Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

It seems Microsoft just played their subscription game hand.

7 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

It was info that was (supposed) to be IN the Q and A.   If I had direct access to it, I would have posted it quicker than a lighting strike.  I don't have a Insider Subscript,  but read from one that claimed to

C’mon, Mitch. I know you are prone to hyperbole, but this is kinda ridiculous. The “insider subscript” costs you only the time it takes to sign up for it. Sign up and get the information for yourself. 

There is no mystery here. The project lead had stated in a few interviews that the program would be available to purchase outright and would be included as part of the Game Pass if you choose that option. They have also said that pricing has not been finalized, thus the reason it has not been published. Now, does that leave he door open for some sort of incremental pricing option for some service in the game? (*gasp* I called it a game) Sure it could, but it doesn’t mean that it will. Until then, everyone just needs to put their pitchforks away.

• Like 3

Chris

58 minutes ago, kaha said:

If MSFS2020 will be available for purchase with no subscription where will the content come from then? For sure there will not be any content streaming for free. Same add-on model then as with P3D? 

Karl

Again and again... MS/Asobo declared, you don't need a subscription for full experience, including streaming and other on-line functions and you still can buy MSFS as one-time purchase, if you don't want acces to other games. Where streaming content comes from in Bing maps, what are completely free? 🙂 You forget, that add-on market will be implemented in MSFS, so MS will have an additional fees from add-ons selling. Please, stop this neverending story with repeating this clear fake-news about "MSFS will doesn't give you a scenery streaming without Xbox game pass subscription"... 

• Like 2

One thing which is unclear is the access to the MP servers. (talking of the MP servers NOT the streaming servers).

If I understand well, and people more familiar with the Xbox world may correct me, the Normal Pass gives you access to 100 games that you can also buy as a standalone but only the premium Xbox pass Gold gives you access to the MP servers and chat. 

So, if you buy FS20 as a standalone will you have access to the MP servers ? Not a big problem for me but it could be for some.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

27 minutes ago, Jonnoxx said:

Most sane comment on this whole thread ...!

I'm also thinking along your lines that the cheapest PC "upgrade" by far is to simply buy a new Xbox Series X

Whether you lay that cash down upfront (and save a bundle by doing so), or choose to pay it off over 2 years (effectively paying more than 2x the cash price!) is a moot point that will depend on your available cash-flow, and personal preferences on how you handle your budget.  Nothing new here - exact same EXISTING dilemma as obtaining a cellphone.  Cash? or Credit?  If you have the ready cash, the wise answer is simple.   And if you don't, the alternative becomes practical - provided the expense is a FEASIBLE and NECESSARY priority (big "IF" here!) -  and NOT yet another superfluous "want" being foolishly added to an already stinking pile of over-burdened debt. 

But I digress ...

My REAL question here is ...

Could I buy the new Series X Game Box, and use that new device SOLELY as my new "windows PC" ie could I run normal programmes like MS Word, Excel, Blender, 3DS Max, SolidWorks directly on this machine???

I accept that by buying a Series X machine, I would be locking myself into a machine that cannot be upgraded from a hardware point of view. 

But from my point of view, given the prices that the new graphics cards will be costing anyway, it still seems the better deal is to just ditch one's existing PC (I've an old Dell 2710 - which is not upgradeable anyway), and buy a Series X, and be done with upgrades for the next 2 years. I see also the subscription option for buying a Series X includes upgrading to new and better machine after 14 months.

There's LOTS of speculation that the Series X might even come in at the $400-$500.  So even better.  But even at $700 this issue doesn't change.

If somebody can answer this question of whether the new Series X could effectively replace a PC, with some technical insight, that would be a real service to the technically illiterate like me! 

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person with this question ...

It's a console, not a PC. So you won't be able to use Word or anything like that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kaha said:

If MSFS2020 will be available for purchase with no subscription where will the content come from then? For sure there will not be any content streaming for free. Same add-on model then as with P3D? 

Karl

The content is already there. It's called offline mode 

1 hour ago, Jonnoxx said:

Most sane comment on this whole thread ...!

I'm also thinking along your lines that the cheapest PC "upgrade" by far is to simply buy a new Xbox Series X

or choose to pay it off over 2 years (effectively paying more than 2x the cash price!) is a moot point that will depend on your available cash-flow,

My REAL question here is ...

Could I buy the new Series X Game Box, and use that new device SOLELY as my new "windows PC" ie could I run normal programmes like MS Word, Excel, Blender, 3DS Max, SolidWorks directly on this machine???

I accept that by buying a Series X machine, I would be locking myself into a machine that cannot be upgraded from a hardware point of view. 

If somebody can answer this question of whether the new Series X could effectively replace a PC, with some technical insight, that would be a real service to the technically illiterate like me! 

First up - you will not "Twice the price" - if you do the sum - the total includes the console and 24 months of the use of 100 games of your choice - I.e The normal monthly Games Pass  $240 and $700 for the X Box -  and after the 24 months - the monthly sub of $ 10  continues - which can be cancelled at any time and you still have the console - which incidentally - as "Hardware" - it is also regularly updated as well as the games.

MS always work on the basis of a life of 4/5 years before a new one is required to keep up with Tech progress

No - you cannot run the console as a PC - but it does have a few Aps inc MS Edge browser - your old and faithful PC can still do the general stuff.

So here is the thing that really bothers me about this whole situation. Let's say I do decide to buy rent (or what ever it turns out to be) the MS2020 thingy and get one of these x-boxes. If I fly a chopper and land in my own back yard using the x-box, get out of the chopper and go into my house Virtually and fly my P3D sim on my regular computer , do I then become a gaming simulator pilot or would I be a simulated simulator pilot or perhalps a simulated gaming simulator pilot??? Let's face it guys...there are some real unknowns that need to be considered here!!

