Sign in to follow this  
Boomer

Best Hardcore Airbus for P3Dv5 please

Well this thread asked for "hardcore airbus simulation in P3D v5", so I've taken up the challenge!

Using my classified Airbus A321, I've decide to cross the pond.

On the active at EGLL:

XVx3P1F.jpg

You asked for hardcore, so PFPX for route planning, ActiveSky beta for weather and LittleNavMap for flight tracking

s944Zd4.jpg

After a smooth initial climb, I engage the autopilot. Now, I don't hold a real-world type rating on the A321 but I don't think the actual airbus banks at this much of an angle. Something that the developer (no names, but - small hint - they're based in Redmond) may need to look at if they're hoping to get this accredited by the FAA for Level D sims.

4Iez7kc.jpg

OK, looks like I'm going to have to hand fly this thing all the way across the pond.

n3EmRVt.jpg

Current status: No turning back now! How are we for fuel? Well, PFPX didn't want to release the flight, so I had to lie and tell the dispatcher that I was taking a 747 out for the trip (not sure if real airbus ATPs ever do this). Also, I just watched the strangely-titled film "Freefall" yesterday (on Amazon Prime), it's about the Gimli Glider and if there's one thing I learned from alpha aviators like Bob Pearson it's that fuel math is for losers.

xy5xTSv.jpg

So that's the current sit rep. Wish me luck! 🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

11 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Well this thread asked for "hardcore airbus simulation in P3D v5", so I've taken up the challenge! 🙂

It's not hardcore unless you do the following...

Raise the gear lever before the weight is off the wheels so they come up the moment you're off the deck but you're still in ground effect prior to actual flying speed having been reached.

At least one barrel roll on the climb out.

Flash your nav and cabin lights in time to the techno track you have playing in the cockpit.

Don't even bother pressurising the cabin.

Khe Sanh Approach into the smallest grass strip you can find.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well, whilst I will defer to your definition of "hard core", Chock, does one get any bonus points if you have to ask the pax to swim the last bit of the trip?

Was reading Fate is the Hunter before dinner tonight, and Gann - no stranger to crossing the pond - noted that the advice was "to ditch on the back side of a swell". 

Pearson and I still maintain fuel math is overrated, but whilst it became evident to me at some stage that New York, New York was looking unlikely, I had hoped for a quick stop over at Gander.

What actually happened:

gCRI8iq.jpg

i3gd8WG.jpg

xM1H9iU.jpg

On the plus side, I'm rating that landing as an 8/10. and unlike Sully and Skiles I did remember to push the "ditching" button.

🙂

• Like 2

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 5/19/2020 at 12:10 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

I just watched a program on Flight 236, A330 both engines out and successful 65nm glide to emergency landing ... hit the deck at 200 knots, no fatalities.  Fortunate the FO had glider experience.  So buy the airbus if you want to save on fuel costs (low cost fairs passed on to the passengers) 🙂

As far as best Airbus, FSLabs P3D ... but if you're looking for cheaper options Aerosoft's A3xx series for P3D ... or on the XP11 side FlightFacter A320.

Cheers, Rob.

Well, we are talking about P53D v5 here, so FSL is not an option.

But the good news is that as of right now, you can add the Aerosoft A330 to this cage match, which might be just the thing if you want to practice your glider skills.

As this aircraft wasn’t available when I did my earlier scientific analysis, I have no opinion as to whether it is more “hardcore” the the Virtualcol or the almost-pond-crossing A321 that I tested.

Oz

On 5/18/2020 at 3:34 PM, Boomer said:

"Fuel math is for losers"...LMFAO.

Im rather looking at this option as I lean towards heavier metal and this looks to be a reasonably priced moderate fidelity option.

https://www.aerosoft.com/us/flight-simulation/prepar3d-v4/aircraft/2886/aerosoft-a330-professional

Curious Chris did you go the A330 Aerosoft route? Let us know how the experience will be...

André