Sign in to follow this  
pilot87

[P3Dv4.5.14] Voice Control - All Products

Hi All,

I'm having significant issues with my Windows 10 (v1909) voice recognition across all FS2Crew products (NGXu, A3XX, Q400, 747QOTSII, 777). I have my system set up for normal audio to broadcast through an optical output speaker and voice through a headset. It has previously worked but after establishing I likely had a corrupted Windows User profile (significant lag issues with P3D), I moved/re-installed to a new user profile. It has previously worked however I'm uncertain when it stopped working as I don't always use FS2Crew. 

I have confirmed the microphone is working through the speech recognition training as well as recording the headset through audacity. Headset is confirmed as set as default microphone as is the speaker set as default speaker. I have used vPilot with ATC able to hear me. The issue has now been on-going for a few weeks.

Troubleshooting attempted:

Spoiler

• Confirmed no third-party audio software installed (ASUS Audio panel mentioned in another thread)
  • Confirmed language in settings set to ENG-US and confirmed speech recognizer is also ENG-US
  • Confirmed up to date installations of FS2Crew (had uninstalled all and progressively reinstalled Q400 and A3XX so far)
  • Deleted audio device drivers and allowed Microsoft to re-install
  • Confirmed "Allow applications to take exlusive control of this device" is unticked
  • Confirmed USB Selective Suspend setting disabled in Power Settings
  • Confirmed Voice Cancellation off in Realtek Audio Console
  • Reinstalled both EN-AU and EN-US language packs
  • Changed USB ports
  • Confirmed no other microphones are plugged in or detected on the system
  • Confirmed speech recognition set up as per user manual instructions
  • SFC and DISM scans and repairs as applicable via Command Prompt in Administrator Mode

As a side note, I'm starting to believe that the EN-AU language pack is corrupt on Microsoft's end. I attempted to switch to EN-AU now that all FS2Crew products I use can accept Australian English however there is no EN-AU drop down in the speech recognizer despite being available in the "Settings" page, however I am able to talk to Cortana (as a test) with EN-AU settings. The speech package download for EN-AU seems very small when compared to the file sizes for the EN-US and EN-UK speech packages.

Currently I have all non-self discovery add ons disabled to rule out any conflicts there.

In the sim:

• HS confirmed selected
  • Headset confirmed selected in options
  • Audio Test seems to play through speakers and not headset (resets selection to the speaker)

FS2CrewSpeechEngine Log

Spoiler

Current Task: Creating the Critical Section Object... SUCCEEDED!
[Unknown Operating System]
[Unknown Flight Simulator]
Current Task: Creating the ISpRecognizer object... SUCCEEDED!
Microsoft Speech Recognizer 8.0 for Windows (English - US)
Current Task: Creating the ISpRecoContext object... SUCCEEDED!
Current Task: Setting the CallBack Function... SUCCEEDED!
Current Task: Setting the Notifications Interest... SUCCEEDED!
Current Task: Creating the ISpAudio object... SUCCEEDED!
Current Task: Setting the Audio Input... SUCCEEDED!
Current Task: Setting the Recognizer State... SUCCEEDED!
Current Task: Creating the ISpRecoGrammar object... SUCCEEDED!
Current Task: Loading the Command and Control grammar from the FS2Crew Grammar resource file... SUCCEEDED!
Current Task: Setting the rule with id 1 to ACTIVE... SUCCEEDED!

CVR logs are missing for the Q400 and blank for the A3XX.

Is there something I've missed along the way? I'm starting to believe there may be a corruption somewhere in my Windows installation. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Haydn

Hi Haydn,

Does the "Voice" light/button stay illuminated on the FS2Crew Main Panel, or does it force itself back to Button Control?

If the Voice button stays on, it means the Voice Recognition system is at least running.

Edited by byork

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for the quick response. When opening the FS2Crew panel the green bar appears with "Voice Recognition Activated (- United States/US Setting)"

Q400/A3XX - I can't see any voice light. HS drops off at audio reset though and resets to the optical output.

