Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

V5 KLAS FlyTampa VRAM -Any tips?

5 hours ago, F737NG said:

I'm very close to giving up on a PC upgrade. No components ever appear in stock for long enough before they're scalped or bought for crypto mining.
If this latest rumour is true, why should I pay an additional £300 for a 3080Ti when it will (alledgedly) only give an extra 2GB VRAM over a standard 3080?

At that point, I can only hope that MSFS comes good so that I can use it on an Xbox Series X.

I don't even think its crypto mining anymore, but just scalpers attempting to profit of genuinely low stock. I could be wrong. But I agree with others that it's becoming bothersome to upgrade with zero stock, and always zero stock. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

28 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

I don't even think its crypto mining anymore, but just scalpers attempting to profit of genuinely low stock. I could be wrong. But I agree with others that it's becoming bothersome to upgrade with zero stock, and always zero stock. 

It's primarily scalpers and low stocks due to manufacturing disruptions caused by COVID-19.
But unfortunately, it appears that the crazy leaps in Bitcoin and Ethereum prices are driving new demand for GPUs just at a time when gamers and professional content creators looking to upgrade could without the extra competition to snag a new card.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2021/01/06/bad-news-graphics-card-prices-are-skyrocketing-and-theres-no-end-in-sight/

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-shortages-worsen-cryptocurrency-coin-miners-ethereum

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Well that's bad news. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

6 hours ago, virtuali said:

It's usually an indication how a product is fully using PBR ( or not ).

If you want true PBR, everywhere, meaning the scenery is coherent with no visual differences due to some objects made with PBR and others made with Legacy ( there are even some specific *bugs* that happens only if you mix up PBR and non-PBR textures in the same objects ), you are usually supposed to create the full set of textures for each material, one for Albedo, one AO/Metallic/Roughness, and one for the Normals, with an optional  Lightmap in case the object emits light.

Even if you could optimize a bit, for example not using the Metallic channel and pack the textures in a different way if the objects don't have metallic parts, in general, we can say a PBR object *usually* consumes more VRAM than the same object made using the non-PBR shader, and with P3D lack of realtime AO, it's even more difficult to "save" VRAM, for example not using the AO channel.

Assuming the same general ability of developers to optimize as best as they can, a 100% PBR scenery will surely take more VRAM compared to one that isn't, and the same is valid for airplane textures too.

Thanks Umberto for your expanation.

I just want to clarify that my previous post was not meant to attack you or your product. It was simply an observation from me. I cannot speak for others but for me since V5, it seems that many are facing VRAM issue on a certain product. Before RTX 30, the only option was to go to 1080Ti or 2080 Ti or Titan, those has more than 10GB  VRAM. Some may not be able to afford it and now with RTX 30/RX6800 series, there's no stock (I know none those are your fault nor that you have any influence on it). So I am only trying to find a way to enjoy V5 and tweaking it here and there and not running into VRAM issue.

Soon MSFS will move to DX12 and we will face the same issue again (I think). 

Thanks again for your explanation.