Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

V5 KLAS FlyTampa VRAM -Any tips?

22 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

It's not just that, it's like system ram. Up to a certain point the more you have, the more the system uses. An 8gb card will use less than one that has 10,11,24 etc, it's not linear. For many 8gb is just fine, and others with 11gb have the same vram problems. 

Is that actually true though with regard to P3D? You're saying in an apples-to-apples comparison in V5, it'll use more VRAM on a 12GB card vs. 8GB. Has someone confirmed this?

Something is weird with the way Windows 10 or P3Dv5 allocates the VRAM max in fullscreen in 4K. In my opinion something is bugged.

If I sit at KLAS in 4K resolution in fullscreen mode I will have a certain VRAM max that is much lower than one would expect (for example XX/6.3).

If I ALT+ENTER to go into Windowed mode (spanning fullscreen) the VRAM max increases to XX/7.1.

What is really going on here.  

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

2 hours ago, Chapstick said:

Has someone confirmed this?

Not scientifically, just in reading posts from all of the various groups and forums. Most users with 8gb cards have no problems with VRAM, same with those with 10 and 11gb. Maybe I'll try it out for something to do, I have a spare 1070ti lying around that I'll swap out to see what I can find.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I also think certain developer products use more VRAM. 

All FB products are fine with my 1070 on V5. With FT, only KLAS is terrible. I had to lower my texture to 1024. FSDT, with KORD I have to lower it too to 1024. LatinVFR, man, this I am struggling with - still trying to find out the best settings. Anyone can share their exp and tips with LatinVFR, FLL and MIA?

I have more or less solved my vram issues by running 2560x1440 instead of 4K resolution. I can pretty much max out every slider now, except texture resolution which must be at 1024. KLAS sitting in the ngx at the gate is my test, then going into outside view and panning and moving around. So far so good. 

Best this has been for me at KLAS ever.  

Edited by SolRayz

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

5 hours ago, SolRayz said:

I have more or less solved my vram issues by running 2560x1440 instead of 4K resolution. I can pretty much max out every slider now, except texture resolution which must be at 1024. KLAS sitting in the ngx at the gate is my test, then going into outside view and panning and moving around. So far so good. 

Best this has been for me at KLAS ever.  

Are you on Windowed mode or full screen?

Also what is your experience with LatinVFR?

1 hour ago, TrentXWB said:

Are you on Windowed mode or full screen?

Also what is your experience with LatinVFR?

Fullscreen mode. KMIA is tough, maybe more so than KLAS, if that's even possible. I'm still experimenting with the NGX and my settings, but right off the bat I had to pull my LOD setting back from Ultra to High. Getting 5.8/6.6. 

Whatever you do, do not even attempt Orbx TrueEarth Florida with LatinVFR KMIA unless you like ctd's. Why did I buy TrueEarth? 🙄

6 hours ago, SolRayz said:

Fullscreen mode. KMIA is tough, maybe more so than KLAS, if that's even possible. I'm still experimenting with the NGX and my settings, but right off the bat I had to pull my LOD setting back from Ultra to High. Getting 5.8/6.6. 

Whatever you do, do not even attempt Orbx TrueEarth Florida with LatinVFR KMIA unless you like ctd's. Why did I buy TrueEarth? 🙄

Thanks for the tip. I am on the verge of buying 30 RTX series but the prices are crazy and also 3070 only comes with 8GB at the moment which is not much better than my old 1070. And i dont want to spend $1000 MSRP 3080Ti with 20GB. I just need more VRAM.

I am thinking to go 6800XT route since it has 16GB at a reasonable price if I can find one available. Those scalpers!

2 hours ago, TrentXWB said:

Thanks for the tip. I am on the verge of buying 30 RTX series but the prices are crazy and also 3070 only comes with 8GB at the moment which is not much better than my old 1070. And i dont want to spend $1000 MSRP 3080Ti with 20GB. I just need more VRAM.

I am thinking to go 6800XT route since it has 16GB at a reasonable price if I can find one available. Those scalpers!

I'm holding out for the 3080Ti with its massive 20Gb. That will be a worthy upgrade and should be the last card I buy for awhile. 

8 hours ago, SolRayz said:

I'm holding out for the 3080Ti with its massive 20Gb. That will be a worthy upgrade and should be the last card I buy for awhile. 

Same here and the last upgrade for me until I do a total re-build of my system.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I know this is a older thread, but I just installed FlyTampa's Las Vegas scenery. I can run the sim (P3D v5.1 with hotfix1) but it has to be with EA mode off. With EA mode on at Las Vegas P3D turns off EA mode automatically so the sim does not crash (a new feature for P3D).

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:26 PM, SolRayz said:

BTW, Can i ask you on how's your FPS and stutter on LVR KFLL? When I am there during take off and landing, i experienced stutter. All my other airport addons are fine from FT, FB and FSDT. 

1 hour ago, pgde said:

I'm very close to giving up on a PC upgrade. No components ever appear in stock for long enough before they're scalped or bought for crypto mining.
If this latest rumour is true, why should I pay an additional £300 for a 3080Ti when it will (alledgedly) only give an extra 2GB VRAM over a standard 3080?

At that point, I can only hope that MSFS comes good so that I can use it on an Xbox Series X.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

On 1/1/2021 at 5:44 AM, TrentXWB said:

I also think certain developer products use more VRAM. 

It's usually an indication how a product is fully using PBR ( or not ).

If you want true PBR, everywhere, meaning the scenery is coherent with no visual differences due to some objects made with PBR and others made with Legacy ( there are even some specific *bugs* that happens only if you mix up PBR and non-PBR textures in the same objects ), you are usually supposed to create the full set of textures for each material, one for Albedo, one AO/Metallic/Roughness, and one for the Normals, with an optional  Lightmap in case the object emits light.

Even if you could optimize a bit, for example not using the Metallic channel and pack the textures in a different way if the objects don't have metallic parts, in general, we can say a PBR object *usually* consumes more VRAM than the same object made using the non-PBR shader, and with P3D lack of realtime AO, it's even more difficult to "save" VRAM, for example not using the AO channel.

Assuming the same general ability of developers to optimize as best as they can, a 100% PBR scenery will surely take more VRAM compared to one that isn't, and the same is valid for airplane textures too.

• Like 1