NGXu - Voice(H) remains in the window (H drops off at audio system reset).

Others are not currently installed.

Can I also clarify, if I was to use EN-AU there should be a "Microsoft Speech Recogniser 8.0 for Windows (English - AU)" option that needs to match the Windows 10 voice settings? Have I understood the manual correctly? I've checked my laptop and it doesn't have that option either in the Speech Recognizer properties.

Try this:

Question: I'm running Windows 10.  The system is not hearing my voice.

Answer:

Uninstall Asus Sonic Studio, Asus Sonic Radar and Asus Studio 3 if you have them installed.  You don't need their bloatware. That solved it for one user.  Another user had an audio program called Nahimic running on his laptop.  Exiting that software prior to loading FS solved the issue for him.

If using a laptop, you may need to disable your built in mic on the laptop in order for your headset mic to be detected.

In your Windows "Power Options", ensure that "USB Selective Suspend Setting" is Disabled.

Make sure you're using the Green Bar (DSP on the FS2Crew Main Panel).  You need to be able to 'see' what the Speech Recognition system is "hearing".

Also, are you running the latest versions of FS2Crew?  Please cross check your Version # (It will flash on the FS2Crew Main Panel when you open it), against the change Logs in the forum.

Edited by byork

Thanks Bryan:

19 minutes ago, byork said:

Uninstall Asus Sonic Studio, Asus Sonic Radar and Asus Studio 3 if you have them installed.  You don't need their bloatware. That solved it for one user.  Another user had an audio program called Nahimic running on his laptop.  Exiting that software prior to loading FS solved the issue for him.

Confirmed none of these are installed.

19 minutes ago, byork said:

If using a laptop, you may need to disable your built in mic on the laptop in order for your headset mic to be detected.

Primary computer is a desktop (reference to my laptop was to confirm if there should be an EN-AU option in the speech recognizer and if that has to match the Windows 10 settings - there is no option in the recognizer).

21 minutes ago, byork said:

In your Windows "Power Options", ensure that "USB Selective Suspend Setting" is Disabled.

Confirmed disabled.

21 minutes ago, byork said:

Make sure you're using the Green Bar (DSP on the FS2Crew Main Panel).  You need to be able to 'see' what the Speech Recognition system is "hearing".

Confirmed on - definitely appears initially stating "Voice Recognition Activated (- United States/US Setting)"

22 minutes ago, byork said:

Also, are you running the latest versions of FS2Crew?  Please cross check your Version # (It will flash on the FS2Crew Main Panel when you open it), against the change Logs in the forum.

Confirmed Q400 v3.4A, A3XX v4.0 and NGXu v1.3 against forum logs and FS2Crew Downloads & Updates page.

53 minutes ago, byork said:

Your Windows has all Service Updates... driver updates?

Confirmed Windows and drivers are up to date

Edited by pilot87

Try changing your speech to ENGLISH US since you said your English AU install seemed weird.

Beyond that, I don't know.  You may just need to do a clean install of Windows.  Something may be borked on your windows install.

englishus.jpg

Edited by byork

Thanks Bryan, I was figuring that's where I was headed. Sincerely appreciate your assistance.

Before I completely head down that path, can I get you do double check my settings just in case I've missed something:

1. Windows 10 Language Settings
  2. Windows 10 Language Settings - Speech Part 1 & Part 2 (Scrolled Down)
  3. Control Panel Speech Recognition Settings

Do you know if the Control Panel Speech Recognition Settings should have an EN-AU option? I haven't been able to find any information on that trawling through Microsoft forums. From reading the FS2Crew manuals I'm thinking it should? If I install EN-UK that option pops up but nothing for EN-AU.

Edited by pilot87

30 minutes ago, pilot87 said:

Thanks Bryan, I was figuring that's where I was headed. Sincerely appreciate your assistance.

