) When ready to resume the IFR Flight, load the flight plan, if you cleared it for some reason, and get back on course, anywhere on the flight plan en-route portion.

5)  FILE THE FLIGHT PLAN, then be sure you are at the cruise altitude and make an initial call to Center "Center, <CallSign> at FL 240".  

6) Center should give you a new squawk code and the flight should resume and complete normally.

This may not work if you are already in the approach phase of the flight when you break off or rejoin.  You should only expect this to work when in the enroute part of the flight, before the STAR or TOD point.

Dave

• Like 1