Sign in to follow this  
cknipe

New data provider for PSXT

Hi Gents,

I am very pleased to announce the immediate release of ADS-B Live Traffic.  This is a free of charge data provider for PSXT.  ADS-B Live will always be available at http://psxt.flightsimtechnologies.com/ADSB-Live-Latest.zip

The data feeder requires Microsoft .NET 4.8 or later to operate, and naturally a working Internet Connection in order to obtain data.  No connection or interaction with the Flight Simulator itself, is made.

For ADS-B running on the same windows computer as PSXT, simply start the application and the data feeder will connect automatically.  Should you want to run ADS-B from a different computer than PSXT, simply pass the IP address of there it needs to connect to, as a parameter, i.e. "ADSB.exe 192.168.2.100"

Please refer to the Readme.txt file in the archive for a bit more information as well as how to get hold of me in the event of any problems.  

Happy flying everyone!

--

Chris

• Like 3

Just a quick update.  I've made a new version available, 2020-05-18-01.

Brief changelog:

- Parameter now supports both IP address or DNS name of the computer where ADS-B Live must connect to, ie. "ADSB.exe mycomputer" /or/ "ADSB.exe 192.168.1.100"
- Improved exception handling, errors are automatically reported.  If there are any unhandled exception errors, please post them so that they can be addressed.
- Some cosmetic changes to the console window's GUI

I see quite a few people did download the data provider since my initial post.  I would obviously, love to hear feedback, suggestions, and/or complaints 🙂

--
Chris.

Edited by cknipe

Hi Chris,

I gave it a test drive - and yes, it does work. I put my plane to KSFO and ADSC-B spawned 3 life planes plus 50 static planes at the gates. I used FS-FlightControl to display AI planes and saw them on approach. I am quite impressed.

I also tried EGLL where I only found static planes, but that's probably okay at this time of day. 

My setup: I used PSXSeecontraffic plus ADSC-B both on a networked machine with Prepar3d5 running on the main machine.

Initially, I was confused when ADSC-B showed numerous "Connection refused" messages, but this was only until the simulator was up and running (which is long enough). Perhaps these might be suppressed or substituted by more meaningful ones (e.g. wait until simulator is running).

Given I usually only find time in the evenings where there's virtually no traffic in Europe, it would be nice to have time-shifted traffic, but I am afraid this is asking too much from a free program.

Thank you very much for developing this tool. Perhaps Nico can point to it on the PSXSeecontraffic page as a free alternative to Real Traffic.

This was a quick initial test only, and I am afraid I won't find time for more testing this week, but will come back to it in the next week.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hi Michael,

Can definitely change some stuff to handle the initial connection to PSXT better - will work on it today / tomorrow.  There's a few other things that I want to add / change as well.  I'll more than likely do another release in the next couple of days.

In terms of time shifted traffic, it really isn't very easy to do.  It's virtually impossible to take a snapshot of some 6000 aircraft in the air, 24x7 with like 1 second intervals.  I think this is partially why Real Traffic also dropped it.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad to hear it is working well!

16 minutes ago, cknipe said:

In terms of time shifted traffic, it really isn't very easy to do.  It's virtually impossible to take a snapshot of some 6000 aircraft in the air, 24x7 with like 1 second intervals.  I think this is partially why Real Traffic also dropped it.

RT still supports time shift up to 7 days in the past.

Real Traffic provides a time-shift feature, I think it's using a server where data are cached, but server costs money, so this is payware. I mentioned this for you to perhaps have an open eye just in case you'll come across a solution... who knows.

While I am busy this week I can certainly make a quick test in case of a new version. Unfortunately, I am not that educated which plane belongs to which gate (there are always those guys who immediately detect an AA 767 never uses this and that gate at airport K***) as I mainly fly GA from/to ramps. I just hate empty airports and sometimes like some planespotting on a busy airport.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 minute ago, kiek said:

RT still supports time shift up to 7 days in the past.

Didn't know that! 😃  Let's see if we can take the competition on!

2 hours ago, cknipe said:

Didn't know that! 😃  Let's see if we can take the competition on!

It will cost a lot of  (leased) IT, which is expensive. Thats one of the reasons RT is payware.

New version published.  If you have previously downloaded the ZIP file with the executable, please delete and download the proper installer (URL is the same, alternatively use https://psxt.flightsimtechnologies.com/ADSBSetup.zip). Installation is a few clicks and you are done.

Change Log for version 2020.05.19.6 (Build 6, Released 2020/05/19)

• Increased ADS-B Position Receiver timeout (ADS-B incorrectly timed out the connection to PSXT when no data was received for more than 2 seconds)
  • Simplified initial connection to PSXT not to cause confusement to users (now clearly states when it is unable or waiting on PSXT to connect)
  • Implemented automatic software updates on launch (you'll always run the most up-to-date version automatically)
  • Created base installer package

--
Chris

Edited by cknipe
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:52 PM, pmb said:

Real Traffic provides a time-shift feature, I think it's using a server where data are cached, but server costs money, so this is payware. I mentioned this for you to perhaps have an open eye just in case you'll come across a solution... who knows.

I need to look at this in a bit more detail, especially in terms of how to implement this in a "console" application, but I can confirm we will be able to do time shifting for a period of 7 days as well.

I am toying with the idea to change the basic data feeder to a Windows Service (always running in the background, the overhead is minimal), and then perhaps doing a WinForm for settings (settings has already been migrated to ini files in current beta builds), time shifting, and perhaps a little radar screen.

it's all possible, just need to -do- it 🙂

--
Chris.

• Like 4

ADS-B Live Traffic version 2020.06.16 Build 9 has been released.  As always, it is available at https://psxt.flightsimtechnologies.com/ADSBSetup.zip

Change log:

2020.06.16.9         (2020-06-16)

• Settings now saved in INI file %APDATA%\Flight Sim Technologies\ADSB. IP or Hostname as parameter is still accepted as command line parameters on console application.
  • Connects to Simulator via FSUIPC for accurate pressure readings only if FSUIPC/WideFS connection is available (this is optional but gives better accuracy).  You'll notice the pressure change between the METAR received and actual QNH setting
  • User Aircraft is detected via FSUIPC as well so that the correct aircraft icon for the user aircraft can be used on the maps.
  • Redone automatic updater to automatically update application to the latest versions - previous release had problems with automatic updates.
  • WinForm application launched with basic interface (expect more changes in the coming days).  Settings screen, Radar screen, and time shifting still to be done.
  • Installer package integrated into solution
  • Installer package now enables TLS1.2 by default on Windows 7 machines
  • Exception clean-ups and better error handling

What started more than a year ago as a few lines of code just thrown together to see whether I can personally use an alternative to RealTraffic, has now turned into a fully fledged application, consisting of more than 17,000 lines of code!  I have a few things still to implement, but I am confident that we will have a mature and stable application within the next few months that will stand the test of time going forward.

Thanks for all the users, and continued support!  It is appreciated.  More than 1.4 million HTTPS requests has been served by our servers, providing data to users over the last 30 days!

Edited by cknipe
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, cknipe said:
  • Connects to Simulator via FSUIPC for accurate pressure readings only if FSUIPC/WideFS connection is available (this is optional but gives better accuracy).  You'll notice the pressure change between the METAR received and actual QNH setting

So you update the METAR that you send to PSXseeconTrafic with the QNH in the Simulator? That will only work well if the user has a weather program installed that gives the actual QNH, is not it? PSXseeconTraffic needs the actual (real) QNH.

What if you shift time...?

Edited by kiek

12 hours ago, kiek said:

So you update the METAR that you send to PSXseeconTrafic with the QNH in the Simulator? That will only work well if the user has a weather program installed that gives the actual QNH, is not it? PSXseeconTraffic needs the actual (real) QNH.

What if you shift time...?

If a weather program is used, then the weather program can be time shifted as well to match the weather...  METARs will always be current unfortunately.

Either way, timeshifting is still on the todo list, as is the configuration menu.  Can (and more than likely will) add settings to enable/disable various aspects of the program.

The only real difference is that I don't necessarily take the QNH at the closest Airport (METAR), but I take the actual pressure reading at the user's aircraft. 

Edited by cknipe

I downloaded this 
But it says that the closest ICAO is DGTK, while im on ENGM.
EDIT: Seems that RT stil injected the data...RESOLVED
If i click on the config button, nothing is happening.
Currious thow 😉

Edited by EHTX

15 hours ago, EHTX said:

If i click on the config button, nothing is happening.
Currious thow 😉

It's coming, soon (tm)