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

One thing which is unclear is the access to the MP servers. (talking of the MP servers NOT the streaming servers).

If I understand well, and people more familiar with the Xbox world may correct me, the Normal Pass gives you access to 100 games that you can also buy as a standalone but only the premium Xbox pass Gold gives you access to the MP servers and chat. 

So, if you buy FS20 as a standalone will you have access to the MP servers ? Not a big problem for me but it could be for some.

If you Play on xbox you will probably (very likely) Need Gold for multiplayer. But that is a xbox only Service. You dont Need Gold to Play any mucrosoft games in multiplayer on pc. 

Fyi: I have the game pass subcripzion for pc and i owned an xbox and hat Xbox Gold in the past. 

• Like 1

I did not read every post in this thread regarding subscription but I will reveal my secret dream and personal vision that concerns the world of XBox now that we talk about it...

To me, I always dreamt about a console created and dedicated to the lifespan of a specific version of a flight simulator.

As a user experience there is nothing better than this. And of course the console can be used for other games as well no doubt...

But then a console, strong enough and for the 5 years to come in the life of the simulator and supporting the controllers, keyboard and other devices Windows accept, and the capacity to install addons to a specific controlled level before overloading the hardware is a challenge for sure...

Let's consider for one moment these challenges can be overcome and MS put together an XBox version primarily for MSFS use, it could be in my opinion the best thing for someone who want a stable and trouble free controlled ecosystem for such a software... 

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Maybe they should give the game away for free, including all DLC, then charge an hourly rate to fly with a portion going to Microsoft and the developers of whatever add-on you are using at the time.  Everything for the one fixed hourly rate and you don't have to worry about paying for something you're not using.

History has shown that people will pay $2.00 per hour even when a "relaxed realism" arena was available for free.  Typically people flew 30 hours per month and many over 100.  Anyone else fly on Warbirds before 1999?

Kinda makes a $10 monthly charge seem low, especially if it gives you access to a lot of other content.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

16 hours ago, Thomasso said:

$10 a month is nothing if it's really as good as it looks like. I'd be more happy to pay this than $60 for a P3D update.

Spotify, Netflix and other services cost approximately the same and millions of people are subscribed, including me.

For me, it's much better to have subscription and updates included then pay a fixed fee and have an outdated product in 2 months.

That's a valid opinion.  Everybody's else of course is as well, but...as you say...how many of us, don't have a $9.99 (plus monthly sales tax and 'fees'). for other streaming entertainment content.  I'll totally accept that,  and personally feel, that with the multi-millions of development costs as well as the on-going cost to M.S., to host the massive data base in real time...like I said in an earlier message, no eye-brows were raised when I read from another's thread that prompted me to post on Avsim.  What will raise an eyebrow (but with delight!) will be if M.S. does allow a ONE TIME fee/cost, and then you, 'on their CLOUD dime',  fly the MSFS202(x) skies...  That will be a delightful development if that is the case...and Rob does make a very impactful addition to this thread...in that he invited whom he was in PM contact with to publicly post exactly that...hard worded...no misunderstanding from then there on...that you WILL be able to make a choice of a subscription based (with perceived benefits for choosing that), or a one time purchase cost to run the sim, and access their supporting cloud net work.  To date...as he pointed out...(most likely monitoring all the other available avenues that we don't have, but him...) that M.S. based contact has NOT DONE SO.  Why not? That is what I ask myself...as Rob is asking himself.  Why not?  If that is what M.S. is intending to do...then--->speak/publish that fact...to those eagerly waiting on this new sim.  To date?  The sound of only crickets...   That..does have both my eyebrows heading north....

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kaha said:

Karl

Streaming is free.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, snglecoil said:

C’mon, Mitch. I know you are prone to hyperbole, but this is kinda ridiculous. The “insider subscript” costs you only the time it takes to sign up for it. Sign up and get the information for yourself. 

There is no mystery here. The project lead had stated in a few interviews that the program would be available to purchase outright and would be included as part of the Game Pass if you choose that option. They have also said that pricing has not been finalized, thus the reason it has not been published. Now, does that leave he door open for some sort of incremental pricing option for some service in the game? (*gasp* I called it a game) Sure it could, but it doesn’t mean that it will. Until then, everyone just needs to put their pitchforks away.

Funny, no voice in my ear when I type threads, respond in conversations...that I am tagged with 'prone' to hyperbole.  That's like saying that my opinions, merit being dismissed, but yours, for example, should weight impact?  As you say, lol, C'mon Snglecoil...yours is only one of many comments.  Mine is only one of many comments.  Our comments reflect what is on our minds...surely mine is as valid in a forum as yours,  label tagging aside.  Cheers!

BTW, your points are considered.  I don't think anybody in this thread has pitchforks ready to stab the hay..(M.S.)...but more, to the fact, that a printed communication available to all, should be published, (hopefully in due time) and about signing up...yeah...that might be a good avenue, as I have never to date done so.  Valid consideration. 🙂

Edited by Sesquashtoo

5 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Exactly! Confirms once again that I made the correct decision when I put the OP on the ignore list a while back.

..and you are here..totally ignoring...yep...

My ignoring list is empty, as I respect anybody's opinions...even if they are 180 degrees deflected to mine. I would never publicly state that I was dismissing and dissing and disrespecting some one else. That is so shallow... Sorry...

4 hours ago, tweekz said:

Good that you started a topic then... 😕

Besides, this was discussed over and over again already.

...I ask you to remember that I said that I did NOT start this topic in this forum. It was a reference to MSFS2020 made in the P3D Forum.  It was a Moderator that transferred this thread to this forum. Please allow for that...