Sign in to follow this  
VAL067

Shared User Waypoints GTN750/650

Hi all

I was wondering if someone can help me resolve an issue i have. I created user waypoints in the GTN750 but when using the GTN 650 these waypoints are not found. My understanding was waypoints are saved under the same folder as flight plans or has that changed. i can share the flight plans from data bases folder but it seems my 750 has saved these waypoints somewhere,

Hi,

Please read the RXP GTN User's Manual "Embedded Memory" chapter.

You might want to create external user waypoints file (see manual as well) and import to both instead.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thank you for your reply, i have read the manual and im more confused as to what i have to do to create a flight plan or user waypoint within any of my GTN products so it saves in the one location and both GTN,s can read off the same data base. From what i understand is each one saves it,s settings C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\nonvol so how do i get it to save flight plans and user points created in sim to save in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN . If you can help me with this or maybe point me to a good tutorial.

cheers

You can't export GTN route catalog, only import.

You can though with the GNS V2

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Ok thanks for clarifying that, its a shame that the two units cannot share in sim created flight plans or user waypoints, can we get that on the wish list 🥳, thanks for your help appreciate it.

1 hour ago, VAL067 said:

Ok thanks for clarifying that, its a shame that the two units cannot share in sim created flight plans or user waypoints, can we get that on the wish list 🥳, thanks for your help appreciate it.

From another user...  Understand that the limitation is with the Garmin GTN Trainer and the way it stores user data. The trainer is the engine so to speak for simulator gauges and provides us with a very rich set of real-world features.  

As RXP indicated, you can do all of your work in one and then copy it's file over the file for your other gauge, or gauges.  I did this successfully at times in the past.  The file details are on page 21 of the current RXP GTN user's manual.  Just take time to back up your current files first, and each time you do so.  Each time you add more flight plans or user waypoints you should do the copy-over again.

I have discontinued doing so as I use my GTNs a bit differently now.  I store different flight plans in each so that I can use longer or shorter range flight plans in my aircraft models where long or short range flights are more appropriate.  

You can create .gfp flight plans and user waypoints for importing  into both gauges.  In the case of .gfp flight plans the rule is to keep them basic until after the import and then embellish them once in your gauge(s).  The more sophisticated you attempt to get before import the more difficulty you will encounter.  Garmin tightly screens during the import process, and databases between your flight planning source and the Garmin Trainer do not always match.  So steer clear of departures, arrivals, approaches, and departure or arrival runways in files for import.  Those can be quickly added in the gauge after the import.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 hours ago, VAL067 said:

My understanding was waypoints are saved under the same folder as flight plans or has that changed. i can share the flight plans from data bases folder but it seems my 750 has saved these waypoints somewhere,

At the end of the first message at the link below you will find an icon for a Garmin .pdf file about how to create for import your own .gfp flight plans and also how to create a file of user waypoints you can import.  This may help you sooth over what you wish to accomplish.  Just remember my cautions in my earlier message above about importing .gfp files with too much sophistication.  The page on building a file of user waypoints is the last page in the pdf and it looks pretty simple.

https://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/garmin-gtn650-user-flight-plan-import-question.231557/#post-2538904

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

The page on building a file of user waypoints is the last page in the pdf and it looks pretty simple.

Also already installed on your hard drive here:

C:\ProgramData\Reality XP\Common\GtnTrainer\flightplans.zip

Edited by RXP