Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Ainscough

USB to Cat6 cable extenders and HDMI 2.1 extenders

I'm looking to relocate my PC's externally to my SimPit room ... two key issues are USB cable length and HDMI cable length.

For USB distance extenders I'm looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Extender-CAT5E-Connection-150ft/dp/B003L14ZTC

For HDMI 2.1 distance extenders I'm looking at these: 

https://www.amazon.com/Cablesson-HDMI-Extender-Booster-Amplified/dp/B002HJ0IPY

If anyone has experience with these types of devices, please do chime in.

Cheers, Rob.

Hello Rob

I cannot comment on the exact ones you have listed, but I have used HDMI over cat 5/6 adaptors many times in my line of work. Hanging monitors from the ceilings and the PC is 30 to 50 feet away without any issues. Some adaptors require separate power on one end, others use the USB for powering the adaptors. 

As for the USB over cat 5/6, I have never tried it. USB is good for 15 feet. I have used active (powered) USB extender cables that are 25 feet, then using the standard 15 feet USB cable plugged into that for a total of 40 feet without any issues. 

Rick Verhallen

i7-8700K OC to 5.0 Ghz | 32 GIG- G.Skill 2400 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Motherboard | Asus RTX 2080Ti |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HTC Vive Pro HMD I HP Reverb G1 HMD

4 hours ago, rickjake said:

but I have used HDMI over cat 5/6 adaptors many times in my line of work.

Thanks for response Rick ... do you happen to know if they support HDR10 4K @ 60Hz (48Gbps)?  

The USB to Cat6 extenders are supposed to support over 125 feet but the model I listed isn't external powered (using USB power) which I'd rather it not ... perhaps powered alternatives exist.  My idea is to run these to USB --> Cat6 --> USB to USB HUB  (about 8 lines from PC).

Cheers, Rob.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:19 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

do you happen to know if they support HDR10 4K @ 60Hz (48Gbps)?  

Sorry Rob. So far, I have not needed to do this with a 4k setup. Only HD. So I have no personal experience on how HDR10 4K at 60Hz would perform. 

Rick Verhallen

i7-8700K OC to 5.0 Ghz | 32 GIG- G.Skill 2400 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Motherboard | Asus RTX 2080Ti |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HTC Vive Pro HMD I HP Reverb G1 HMD