Before I completely head down that path, can I get you do double check my settings just in case I've missed something:

1. Windows 10 Language Settings
  2. Windows 10 Language Settings - Speech Part 1 & Part 2 (Scrolled Down)
  3. Control Panel Speech Recognition Settings

Do you know if the Control Panel Speech Recognition Settings should have an EN-AU option? I haven't been able to find any information on that trawling through Microsoft forums. From reading the FS2Crew manuals I'm thinking it should? If I install EN-UK that option pops up but nothing for EN-AU.

if  your  going  down that path here is  a good link that  will repair  your  win  10  with out losing  and  addons  or  data,  have  used  it myself  with no issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0

with your  language  settings  i  got  mine  set  to  english  united  states

and  in your last link  control panel   i  got  the  review   and  enable  voice activation  both  ticked

Also i  noticed  in your links  above  in your   windows  and speech  setting  are  different  mine  is  set  english - united  states  in  both  where  yours  is  set  in one  as  au  and the other  as  united  states

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

13 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

if  your  going  down that path here is  a good link that  will repair  your  win  10  with out losing  and  addons  or  data,  have  used  it myself  with no issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0

Thanks Pete, that was the path I was looking at anyway but good to hear I was looking at the right option!

14 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

with your  language  settings  i  got  mine  set  to  english  united  states...

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried changing all three of those settings to your suggestions - still no luck unfortunately.

Sincerely appreciate you taking a look and providing some suggestions - getting frustrated so happy to try anything!

Cheers,

Haydn

Some further feedback:

Microphone

• Completely reinstalled Windows 10 fresh - still the issue persists

Hardware is a Razer Leviathan Soundbar (optical out) and a HyperX Cloud II headset (USB)

After some further troubleshooting, I've discovered the following:

• If I start P3D with the headset set as the active playback device, FS2Crew works
    • I can alter the sound settings within P3D to route sound as I desire (engines, switches to sound bar/voice to headset)
  • If I start P3D with "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek(R) Audio)" selected, FS2Crew does not work
    • RAAS plays through sound bar regardless of what is set in the P3D sound settings
    • No green bar when any words spoken
    • Device in FS2Crew defaults to "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek(R) Audio)" regardless of what was set previously or what is set in the P3D audio settings

So it would appear I have somewhat of a work around but I am completely beat as to why it's occurring. The soundbar has no built in microphone and there are no microphone settings within the Realtek Audio manager (have even tried with the audio manager uninstalled).

Language Settings

Bizarrely, the language seems to work counter to how the manual reads (unless I've misread something - which is entirely possible!). Per my links above (reposted in the spoiler below):

• Windows 10 Settings
    • Display Language - English (Australia)
    • Preferred Language
      • English (Australia) [Default]
      • English (United States)
    • Speech Language - "English (Australia)"
  • Control Panel Speech Recognition Advanced Settings
    • Language - "Microsoft Speech Recogniser 8.0 for Windows (English - US)"
      • There are no other options in the drop down menu
      • "Settings" is unavailable (greyed out)

I would generally consider myself to be reasonably tech savvy and certainly audio savvy but this one has me totally and completely beat! Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I think I'm going to have to chalk this one up to some bizarre Windows setting that Microsoft maybe knows about but no one else does. I haven't been able to find any information any where else that suggests a similar problem.

Cheers,

Haydn

I also have the exact same issue using steel series artics pro and all sound works fine including microphone but just not in fs2crew, any ideas?

All ideas  have already been mentioned.

However, from time to time we see people having problems where their headset doesn't work with the Microsoft Speech Recognition Engine (SAPI) for developers.

I suspect it maybe be a driver issue with their headset, because I often tell them to try their headset with other programs that use SAPI as a test and they have the same problem with that software too.

It usually involves really expensive, more exotic type headsets.

This is why I tell people that it's often best to just use a cheap $30 USB headset.  They're simple and they work.