Sign in to follow this  
BigT65

How Much Resources Does P3Dv4.5 Actually Use?

My flight sim equipment includes an i7 8700K processor @ 4.8 OC, an RTX 2060 Super 8GB graphics card, 32GB RAM memory and 3 24" monitors in surround. Everything runs on SSDs. I still get blurries occasionally and when I have my frame rate limited to 30 it stays between 28 and 30. I do most of my flying in A2A aircraft including the war birds. My favorite for just flying around is the Piper Comanche 250 and I like to fly low. This could be a blurries producer. Anyway, how much of all this stuff does P3Dv4.5 utilize. How much of the CPU is actually used by the sim. What about the resources of the graphics card. Now, I do have my settings quite high, but not maxed out. The blurries, by the way, just recently got worse than they use to be. I think they got worse when I re-installed P3Dv4.5 a few weeks ago. I also have lots of power eating ORBX scenery.

Any thoughts from the experts, Thanks  

Edited by BigT65

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System.

What have you set your fps to in p3d?

If unlimited, try 120 instead.. then limit to 29 in NCP.

Bert

I have the fps limited to 30 and it has been staying pretty much right there. But, even at 30 fps I am getting some blurries. I will check to see what NCP is set at. 

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System.

Stupid question, ...what is ncp; and how to access and set it?

Brian

30 minutes ago, brianVancouver said:

Stupid question, ...what is ncp; and how to access and set it?

Brian

nVidia Control panel, right click on desktop and choose it, it will take a bit to load. on the left side open Manage 3D settings, then open program settings (it will scan your programs) and there is a check box for showing only your installed programs. choose prepar3d(prepar3d.exe) and choose your poison, make sure to save the setup - *and there are no stupid questions, if you don't know the answer.

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

1 hour ago, BigT65 said:

I have the fps limited to 30 and it has been staying pretty much right there. But, even at 30 fps I am getting some blurries. I will check to see what NCP is set at. 

If you are limiting in P3D, your texture loading should be at max.. So, if you are getting blurries, it is time to dial down some settings..

Bert

Thank you all for the very specific advise and instructions.  I will try the same settings.

I suspect this is the wrong string for this question, but is my understanding correct, that Prepar3d (this case v4,5) is intended to be set fps rather than unlimited?  If so, should it be at ~30 fps (assuming my system can realize that)?

Regards,

Brian

1 hour ago, brianVancouver said:

Thank you all for the very specific advise and instructions.  I will try the same settings.

I suspect this is the wrong string for this question, but is my understanding correct, that Prepar3d (this case v4,5) is intended to be set fps rather than unlimited?  If so, should it be at ~30 fps (assuming my system can realize that)?

Regards,

Brian

I do not believe there is a consensus on what the "best" settings are..

Personally , I have unlimited fps set in P3D, and then limit to 29 fps in nvidia NCP.

Bert

Thank you Bert.  Is the net effect of your settings that it seeks to maintain 29 fps, and/or that it tries to use  this as a minimum but will go higher if doable?  ...or something else?

Brian

2 hours ago, brianVancouver said:

Thank you Bert.  Is the net effect of your settings that it seeks to maintain 29 fps, and/or that it tries to use  this as a minimum but will go higher if doable?  ...or something else?

Brian

The former.. it will seek to maintain 29 fps, and the CPU will run cooler than if you set fps to 29 inside the sim.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Thats very useful.  Thanks,

Brian

On 5/17/2020 at 5:14 PM, Bert Pieke said:

What have you set your fps to in p3d?

If unlimited, try 120 instead.. then limit to 29 in NCP.

I tried several different settings for fps in the sim and in the NCP. No matter what i set the NCP at the sim runs at what I have the sim set at. Before I started this topic the NCP was set to off. Right now I have the sim and the NCP set to 40 and the fps are staying between 39 and 40,  mostly 40. The scenery in general is really nice. Blurries are not that bad. I get them mostly flying low in mountain areas and sometimes when descending quickly with a turn. 

When I started this topic what I was trying to find out was how much of the CPU is used by P3D v4.5.  What percentage of how many cores. From what I have seen elsewhere a lot of the CPU is wasted by P3D.

6 minutes ago, BigT65 said:

When I started this topic what I was trying to find out was how much of the CPU is used by P3D v4.5.  What percentage of how many cores. From what I have seen elsewhere a lot of the CPU is wasted by P3D.

Wasted?  If there is no scenery to load, the scenery loading cores are idle..

When there is scenery to load, they are busy.. that is the design..

Bert

Bert, I went back into the sim and changed the fps to 120 and then 29 in the NCP. When the sim is running the fps were jumping around between 50 and 80 and the screens were flashing at a frequency of about 1 per second. I cut the sim setting back to 50 with the NCP at 29 and the flashing stopped and the sim is running at 49 to 50 fps.

I will have to think about what you said about the CPU. I don't know that much about how they work with P3D. It seems that I had seen comments in other places that said the CPU only uses one core.

6 minutes ago, BigT65 said:

I will have to think about what you said about the CPU. I don't know that much about how they work with P3D. It seems that I had seen comments in other places that said the CPU only uses one core.

Watch the Performance tab in Windows Task Manager while P3D is running.

You will see that P3D reserves two cores for its rendering work, and the rest of the cores that you give it, for scenery loading.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert