Sign in to follow this  
tripper721

Looking for advice - RAM vs Graphics Card

I'm thinking of upgrading my computer for FS2020, currently I have 16GB ram and the GTX 980Ti graphics card. I was thinking of upgrading my ram to 32GB and leave my graphic card as is, as new cards seem to be very expensive. A few questions I was hoping someone could help me understand, the 32GB ram, in theory that should help the game run faster/smoother, while a new graphic cards would allow me to run on better settings. Are there upgraded graphics cards that are more cost effective (I'm new to figuring this stuff out and trying not to be awed by all the shiny new cards!).

If I had to pick on or the other, is RAM the first priority and then graphic cards?

Appreciate any help!

I would sit tight for the time being MSFS will not I suspect be before November if then, by then more hardware options will be available and what is available now could well be cheaper, not a good time to buy at the moment.

PS some retailers are already discounting the i9 9900K and the 10th gen CPU don't go on sale till the 20th.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Looking that the system requirements, I would think that wait and see would be your best policy.

Microsoft Flight Simulator minimum requirements

• CPU: Ryzen 3 1200/Intel i5-4460
  • GPU: Radeon RX 570/NVIDIA GTX 770
  • VRAM: 2GB
  • RAM: 8GB
  • HDD: 150 GB
  • Bandwidth: 5 Mbps

Microsoft Flight Simulator recommended requirements

• CPU: Ryzen 5 1500K/Intel i5-8400
  • GPU: Radeon RX 590/NVIDIA GTX 970
  • VRAM: 4GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • HDD: 150GB
  • Bandwidth: 20 Mbps

Microsoft Flight Simulator ideal requirements

• CPU: Ryzen 7 Pro 2700X/Intel i7-5800X
  • GPU: Radeon VII/NVIDIA RTX 2080
  • VRAM: 8GB
  • RAM: 32GB
  • HDD: 150 GB SSD
  • Bandwidth: 50 Mbps

The final software has not been released and no one has tested it for where the best bang for the buck will be. There is also the big question of if when they will move to DX12 which could really shake things up more. 

As G-RFRY stated sit and wait is the best policy right now unless you really have a great lead on an inexpensive upgrades. 

My plan is to build a computer this fall when the AMD 4000 versus Intel 10xxx shakes out and nVidia has released that 30xx or whatever they will be called cards. 

2 hours ago, tripper721 said:

I'm thinking of upgrading my computer for FS2020, currently I have 16GB ram and the GTX 980Ti graphics card. I was thinking of upgrading my ram to 32GB and leave my graphic card as is, as new cards seem to be very expensive. A few questions I was hoping someone could help me understand, the 32GB ram, in theory that should help the game run faster/smoother, while a new graphic cards would allow me to run on better settings. Are there upgraded graphics cards that are more cost effective (I'm new to figuring this stuff out and trying not to be awed by all the shiny new cards!).

If I had to pick on or the other, is RAM the first priority and then graphic cards?

Appreciate any help!

So the question today then is about what you will get from an upgrade - until MSFS 2020 - with your current simulator.   But you failed to mention what simulator you currently use.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

No point adding RAM if you do not actually need it.

You have 16 GB, I have 8 GB.. and am happy, for now 🙂

Check Windows Task Manager and see how much RAM you are currently using..  More RAM will not make things run faster!

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

More RAM will not make things run faster!

Not unless you’re actually running out of physical RAM and your system is having to use virtual memory. However, I agree with you that, as a general principle, more RAM will not guarantee to make things faster.

For the OP, if I had to choose between 32Gb of RAM or a better GPU, I’d go with the GPU. That said, and as others have already advised, I’d be tempted to stick with what you’ve got (assuming that it’s working OK at the moment) until we really know how the release version of the new sim will perform. Not to mention that a lot of new hardware is due to be released in the coming months which might completely transform the flight sim experience - hopefully!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Depending on your budget I would upgrade your video card it will be the biggest bang for the buck. Look at RTX2070 or RTX2080. Both will handle bad weather much better then your current card.

As far as ram, 16GB is fine for now. As others have stated you can monitor your current ram usage to know for sure. You are probably running out of Vram sooner than system ram to be honest. Especially if you play other games. Battlefield V and Battle Front 2 will both easily max out my 8 Gigs of Vram on Ultra settings. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+