Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Can Little Navmap replace PFPX?

I've always thought that Little Navmap was a better flight planning tool when it came to GA VFR flying and PFPX For IFR. But I'm curious if it can replace PFPX for both? I am trying to limit the amount of add-ons that I need to have on my computer.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I use Little Navmap for all my IFR flights in Prepa3d v4.5 and Xplane 11 using the PMDG737ngx and Zibo 737. A really good feature is the ability to add SID and STAR procedures directly to the plan giving a pictorial representation of your route, which can easily be changed during flight to suit the weather conditions. It connects to your Sim during flight allowing flight tracking and TOD is indicated. Several aircraft performance files are available for download, including the Zibo 737 (which can be edited for the NGX.). It also reads airports Afcad files showing parking positions and taxiways, which is good for deciding on a flight starting gate and taxi route. The various aircraft formats the flightplan can be exported to is immense, even saves and sends routes to the F1 GTN750. IMO far better than PFPX, has regular updates and new features added and uses the Navigraph AIRAC  or stored Sim Nav data for planning. A big bonus is that it's free.

steve southey

I use little navmap all the time, I really enjoy using it and its many features.

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

5 hours ago, JustanotherPilot said:

...Several aircraft performance files are available for download, ...

Do you happen to have a link please?

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

I own PFPX, but i would not recommend it for most users as the devs are hardly proactive with updates or making it compatible with common addons.

LittleNavMap, on the other hand, is a work of art and - as noted - makes an excellent tool for flight planning.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

But no fuel etc right? So "only" situational awareness?. Still awesome,

I use it for VFR flying 🙂

Victor Roos

12 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

But no fuel etc right? So "only" situational awareness?. Still awesome,

I use it for VFR flying 🙂

Yes fuel calculations are present in LNM. Set up and fill out a profile, then go for a flight and LNM with calculate the rest for you. It’s accurate too.

Luke Pype

Can LNM have each leg or segment have its own altitude?

When I first looked at LNM (and other FP for VFR) none that I looked at had the ability to set an altitude per leg.

My real world manual flight plans used to document altitudes for each leg and if different, calculated the extra fuel burn for the climb on that leg.

2 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

Yes fuel calculations are present in LNM. Set up and fill out a profile, then go for a flight and LNM with calculate the rest for you. It’s accurate too.

really? okay, fill out a profile.. Is there one already made? :P. But that is cool!

Victor Roos

13 hours ago, captain420 said:

But I'm curious if it can replace PFPX for both?

you mean for ifr ...... of course not, your question is answered by itself in my opinion !!

one assumes you asking about for the same aircraft ??

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

IMHO use SimBrief for your flight planning/exports, and use LNM for situational awareness (e.g. being able to see how gates are labeled in the sim and if AI is parked at your arrival gate is extremely useful). I don't see the point in using LNM for flight planning if you have to hunt down performance profiles when they're already available on SimBrief.

1 hour ago, Victoroos said:

really? okay, fill out a profile.. Is there one already made? :P. But that is cool!

In the manual, section 6.1 - Aircraft performance

Aircraft    performance    and    fuel    reports    are    shown    in    the    dock    window        Flight    Planning    .
Little    Navmap    provides    functionality    for    editing,    creating    and    collecting    aircraft    performance    profiles.    This    allows    to    determine needed    fuel,    flight    time    as    well    as    climb    and    descent    paths.
Average    performance    data    like    speed,    vertical    speed    and    fuel    flow    is    used    for    the    flight    phases    taxi/takeoff,    climb,    cruise    and descent    to    calculate    fuel    requirements.
The    program    can    either    consider    NOAA    real    world    wind    prediction    or    the    X-Plane    winds    aloft    to    calculate    the    fuel    report. Alternatively,    a    simple    setting    for    wind    at    cruise    altitude    can    be    used    to    adjust    the    plan    for    weather.

and so on...

Luke Pype

5 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

IMHO use SimBrief for your flight planning/exports, and use LNM for situational awareness (e.g. being able to see how gates are labeled in the sim and if AI is parked at your arrival gate is extremely useful). I don't see the point in using LNM for flight planning if you have to hunt down performance profiles when they're already available on SimBrief.

Perfectly described.

My only grouse with LNM is that it has grown to become a monster with so much functionality that it becomes unwieldy to run at times. So I end up just using it for seeing where the parking is on default airports. For VFR flight planning I just use navigraph charts desktop and my GTN750 in-sim. But that is just me...

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Apologies if this is a thread hijack or inappropriate ... but how do both compare to SimTookKitPro?   I am just getting back into the hobby and am looking for the best solution for large GA/regional aircraft.