Sign in to follow this  
cannow

One Month In V5 here comes V4.5

59 minutes ago, warbirds said:

I cannot see enough of a difference to use it.

That's cuz you have old eyes like me Paul!  🙂

Sorry - couldn't resist.

;Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

40 minutes ago, Ident said:

I purchased v5 but havent installed it. Removed v4 as well. I have a crazy amount of money invested in addons so I will keep v5 around but I use v3 for P3D and XPlane11 for my main sims. v3 allows me the use of a lot of addons that didnt make it to the 64bit version and Xplane11 has become my more used sim.

I’m always suggesting to people that they buy p3d v5 because it brings some solid new features - dx12, great water, truesky, better smoothness - that make the upgrade worthwhile.

However, just like v4, it works best if actually installed. 😉

• Like 6

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, warbirds said:

I cannot see enough of a difference to use it.

Enhanced atmospherics make the sim look a lot better. There’s no way to achieve the same look in v4.5, even with PTA.

Truesky clouds look great for GA, i’m not yet convinced for tube flying.

General terrain looks better as well for me as i can turn on shadows for everything - trees, simobjects, terrain - thanks to dx12, which i could never manage before.

The difference is very noticable when returning to v4.5, the same as FSX looks bad after you’ve been using P3D v3/v4 for a while.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

As soon as i realized what's in v5, i sold the 2070SUPER and bought a 2nd hand 1080Ti. Made $50 in the trade and i am way happier now.

There's just no going back after you've experienced v5.

• Like 2

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

9 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

However, just like v4, it works best if actually installed. 😉

I installed it and then saw it had serious issues for VR users which got fixed in a later update requiring a completely new install. So I did install it, looked at it and then uninstalled it. Was rather disappointing when comparing it to what MSFS is offering as default planes and scenery. I forgot how much I need addons like Orbx regions and A2A planes to really make P3D shine. 

I'm just not amped to start all over chasing updates and which products work and which need a patch. If there is a version 6 way down the road, then I could see installing the final version of v5 but by then, Im guessing MSFS will have enough love from 3rd party developers that P3D just wont be appealing anymore. 

• Like 1

I also returned to 4.5 HF3.

V5 surely has it's pros and the guys at LM do adress lot'S of issues reported to them via p3d forum. There is one guy, Max I think, who adresses all mesh related issues right away. The Q remains, why on earth are there so many such issues never seen before??

I also like the new look of the ground textures and the Enhanced Atmospherics stuff....

...newertheless it's outragious that v5 demands GPU's with 12+ gb of VRAM to run and for what? To display some trees and buildings textured like 15 years ago? Yeah....I know....the open world thing, the entire world thing but what the heck....you don't have to see an apple in a tree positioned 400 meters away...if you know what I mean. At a given point in time (at a gate of some fancy airport), only that airport and closest surroundings have to be high quality. No one cares what happens on the other side of the globe....

So to say, there are way more demanding and better looking "games" with working raytracing, reflections, etc. etc. that can be run with 8Gigs of VRAM.

It's nothing more that I can say.... 

• Upvote 3

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

As soon as i realized what's in v5, i sold the 2070SUPER and bought a 2nd hand 1080Ti. Made $50 in the trade and i am way happier now.

Yes been looking through ebay and tempted but also was hoping to hang on till next gen cards

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Simmers demanded more work be sent to the GPU. We got it. I guess it's a case of careful what you wish for.

• Upvote 2

David Porrett

28 minutes ago, cannow said:

Yes been looking through ebay and tempted but also was hoping to hang on till next gen cards

Yeah might make more sense. Even the 3070 should be a beast and i say 3070 because the 3060 wil *apparently* have only 8GB once again.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

7 hours ago, modano said:

After a month i belive V5 is better than V4 

I believe that there is at this time, a place for both on your system...and am using both....

I decided against v5 simply because I do not feel that at least $500.00 for a bigger ( and used) video card makes sense at this point in time. I have 6 gig of vram and v4.5 runs great. I wont buy another video card until I can no longer sleep at night, because I am obsessed with the new sim. P3dv5, so far, does not keep me up at night.

I fear that if Flight Simulator 2020 has the same video card memory requirements, sales might be considerably less than a million copies, I am assuming the MS thinks in millions of copies sold-- not 10,000. I don't think that those same consumers who purchased the early MSFS would simply go out and buy a new expensive card, especially with unemployment at depression era levels. I get the fact that many of us will "invest" in our hobby, and pay $1000's just because it's our hobby and passion. This still puts us in the minority.

I am confident that Lockheed and Microsoft will find good, creative approaches to video memory. This is still new , and they're just finding out from all of these alpha testers.

tony

1 minute ago, flyforever said:

I decided against v5 simply because I do not feel that at least $500.00 for a bigger ( and used) video card makes sense at this point in time. I have 6 gig of vram and v4.5 runs great. I wont buy another video card until I can no longer sleep at night, because I am obsessed with the new sim. P3dv5, so far, does not keep me up at night.

I fear that if Flight Simulator 2020 has the same video card memory requirements, sales might be considerably less than a million copies, I am assuming the MS thinks in millions of copies sold-- not 10,000. I don't think that those same consumers who purchased the early MSFS would simply go out and buy a new expensive card, especially with unemployment at depression era levels. I get the fact that many of us will "invest" in our hobby, and pay $1000's just because it's our hobby and passion. This still puts us in the minority.

I am confident that Lockheed and Microsoft will find good, creative approaches to video memory. This is still new , and they're just finding out from all of these alpha testers.

tony

You'd think that with the money Microsoft has...that they would get into the Graphic Card game....their own 'brand'...that would be publisher-certified to fly MSFS2020, full bent, out...   You'd think....

4 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I just received my Titan X Pascal. Too bad I do not have a P3D v5 to test. At least I can now test XP11 Vulkan. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, flyforever said:

We all get to decide which saddle to put on our horse! I completely understand not being ready to chunk another 1000 dollars at cyber space. The thing that gets old is that so many folks get up set when a new sim or new add on comes out that has a bunch of new features that so many scream for almost daily. Here is a cold hard fact. There is not going to be any thing released that is going to over come the fact that your equipment is older or to little VRam or what ever the problem is. That also goes of MS2020 or 2025 or what ever it turns out to be. If your current rig is not up to the task with P3D or X-Pain the latest then it is only going to get worse. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, flyforever said:

I get the fact that many of us will "invest" in our hobby, and pay $1000's just because it's our hobby and passion

For some strange reason I thought price will go down on some VC over time...

Alex