After some advice as a noob please.

i9 9900K, Noctua NH-D15, MSI Z390 Gaming Plus, RTX2070 8GB Super, 16GB 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair TX750M.

I have been reading and watching plenty of information on OC'ing the 9900K and i have successfully OC'd my last 6600k to 4.5Ghz previous to this.

Problem i have is the CPU VCore seems to be pretty high under load (OCCT, Cinebench, Intel XTU) and i don't really know why when i have set the CPu Vcore manually in the BIOS. Also i am stuck at 4.9Ghz and cannot get to 5.0Gz without freezing seconds into OCCT.

Current OC settings where i am stable but the VCore getting high.

CPU Ratio - 49
Ring Ratio - 46
AVX offset - -1
CPU core voltage mode - Override
CPU Vcore - 1.32v
Load Line Calibration - Mode 2
EIST - Disabled
CPU over current protection - 140%
Intel C State - Disabled
Long and Short Duration power limit - 4096
CPU Current Limit - 256

Max temp on any of the cores is 75C and there is no throttling from heat or anything else from what i can see on Intel XTU, GPU-Z Sensors etc.
CPU VCore goes upto 1.36v to 1.37v on average in OCCT and Cinebench tests 

I would like to reduce the VCore as seen on many posts here as i dont think 1.37v is particularly stable for the long term. I think i have thermal room but i cannot seem to reduce the VCore and even on the above i cannot achieve 5.0Ghz which doesnt seem right as mnay people have with ease and lower VCore/

With my limited knowledge i am now struggling to work out what needs to change to improve things. 

Help please!

DaveyGurmSignature.png

1.37 is 100% safe, I wouldn't think twice about running it.  Ive been running a 6600k at 1.47 for over 4 years now with no degradation.But The reason for the bios discrepancy is due to software inaccuracy.  I would assume the bios setting is correct.  If the voltage is is showing 1.32v at idle and going up to 1.37 on load it might be poor or aggressive load line calibration on your vrm, unless you are using a dynamic vcore offset which will scale the voltage dynamically with speed.

Edited by Pilot53
  • Upvote 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Firstly, you should leave EIST and Intel C States enabled.  They are not interferring with your overclock attempts.  More info about those settings here (see "Arthmost's" posts).

If your CPU requires a Vcore of 1.36v to 1.37v at 4.9Ghz then that may very well be the best you can do.  My 6 core requires 1.379v at 5.3 Ghz... has been that way for 20 months and nary a hiccup.  You don't mention what your VCCIO and VCCSA voltages are.  You could try testing them at 1.2v to see if that increase makes a difference.  Finally, I never use an AVX offset... overclock to run at a specific speed (the best you can safely achieve) and don't worry about an "offest" making on-the-fly adjustments.  Keep it simple, keep it safe!

Good luck,

Greg

Thanks for your comments guys. There are definately a few things here that i can test out and may a max of 1.37v is fine after all. I did run a P3D test late yesterday and the voltage never sustained that high like it did on the benchmarking tests. It did get up to that level in some situations but was rare and more like 1.35v was maintained.

I will give it a go and put EIST and C states back on. Everything i had watch seemed to imply that you should turn it off for manual OC.

VCCIO and VCCSA i have no idea what that is however i have not touched it manually myself.

See if i can crack 5.0Ghz!

DaveyGurmSignature.png

On 5/17/2020 at 1:16 PM, daveygurm10 said:

Thanks for your comments guys. There are definately a few things here that i can test out and may a max of 1.37v is fine after all. I did run a P3D test late yesterday and the voltage never sustained that high like it did on the benchmarking tests. It did get up to that level in some situations but was rare and more like 1.35v was maintained.

I will give it a go and put EIST and C states back on. Everything i had watch seemed to imply that you should turn it off for manual OC.

VCCIO and VCCSA i have no idea what that is however i have not touched it manually myself.

See if i can crack 5.0Ghz!

Yes sir, 1.37v is fine. As you noticed in P3d it only reached 1.35v. However if you go to 5.0 the voltage may bump up more. just keep an eye on it. 

The VCCIO and VCCSA voltages are more for memory over clocking stability, you shouldn't need to adjust those. But keep in mind the difference between 4.9 and 5.0 is very little, for the possible heat increase that may come with it.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

You can try my settings if you like. My system is very similar. HT must be off.

CPU Ratio. 52

CPU ratio Dynamic

AVX offset. 0

EIST enabled.

Enhanced Turbo on

Core voltage mode: Adaptive + Offset

Core volts 1.31

Offset mode +

Core volts offset.  0.02

Load Line Calibration; Mode 4

This allows voltage reduction on light load. Temps with P3D V5 60 C. With Realbench peaks around 80 C.

Been running like that for about 18 Months.

Edited by DescendDescend
Spelling

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs