Sign in to follow this  
Nuggit82

P3dV5 running out of VRAM all the time

Hi!

I have really been struggling to get my head around this. I have tried the other posts but cant find anything that works.

This is really annoying me.

My specs are 

Intel I9 - 9900K @4.9ghz
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super (8GB dedicated graphics memory)

I mean, with these specs I really dont think I should be having these problems.

I also have a problem that the Enhanced Atmospheric checkbox keeps getting unchecked all the time. Not sure if that is related to the vram issue.

Below is my settings.

y5IRhS9.pngfJePr08.png

7 minutes ago, Nuggit82 said:

I also have a problem that the Enhanced Atmospheric checkbox keeps getting unchecked all the time. Not sure if that is related to the vram issue.

I'd say "Ultra" cloud resolution is what is killing you. I find it very hard on fps on my 2080Ti, with 11GB. And, you haven't show the "Lighting" page, several important graphic settings are there too.

4K with 8xAA is stuffing your VRAM up for no purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

9 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

4K with 8xAA is stuffing your VRAM up for no purpose. 

I did absolutely not know that, any suggestion of a good value?:)

What looks good for you on your system. 2xSSAA should probably work Ok with 4K and it's much easier on hardware and fps. And use cloud resolution at Medium or High, the drop in fps from High to Ultra is huge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, virtuali said:

What looks good for you on your system. 2xSSAA should probably work Ok with 4K and it's much easier on hardware and fps. And use cloud resolution at Medium or High, the drop in fps from High to Ultra is huge.

The FPS on my side was not a problem at all... with FPS unlimited I never went below 40. But CTDs and messages that memory ran out.

Just now, Nuggit82 said:

The FPS on my side was not a problem at all... with FPS unlimited I never went below 40. But CTDs and messages that memory ran out.

That's exactly what's supposed to happen in DX12: if everything fits in VRAM, it will run well, until it doesn't fit anymore, and you'll get a crash if the program cannot anticipate a sudden increase in VRAM fast enough so it could have its own memory managing kicking in.

With DX11, video memory managing was made by the DirectX itself and the video drivers so, it was mostly a blackbox to app developers. Which means, it was less likely to crash, but you could have the memory management kicking when you least expected, causing stuttering, black textures regenerating, and generally slower fps.

But the fps can still give you some idea of the impact the various graphic options have. In fact, the VRAM counter is now more important but, of course, it depends a lot how many add-ons that can increase VRAM consumption you have installed.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, virtuali said:

That's exactly what's supposed to happen in DX12

Is there a solution to this issue or are we going to chase those "optimal" settings once again as we did in 32bit P3D and FSX by which I mean pulling those sliders to the right, crashing all the time and reluctantly putting some of them back to the left?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuggit82 said:

the Enhanced Atmospheric checkbox keeps getting unchecked all the time. Not sure if that is related to the vram issue.

It is. TruSky is a beta feature. It pushes things a lot and is not fully optimised. That is the problem, so P3D is turning it off for you. Then you turn it on and off we go again...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Try unchecking the Dynamic texture streaming box, helped me to keep EA on. I am running 4K with 4MSAA, sufficient for me visually. Clouds down to high or medium and since then my 8GB VRAM are enough. I have the bad habit to have a browser with multiple tiles open on a second screen, costs up to 500MB so watching the VRAM usage regularly helps. Obviously, the scenery and the aircraft chosen play a big role. My primary usage is either ORBX US/AU or France VFR Photoreal scenery with GA aircraft. I am quite sure that a heavy jet and a huge airport scenery on top will make things risky. In this case, running v5 without EA and some visual improvements with ENVTEX/ENVSHADE are an alternative. 

Hans

18 minutes ago, virtuali said:

I'm confident LM will keep improving video memory management with updates.

So it's the issue of mismanagement of video memory in P3Dv5 and not the general problem of addons simply eating just too much of VRAM with settings set too high? We're not going to have another OOM situation on our hands like we had in 32bit P3D and FSX and the answer will be "that's just the way the cookie crumbles, lower your settings"?

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

With DX11, video memory managing was made by the DirectX itself and the video drivers so, it was mostly a blackbox to app developers.

So in DX12 video memory is managed by an app, is it not?

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

46 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

Try unchecking the Dynamic texture streaming box, helped me to keep EA on. 

Isn't Dynamic texture streaming supposed to clean up textures you're not looking at?

Thanks.